Newcastle 'want top six finish'

Jimbo

Newcastle 'want top six finish'

Newcastle can challenge for a top six place this season according to Arthur Cox, who is returning to St James' Park to be reunited with boss Kevin Keegan.

Cox managed the Magpies between 1980 and 1984 and was assistant boss during Keegan's first spell in charge, and he is determined to help revive the club.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "We want Newcastle in the top six, and pushing the top four, in the next two seasons.

"Kevin will be looking for a Uefa Cup place this season, if at all possible."

The top four finishers in the Premier League qualify for the Champions League with the fifth and sixth placed entering the Uefa Cup.

But success for one of the top four in the FA Cup means the seventh placed finisher grabs a Uefa Cup place.

Cox, 68, admitted he did not expect Keegan to return to football management from his self-imposed exile which followed his resignation as Manchester City boss in March 2005.

"I am surprised Kevin has returned to football," said Cox. "But Newcastle is the only place he would have come back to.

"Kevin feels he wants to give back to the public what they gave to him when he was a player and what they gave him in his first spell as Newcastle manager.

"I am really looking forward to going back to Newcastle with Kevin. And I will do all I can to help him be successful."

7 Manchester City 39

8 Portsmouth 37

9 Blackburn Rovers 37

10 West Ham United 32

11 Tottenham Hotspur 27

12 Newcastle United 27

12 points from 7th with a few playing today aswell, top 6 finish :lol:

8th, 9th and 10th at best

I've a £15 bet on us finishing 8th or higher, howay!

Ally is archaic german for 'mad as a box of frogs'.

But hey, in optimistic tone, I shall raise a glass to your wager.