John Carver

paddy

hope no one throws the 'bleechers' at him

can you clue me in on this one...

He's referring to when Bellamy (not entirely sure if it was him) threw some chairs at carver when they were arguing.

Edited by Barton7

He's referring to when Bellamy (not entirely sure if it was him) threw some chairs at carver when they were arguing.

Whatever I'm rootin' for the Carver-Man

Edited by Dogmatix

oh yes, this...

Newcastle ready to offload Bellamy

Matt Scott at Highbury

Monday January 24, 2005

The Guardian

Craig Bellamy's Newcastle career is hanging by a thread this morning after a furious selection dispute with his manager Graeme Souness. Newcastle sources indicate the Wales international striker refused to play in a wide position in the build-up to yesterday's 1-0 defeat at Arsenal.

It is said that Bellamy reported himself injured in midweek in an attempt to avoid playing in a position he does not favour, an incident that led to a confrontation in his chairman's office. There, the club have privately recounted, the chairman Freddy Shepherd asked Bellamy whether he was fit, to which the response was a stream of consciousness about his disaffection at playing on the wing.

"On Friday there was an incident that led to a meeting between myself, the chairman and the player," Souness said yesterday. "Bellamy was not happy about playing out there but he has gone about showing his displeasure in totally the wrong way.

"He declared himself injured on Friday. We are trying to create a strong team spirit here and sometimes you have to sacrifice things for the team cause. Our supporters do not want to hear about petulance and a player not working his socks off for the team cause. We will address the situation next week. Bellamy is still contracted to this club."

Souness's description of the outburst prompted an angry response from the forward, who insists he has always been a team player. "I have played 20-odd games out of position this year because I want to play for Newcastle but I don't feel I am doing myself or the club justice," said Bellamy after the match at Highbury, at which he had been a disgruntled onlooker and was not even named among the substitutes.

"I am fully fit and want to play. I have tried to keep silent but it has been a long day for me and it has been a tough one. I knew I wasn't playing today and found out I wasn't on the bench. That disappoints me. I have been doing my job for the team. The fans have seen me week in, week out, playing out of position and trying to do the best I can. But there comes a time when you want to play in your right position. The last thing I want is for Newcastle people to think I don't want to play for Newcastle."

Unfortunately for Bellamy he may not get the chance again. Aston Villa are believed to be ready to match his club's £6m valuation with an appropriate bid, having missed out on the tussle with Everton over James Beattie.

Certainly Souness made little attempt to dampen transfer talk. "I will only have players who will give everything for the club," he said.

Successive Newcastle managers have found the Welshman a troublesome influence. Referred to by Souness's predecessor Sir Bobby Robson as "the gobbiest player I have ever managed," he threw a chair at the then first-team coach John Carver during a furious row - over car parking of all things - at Newcastle airport last season.

Bellamy has also had a very public spat with Souness. Substituted at Charlton on October 17, a match in which he was fielded centrally and scored, Bellamy aimed a volley of abuse at the Scot, which was picked up by Sky cameras.

The incident was played down but it subsequently emerged that the pair had a training-ground fracas, in which Souness grabbed Bellamy by the throat and then dragged him into the gym before the Uefa Cup trip to Panionios of Greece.

Contrary to all expectation Bellamy was selected. Souness, whose relationships with Dwight Yorke, Andy Cole, Andy Todd and Garry Flitcroft while at Blackburn were fractious at best, subsequently said he liked passion in his charges so long as they "did it" on the pitch.

Bellamy recently complained the poor St James' Park playing surface was exacerbating an old knee injury. For once Souness concurred and, bowing to pressure, Shepherd laid a new surface.

Ironically, Bellamy has been one of Newcastle's more effective player this season, his seven league goals making him the club's top scorer. Recently someone asked Souness if Bellamy was happy playing wide and he replied: "I ask Craig where he wants to start, he says through the middle, I say 'OK you're on the left today'."

Souness might feel aggrieved that Bellamy has always been a willing winger for his international team, but the player is adamant that playing in a wide position puts an unnecessary strain on his colleagues.

"We have been linked with centre-forwards and I am playing out of position when I want to go up front," said Bellamy. "I expressed that to the manager and chairman and they said they weren't getting a forward in. I said 'OK, no problem'. I put my views across because I am not doing myself justice if I am out of position. I feel the midfield boys have to sweep up for me because I am so attack-minded."

Though he received assurances that Newcastle will not be moving for a striker, it seems likely that the club, 12th in the Premiership after this defeat, will harden their interest in the £7.5m Portsmouth striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni.

Controversy at St James's Park

November 2001

Bellamy, along with Kieron Dyer, Carl Cort and Andy Griffin, is sent home from Newcastle's Spanish training camp after missing a dinner in honour of the club's president and former chairman Sir John Hall.

September 18 2002

Bellamy aims a headbutt at the Dynamo Kiev defender Tiberiu Ghioane. He receives a three-game ban

March 14 2003

Bellamy is charged by the FA with using foul and abusive language towards an official during Newcastle's defeat at Middlesbrough

October 7 2003

Bellamy is fined £750 after being involved in a drink-fuelled confrontation outside a nightclub

March 23 2004

Bellamy throws a chair at Newcastle's then first-team coach John Carver at Newcastle airport after an angry confrontation

Oct 17 2004

Bellamy is caught on TV apparently directing an obscenity towards the bench as he is substituted against Charlton. Souness says: "He [bellamy] has to sort himself out"

Oct 19 2004

Bellamy and Souness clash at the Newcastle training ground. Reports suggest they had to be pulled apart.

Steve Nicol, ex-Liverpool player, is now manager of New England Revloution, who are owned by the Patriots, who are owned by that Kraft gadgie, who tried to buy Liverpool. MLS fact-tastic.

he threw a chair at the then first-team coach John Carver during a furious row - over car parking of all things - at Newcastle airport last season.

tbf have you seen how much the parking is at the airport......ripofftastic

Saw Charlies car at the gate last night. One of those Chrysler Bentley wannabes, with heouge rims and his name sticthed into all the seats.

Blingtastic

What's the relevence?

Did he throw an embroided chair at someone?

here

Mo Johnstone manager and Paul Winsper is fitness coach

Carver will collaborate with Johnston on roster decisions and managing the team on the field, but will run the day to day training of the team.

yanktastic

Saw Charlies car at the gate last night. One of those Chrysler Bentley wannabes, with heouge rims and his name sticthed into all the seats.

Blingtastic

What's the relevence?

Did he throw an embroided chair at someone?

Newcastle Player > Airport car parking >> Gate Car Park > Newcastle Player

Keep up :razz:

dichio_d.jpg

hows that for a number 9!!

I was going to ask if he still played for them. Didn't he score their first ever goal in the MLS (or some equally amazing fact)?

Yes, he scored their first ever goal ........ in their fifth ever game.

The fact that he was a big part of their offense probably goes a long way towards explaining why they went nearly 1000 minutes without scoring a goal.