Budget Airlines in America

themags

JetBlue, Air West, South West

37413[/snapback]

Saw live coverage (slightly voyeuristic really) of an emergency landing of a JetBlue plane on CNN late last night. Landing gear was stuck at a 90-degree angle. :lol:

Could always try Delta....

I heard their flights will be going cheap! ;)

37552[/snapback]

:lol:

Don't get it?

37554[/snapback]

Delta and Northwest just declared bankruptcy last week.

OTOH, I think 4 of the top 5 airlines are currently bankrupt....

BA calls for US airline closures

BA boss Rod Eddington

Mr Eddington took over at BA in 2000 and helped improve profits

Rod Eddington, the outgoing boss of British Airways, has complained that the US unfairly protects its airlines.

Speaking at an industry meeting, Mr Eddington said that "America, the land of the free, is turning itself into the land of the free ride".

Four of the biggest US airlines are in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, which effectively allows them to keep flying while they sort out their finances.

Mr Eddington said there were too many airlines and some needed to close.

Busier skies

"The world does not need 300 airlines," Mr Eddington explained, adding that a number of airlines are "operating in protected markets".

"They exist because of political demand," he continued. "They are hoovering up public funds and they still can't make a profit."

Mr Eddington, who retires from BA at the end of this month, estimated that "in the last four years, the US airlines have soaked up $15bn to $20bn [£8.4bn to £11bn] of public subsidies and loan guarantees".

He said there was enough business for between 10 and 20 major airlines worldwide, and that takeover rules need to be relaxed to make consolidation easier.

The comments came during one of Mr Eddington's last engagements at the helm of BA, and after Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines filed for Chapter 11.

The two firms joined United Airlines and US Airways, which already had filed, and their action now means that four of the seven biggest US firms are seeking protection from their creditors.

Airlines worldwide are having to cope with increased competition from low-cost carriers and surging fuel prices.

The former boss of Aer Lingus, Willie Walsh, will take over from Mr Eddington.

What! the people who bought B Caledonian, Dan Dair, who spread rumours about F Laker and hacked into Virgin's Business class database???

heaven forefend Sima, heaven forefend..................

I once got a flight from a really small American airline back from Cancun called "Sun Country". They had been sent in to replace our knackered British Caledonian flight (26 hours delay :lol: ). I think they claimed to be the second biggest airline in Minnesota or something, which was hardly reassuring.

Anyway, being a nervous flyer I wasn't impressed when they told us "This is the first time any of us, or this plane, has flown across the Atlantic before, so it's an adventure for all of us, yee haaa*". It couldn't even make it one go - it had to refuel in Bangor, Maine. Got us back in the end though, thankfully.

* Yee haa put in for dramatic purposes.

I once got a flight from a really small American airline back from Cancun called "Sun Country". They had been sent in to replace our knackered British Caledonian flight (26 hours delay  :lol: ). I think they claimed to be the second biggest airline in Minnesota or something, which was hardly reassuring.

Anyway, being a nervous flyer I wasn't impressed when they told us "This is the first time any of us, or this plane, has flown across the Atlantic before, so it's an adventure for all of us, yee haaa*". It couldn't even make it one go - it had to refuel in Bangor, Maine. Got us back in the end though, thankfully.

37992[/snapback]

Could have been one owned by the Firm - a guy I knew in Canada used to go on about how he used to get really cheap flights to the West indies with a US airline none of us had heard of - they had one DC-8

Latter turned out to be CIA owned..................

I once got a flight from a really small American airline back from Cancun called "Sun Country". They had been sent in to replace our knackered British Caledonian flight (26 hours delay  :lol: ). I think they claimed to be the second biggest airline in Minnesota or something, which was hardly reassuring.

37992[/snapback]

The largest Airline in Minnesota is Northwest, one of the biggest in the world, so being the 2nd biggest in Minnesota isn't that small of a claim. Sun Country is a budget airline but generally better than America West or South West.