Owen - I will reignite spark

bawan

Newcastle United's Michael Owen admits he has not been playing to his full potential, but is confident of returning to his best.

Owen struck his first Premier League goal since October when he headed home on 60 minutes in Sunday's 1-1 draw with Middlesbrough.

The goal was Newcastle's first since Kevin Keegan's return to Tyneside, and Owen is sure that the team are close to regaining their spark.

"Confidence is a big thing in football and if you are not scoring everything seems to fall away," he said in the Daily Mail.

"Hopefully now I will go on a nice little run. With the players we have, Kevin will get this club moving in the right direction.

"I think a few of us, myself included, have not quite played to our full potential but that spark will come with a win."

Newcastle have picked up just two wins in their previous 16 league fixtures and travel to Aston Villa in their next outing on 9th February.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gonna be another tough one this weekend. Villa won't want to lose 2 in a row and will be mighty tough to beat down there. What do you reckon? Draw or could we muster a win. Owen needs to start producing the goods consistently now more than ever.

More chance of lighting a bonfire with a box of wet safety matches.

Your suggestion is quite tempting actually. :lol:

That goal showed that Owen is still class, his positioning and timing to get that header above all the Boro defenders was brilliant.

That goal showed that Owen is still class, his positioning and timing to get that header above all the Boro defenders was brilliant.

;)

Quite excited by what he might be able to do for us for the first time.

Bit confused by the headline though, do you 'ignite' a spark? I thought you created a spark to ignite a flame?

Where's the article from? I'd like to contact the editor and have someone fired.

Edited by Happy Face

;)

Quite excited by what he might be able to do for us for the first time.

Bit confused by the headline though, do you 'ignite' a spark? I thought you created a spark to ignite a flame?

Where's the article from? I'd like to contact the editor and have someone fired.

Rightly so, the headline is nonsense, he should be flogged before sacked imho

Owen was just never going to to be a great success in a non-productive hoofball team, even the Owen of 1998ish.

A nice functional set of wingers, some help from the fullbacks, a quality creative midfielder and someone that gels with him up front and he'd still be a different player.

Then please do it.

End of.

Is it not a bontfire?

Otherwise why's it called a 'bonty'?

Because someone can't spell or likes to insert the t & q's where they shouldn't.

bon·fire /ˈbɒnˌfaɪər/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[bon-fahyuhr] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–noun 1. a large fire built in the open air, for warmth, entertainment, or celebration, to burn leaves, garbage, etc., or as a signal.

2. any fire built in the open.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Origin: 1375–1425; late ME bone fire, i.e., a fire with bones for fuel]

with the right service Owen will be lethal in front of goal, its a fact, it aint rocket science. I still have the faith in him.

He hasn't looked lethal when he's had chances so far. Obviously he'd score more with better service but I think he's nothing more than a slightly better than average Premier League forward these days. Hasn't got enough to his game to be owt special any more.

I do think that Owen has lost a lot of his game. However, let's look at Sunday:

NUFC's first 'goal' disallowed; Owen is the man in the position to score.

NUFC's second 'goal' disallowed (the corner that went out then in): Owen is the man in the position to score.

NUFC's only goal of the game; Owen scores.

A great chance to make it 2 - 0, when the ball is cut back to near the penalty spot; Owen is the man in the postion to score.

The above examples show he does have this knack of being in the right place.

NUFC's second 'goal' disallowed (the corner that went out then in): Owen is the man in the position to score.

A great chance to make it 2 - 0, when the ball is cut back to near the penalty spot; Owen is the man in the postion to score.

Aye, although the corner was about 3 foot out so I think Boro had stopped playing. He also 'scored' against Man Utd. He's still looked very ordinary and hasn't looked remotely like creating a goal for himself. I'm not saying he's shit by any means but he needs it 'on a plate'. Also, people go on about how he'd do this that and the other if he was playing for Arsenal, Man Utd. or whoever. Would he shite, he'd be lucky to make their bench.

Aye, although the corner was about 3 foot out so I think Boro had stopped playing. He also 'scored' against Man Utd. He's still looked very ordinary and hasn't looked remotely like creating a goal for himself. I'm not saying he's shit by any means but he needs it 'on a plate'. Also, people go on about how he'd do this that and the other if he was playing for Arsenal, Man Utd. or whoever. Would he shite, he'd be lucky to make their bench.

Agreed.

If he were playing for Arsenal or Man U he'd likely have scored 2-3 times as many goals in the number of games he has played though.

Owen is a bit of a chicken and egg situation.