Top clubs consider overseas games

Tom

How many of the 50,000 supporters who only go because it's their 'local team' would still turn up if we were in the third division and Ramage and Shola were our star players.

Sunderland's recent history suggest that if they were doing well, the answer is quite a few.

Sunderland are the perfect argument for a PL2.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scudamore and others are using the argument that this is taking the Prem forward and it (The Prem0 shouldn't stand still.

So what happens in four or five years time to keep 'moving forward'? More fuckin' matches abroad I reckon.

Oh, and what about 'burn out', 'tired' and the players in need of the winter break ???? Seems to have been put on the back burner somewhat.

Guaranteed.

For burn out they'll figure something out like have bigger squads, more substitutions, or even a series of games over a longer period offshore. Lets face it flying 23 hours to Melbourne in cattle-class like we'd have to do will fuck you over, flying in luxury I would guess is a LOT less tiring.

It's not our game anymore. Our local team is simply a cog in the machine that is the EPL, and money is the oil that makes it run. IF a club can make more money from playing "away" than it can at home, what do you think they'll do.

Scudamore and others are using the argument that this is taking the Prem forward and it (The Prem0 shouldn't stand still.

So what happens in four or five years time to keep 'moving forward'? More fuckin' matches abroad I reckon.

Oh, and what about 'burn out', 'tired' and the players in need of the winter break ???? Seems to have been put on the back burner somewhat.

Guaranteed.

For burn out they'll figure something out like have bigger squads, more substitutions, or even a series of games over a longer period offshore. Lets face it flying 23 hours to Melbourne in cattle-class like we'd have to do will fuck you over, flying in luxury I would guess is a LOT less tiring.

It's not our game anymore. Our local team is simply a cog in the machine that is the EPL, and money is the oil that makes it run. IF a club can make more money from playing "away" than it can at home, what do you think they'll do.

The machine was created by the clubs themselves, all the power in the PL is in the hands of the chairmen.

As for Australia, hypersonic jets are not far off.

How many of the 50,000 supporters who only go because it's their 'local team' would still turn up if we were in the third division and Ramage and Shola were our star players.

A member of the fanchised elite will never end up in the third division and the bodies comming through the door each game are of secondary importance, income income income the more the better.

The only people who think this is a bad idea is the traditional supporter, and to be honest we are becomming irrelevant

Guaranteed.

The machine was created by the clubs themselves, all the power in the PL is in the hands of the chairmen.

As for Australia, hypersonic jets are not far off.

It was, but now it's the owners - and how many of them are "football people"

I don't see anything wrong with play-offs, they create a bit of drama and excitement, and prevent the end of season pointless mid-table games. One offs are OK for cup competitions, so why not the league? There doesn't seem to be a differentiation between a good cup side and a good league side anymore, the top 4 walk away with both. That said, the PL should have been split years ago, there are too many big teams in the championship, and too many games in the Prem.

Also, we should seriously consider a draft system to get the league back to a level, sporting merit based system rather than a money=success model.

As for the locals not supporting local teams, why would they when most of their football stars are in our country? Half the African nations teams had European based players in. This is the flip side of taking the piss out of Bekham going to America, if no-one wants to see the US/Asian/Japanese leagues improve and would rather steal all their talent, rather than see continents compete for the best players, then prepare to see a PL game Los Angeles or Tokyo.

Go team Newcastle!

dallas_cheerleaders.jpg

Any excuse to search for cheerleaders! :P

They'd be pretty good in that division. No doubt see us winning a lot of games!

No such thing as the Third Division. I only point that out because it's exactly the sort of thing you would pick up on.

No such thing as the Third Division. I only point that out because it's exactly the sort of thing you would pick up on.

:P

Sport is treated like cinema in the US.

A way to sell snacks.

Is Football so different here these days.

I've never been to a 4 hour game of football.

I have, I've also been to an all day game of cricket, no difference IMO

I wonder if cricket will take off in the U.S.? :P

Guaranteed.

I think you're miss reading the singularity that is football culture. Not sure where you're from but in the 'old world' blood ultimately will win over money.

A way to sell snacks.

That wasn't the point, the point was that different sports attract different audiences. The danger for football fans is that the traditional fan is no longer the audience that is being persued.

A way to sell snacks.

That wasn't the point, the point was that different sports attract different audiences. The danger for football fans is that the traditional fan is no longer the audience that is being persued.

Well this has been the case already for a decade or so.

Growing football as a brand for the world I will always support.

But all brands have to have core identity or they destroy themselves.

don't understand why they need to make it a league game, surely we could simply have yet another pre-season friendly tournament for the big clubs in another country?

All this reminds me of how America made sure they destroyed the internal German art market with a carefully constructed campaign to introduce Rauschenberg, Pollock and Warhol into old Europe. It is the case that football is intertwined with national identities and tribal loyalties, something which is an anathama to branding and big business.

Seems far fetched I know. :P

Liverpool and Man Utd are the front line atm in this project.

After all the whining about too many games and needing a winter break, can you really see managers being happy with another game in January - halfway round the world?

Oh they won't like it, but money talks. There'll be a compromise somewhere, no FA cup replays or something

All this reminds me of how America made sure they destroyed the internal German art market with a carefully constructed campaign to introduce Rauschenberg, Pollock and Warhol into old Europe. It is the case that football is intertwined with national identities and tribal loyalties, something which is an anathama to branding and big business.

Seems far fetched I know. :P

Liverpool and Man Utd are the front line atm in this project.

It used to be, mainly because the only way to see the game and to establish a connection with a team was to go, hence it was local and by definition "tribal", it just wasn't accessible otherwise.

How many Man U fans live in Surrey, how much of a leap is it for there to be as many in outer mongolia (if they have tellies in their Yak pens). Look at the number of foreign Toon fans who post on here.