Top clubs consider overseas games

Tom

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worst idea I've had in some time. So it'll probably happen. What about all the whingeing about fixture congestion btw?

So it was you!

:D

Heard, even. Also, if it does happen it'll be branded as 'taking the game to the overseas fans' when in fact it'll be watched by the rich and corporates etc. with the less well-off being well and truly priced out of the market.

:P

I could actually see this happening, acrossthepond will be over the moon :D

Oi!

This is idiotic. This is a redux of the ridiculous Wembley NFL game and it's just as poor an idea. The Premier League doesn't need to go after fans abroad, it's already the most-watched league in the world. I also note with some cynicism the "top five won't play each other due to a seeding system" a.k.a. little clubs get hammered in front of sellout plastic crowds who don't know any players' names and can only sing "Go Man U!" and they get all the $$$.

Terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

And that bit about seeding teams makes it the biggest joke of all.

Lets say a team like Bristol City comes up next year. The highlight of their fan's season will be to see them play at home to Arse, Man Utd, Chelski etc. Instead their supporters will be told their 'home' league game is being played in Singapore! I'm sure they'll be delighted.

The Wembley NFL game was a double sell-out. I said it would happen for the PL, and most people said I was nuts. It makes commercial sense, anyone crying on about what it does to the fans needs to think about why they pay for Sky or how John Hall made his millions or how the England team are put second by PL managers or how English players can't get a game for their home town club ahead of some 18 year old immigrant or how the PL is now the best league in the world just 20 years after being the pariah of world football. Wake up and smell what you shovelling.

What a joke, everything in this country is being diluted and it's horrible to see. Even though Enoch Powell was right in someways with his rivers of blood speech of 1969, this isn't the main thing that's fucked this country. It's being yankified. Our cities are even looking more and more like America, even places like Leeds who nobody cares about, we have McDonalds type places, other yank shops, our out of town shopping centres like Bluewater, Meadowhall, and fuckin that other one in Essex, they're all built on the yank mall concept. It's a fuckin load of bollocks, if I wanted to live in a cuntish country like America I'd move there. Look at our beautiful streets like Regent Street, Dean Street and Buchanan Street (not wors granted), that's real England (Britain), not this shitey yank model. That's how our architects should be building our toons, looking at the best parts of our architectural heritage not copying off the worst aspects of yank architectural heritage. We're turning more and more in to yanks, even our people are turning in to fat cunts, you should see the derby on me even.

This venture is copying NFL, and it stinks, it's a fuckin absolute joke. Imagine you've not missed a game in 20 years, and you have to go to the expense of flying to Sydney to see the toon take on Fulham, greedy fuckin arseholes. That's all these yank bastards are here for in the Premiership, because they know through ventures like these the Premiership can become one of the biggest money making ventures on earth up there with brands like Microsoft and NIKE, I don't think that's exaggerating it. Potentially the league in financial terms is 20 times bigger than NFL, the yanks know this and can see the $$$ in front of their eyes. Cunts. That said from a selfish point of view, it would be a unique experience to see the toon in Bangkok or Tokyo.

I think if it goes ahead the 5 venues will be out of the following places: Riyadh, Bangkok (nailed on imo), Malaysia, Hong Kong (see Bangkok), Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, Johannesburg (oh dear), Los Angeles, New York, Toronto, Boston or Seattle.

The Wembley NFL game was a double sell-out. I said it would happen for the PL, and most people said I was nuts. It makes commercial sense, anyone crying on about what it does to the fans needs to think about why they pay for Sky or how John Hall made his millions or how the England team are put second by PL managers or how English players can't get a game for their home town club ahead of some 18 year old immigrant or how the PL is now the best league in the world just 20 years after being the pariah of world football. Wake up and smell what you shovelling.

Unless I'm mistaken, the point you are missing is that English league football games have traditionally been played in England. End of story. The rest is irrelevant.

What a joke, everything in this country is being diluted and it's horrible to see. Even though Enoch Powell was right in someways with his rivers of blood speech of 1969, this isn't the main thing that's fucked this country. It's being yankified. Our cities are even looking more and more like America, even places like Leeds who nobody cares about, we have McDonalds type places, other yank shops, our out of town shopping centres like Bluewater, Meadowhall, and fuckin that other one in Essex, they're all built on the yank mall concept. It's a fuckin load of bollocks, if I wanted to live in a cuntish country like America I'd move there. Look at our beautiful streets like Regent Street, Dean Street and Buchanan Street (not wors granted), that's real England (Britain), not this shitey yank model. That's how our architects should be building our toons, looking at the best parts of our architectural heritage not copying off the worst aspects of yank architectural heritage. We're turning more and more in to yanks, even our people are turning in to fat cunts, you should see the derby on me even.

This venture is copying NFL, and it stinks, it's a fuckin absolute joke. Imagine you've not missed a game in 20 years, and you have to go to the expense of flying to Sydney to see the toon take on Fulham, greedy fuckin arseholes. That's all these yank bastards are here for in the Premiership, because they know through ventures like these the Premiership can become one of the biggest money making ventures on earth up there with brands like Microsoft and NIKE, I don't think that's exaggerating it. Potentially the league in financial terms is 20 times bigger than NFL, the yanks know this and can see the $$$ in front of their eyes. Cunts. That said from a selfish point of view, it would be a unique experience to see the toon in Bangkok or Tokyo.

I think if it goes ahead the 5 venues will be out of the following places: Riyadh, Bangkok (nailed on imo), Malaysia, Hong Kong (see Bangkok), Shanghai, Tokyo, Sydney, Melbourne, Johannesburg (oh dear), Los Angeles, New York, Toronto, Boston or Seattle.

I agree in principle.

And it's a sad sight when even a 21 year old lad (me not you :P) can see his country has declined...

Unless I'm mistaken, the point you are missing is that English league football games have traditionally been played in England. End of story. The rest is irrelevant.

Exactly. This is a very dark day for "English" football. Sky/Setanta piss me off enough with the rediculous kick-off times, this would be fucking shambolic.

Apart from Wales of course. And where's Berwick by the way?

NFL is a whole different game - franchises are moved at will and its completely setup for TV - there is no travelling support.

I'd also say that people who went to the NFL game at wembley would be "sky boy" type sports fans - completely at home with the franchise mentality and that of picking a random team in another continent to "support".

If someone in Singapore wants to pay to watch games on TV I have no objection - but if they want to prevent my "right" to see my team play if I so choose then they can fuck off.

I say all this knowing I would probably be daft enough to go to a game there.

Potentially the league in financial terms is 20 times bigger than NFL

Doubtfull 20, but yes, the recent investors have not just turned up because of the next Sky deal or to sell more shirts in England. Anyway, console yourself that all the Thai's/Ozzies/Arabs who love the Toon now get to see a match. If a bloke from Heddon, Northumberland can lord it over someone from south of the river, then I don't see why this can't happen.

NFL is a whole different game - franchises are moved at will and its completely setup for TV - there is no travelling support.

I'd also say that people who went to the NFL game at wembley would be "sky boy" type sports fans - completely at home with the franchise mentality and that of picking a random team in another continent to "support".

If someone in Singapore wants to pay to watch games on TV I have no objection - but if they want to prevent my "right" to see my team play if I so choose then they can fuck off.

I say all this knowing I would probably be daft enough to go to a game there.

Well if it's a rights issue, we should book the High Court again, because NUFC has been steam rollering the fans 'rights' for a while now. I'm pretty sure there are plenty of travelling fans in NFL by the way, would you be so willing if your nearest away fixture was pompey?

Doubtfull 20, but yes, the recent investors have not just turned up because of the next Sky deal or to sell more shirts in England. Anyway, console yourself that all the Thai's/Ozzies/Arabs who love the Toon now get to see a match. If a bloke from Heddon, Northumberland can lord it over someone from south of the river, then I don't see why this can't happen.

How many times do you have to be told? No cunt is from Heddon, Big Dunc and his pigeons lived there but not now!

How many times do you have to be told? No cunt is from Heddon, Big Dunc and his pigeons lived there but not now!

8 miles from the ground you said yourself, there's no other option, unless you were born in a barn.

8 miles from the ground you said yourself, there's no other option, unless you were born in a barn.

Pipe down a bit.

Premier League 20 times bigger financially than the NFL :P

Some would put that down to utter ignorance if you had history for that sort of thing.....

Edited by Sima

Apart from Wales of course. And where's Berwick by the way?

Pity I deleted that sentence you have just posted. I thought it was such an inane one to leave in. :P

You're a cock mate

Talking utter shite again.

At least you're consistent.

I don't think I've ever been more right.

Care to explain how the Premier League can potentially be 20 times richer than the NFL when it's debatable if it's even richer at the present time? Or just going to spout uniformed gibberish?

Haha, scratch that it's nowhere near as lucrative as the NFL - 5 networks host the games, each paying at least $500m a season, ESPN pay $1.1bn

Edited by Sima

NO WAY HOSE or whatever countries these games would be played in.

The only teams who would benefit would be the big 4 who would see thier over inflated bank balances get even bigger.

If they were exhibition matches then maybe but then what would be the point.

If these games are to count for points and the top teams are seded not to play each other it would be grossly unfair.

If you look at the current league table and say Fulham had a couple more points and say they were drawn against Derby and suppose Wigan were drawn against one of the big 4 and lost it would keep Fulham up and send Wigan down. At the moment the system is fair as all teams play each other home and away but the propsed extra game will give those with an easy draw an unfair advantage.

Its also open to corruption with the possibillity of bungs to throw results.