Top clubs consider overseas games

Tom

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely that any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world

BBC Sport believes there would be five venues, with two games - on a Saturday and Sunday - taking place at each one.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one.

"The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said.

"But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game.

Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead.

"This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world," added Bose.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the advantages.

"Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."

Just which cities "It will be like cities bidding for the Olympic Games or the World Cup."

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The English Premier League is considering playing some matches overseas, BBC Sport has learned.

At a meeting in London on Thursday, all 20 clubs agreed to explore a proposal to extend the season to 39 games.

Those 10 extra games would be played at venues around the world, with cities bidding for the right to stage them.

It is understood the additional fixtures could be determined by a draw but that the top-five teams could be seeded to avoid playing each other.

It is unlikely that any decision will be taken before the Premier League's annual summer meeting in June.

Should the proposal get the go-ahead, cities in Asia, Middle East and North America are likely to show a strong interest in hosting the extra games.

This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world

BBC Sport believes there would be five venues, with two games - on a Saturday and Sunday - taking place at each one.

BBC sports editor Mihir Bose says the Premier League's decision to explore such a move is a "logical" one.

"The growth of the Premier League has been impressive in the last 15 years thanks to the sale of television rights in this country," he said.

"But now the market in the United Kingdom is becoming saturated and it is the overseas market which is now the big target area."

A number of top-flight clubs already play matches around the world as they seek to capitalise on the huge global interest in the English game.

Manchester United are regular visitors to Asia, Middle East and America while other clubs are beginning to follow their lead.

"This is a chance for the Premier league to showcase their product around the world," added Bose.

"Some fans may feel aggrieved, but their concerns will be outweighed by the advantages.

"Clubs will see this as a chance to make more money so they can invest in new facilities and better players."

Just which cities "It will be like cities bidding for the Olympic Games or the World Cup."

In other words the fans don't want it but fuck them, it will make us money.

Says everything that is wrong with football right there.

Setting aside English fans some of whom do have a thing about not missing games, this is a complete fucking joke.

Man U and Liverpool games would get high crowds - as for the rest - can you imagine Fulham Vs Blackburn played in Singapore? - absolutely no crowd whatsoever.

I would quite seriously be happy to see the people whose idea this is being shot.

Worst idea I've had in some time. So it'll probably happen. What about all the whingeing about fixture congestion btw?

So it was you!

:P

Heard, even. Also, if it does happen it'll be branded as 'taking the game to the overseas fans' when in fact it'll be watched by the rich and corporates etc. with the less well-off being well and truly priced out of the market.

Worst idea I've had in some time. So it'll probably happen. What about all the whingeing about fixture congestion btw?

So it was you!

:D

Heard, even. Also, if it does happen it'll be branded as 'taking the game to the overseas fans' when in fact it'll be watched by the rich and corporates etc. with the less well-off being well and truly priced out of the market.

I could actually see this happening, acrossthepond will be over the moon :D

In other words the fans don't want it but fuck them, it will make us money.

Says everything that is wrong with football right there.

Stinks to high heaven this idea. Only reason these stupid 5.15 Sat kickoffs happen is for the Asian market, tough shit to the fans who actually go to the games especially away fans. Boils my piss that I'm having to get up in the early hours to travel to beautiful brum on Saturday.

Complete joke of an idea.

The only way it would work would be to extend the season which would mean it replacing the ludicrous American/Asian tours most of the top clubs undertake pre-season. Those games are supposed to part of pre-season training and just exhibition matches, no way should they become part of the league campaign.

If the FA want to arrange them as exhibition matches pre-season then it could possibly distribute some of the money better throughout the league than it is now but the Man Utd's etc are never going to agree to that.

This is absurd, and for that reason I simply can't see it happening.

Its absurd and for that reason i CAN see it happening!

As somebody said, if something will make money and most importantly make money for the big clubs then there's a damn good chance it'll happen!

This is a disgrace, when the Americans held that NFL game in London I started wondering how long it would be until one of these greedy scumbags did the same with football. They are just pandering to glory hunters over seas it's pathetic I don't know how much longer I will stay interested and keep going to games if this is the kind of shite they are going to start pulling.

Actually just remembered Man U went to Dubai or somewhere a month or so ago to play a friendly game simply because they were offered alot of cash to do so, if they are already moaning about fixtures when playing champions league games flying to Dubai in the middle of the week to play a game then flying back to England to play a premiership game 3 days later can't do them any good, I'd have been pissed off if I was a Man U fan like.

edit/ Just thought if this does mean games are added onto the regular season it would be even worse, imagine your team being relegated when their in singapore you'll have no chance to "cheer them on" since that seems to matter so much to them, or if they are challenging for Europe. The ends of seasons would become boring affairs it would be like watching foreign footy and you'd probably have to stay up late at night/early in the morning to watch them fucking joke.

Edited by Barton7

So it was you!

Oi!

This is idiotic. This is a redux of the ridiculous Wembley NFL game and it's just as poor an idea. The Premier League doesn't need to go after fans abroad, it's already the most-watched league in the world. I also note with some cynicism the "top five won't play each other due to a seeding system" a.k.a. little clubs get hammered in front of sellout plastic crowds who don't know any players' names and can only sing "Go Man U!" and they get all the $$$.

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

So it was you!

Oi!

This is idiotic. This is a redux of the ridiculous Wembley NFL game and it's just as poor an idea. The Premier League doesn't need to go after fans abroad, it's already the most-watched league in the world. I also note with some cynicism the "top five won't play each other due to a seeding system" a.k.a. little clubs get hammered in front of sellout plastic crowds who don't know any players' names and can only sing "Go Man U!" and they get all the $$$.

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Fair enough.