Andy Carroll - Is he the player we need?

sirrus1881

I have always been a massive fan of Alan Smith and always wanted that type of player playing for the toon, But once again Alex Ferguson got it right by selling us a player who has never recovered from the leg break he suffered and is costing us points each and every week by the lack of threat he poses up front (dont get me onto Joey Barton).

Whilst I have seen a bit of Andy Carroll i like what I see and would like to see him given his chance after all he cannot do much worse than our current situation suggests. And feel now is the time for us to get some menace up front and be a bit more of an aerial threat.

As for those that suggest he could not do it at Preston here is some comments from the preston manager Alan Irvine to ponder:

Andy Carroll can one day pull on the No 9 jersey at Newcastle United, according to his former loan boss Alan Irvine.

The Gateshead-born striker is desperate to impress new manager Kevin Keegan.

Carroll might get his chance against Manchester United tomorrow, with Obafemi Martins struggling to make Keegan's squad because of an ankle problem.

The 19-year-old – who returned from a six-month spell at Preston North End at the start of the month – was pulled out of Monday night's reserve game against Liverpool as a precaution.

And Irvine says Carroll – who scored just once for the Lilywhites in a frustrating spell at Deepdale – has the potential to go all the way in the game.

He told the Echo: "Andy's got massive potential, and I've said that to him.

"At the moment, he might be a young lad who doesn't realise what he's got.

"He's a fantastic shape and size, and has a terrific touch with both feet. He strikes the ball really well, and is wonderful in the air.

"But he needs to properly focus on football. He needs to fully concentrate on being the best he can be.

"I've had a chat with him, and wished him well. I told him how much potential I think he has, and I hope he uses a little bit of that advice.

"I said to him 'you can become a great No 9 for Newcastle'. He knows all about the No 9 jersey, and his target should be to become a No 9 for Newcastle."

Carroll – who struck against Juventus in pre-season – had been a regular starter under Irvine's predecessor Paul Simpson.

But after Simpson's dismissal, Carroll saw his first-team opportunities limited, and the loan was not extended beyond January 1.

Irvine, ironically Academy director at Newcastle when Carroll signed for his hometown club, says Carroll was a victim of circumstance. He said: "I didn't play Andy as often as he would have liked, but there's a reason for that. I had six strikers when I walked into the job, and I had to make some changes.

"I knew in this transfer window it was almost certain I would lose Andy and Paul Gallagher, and I had to know who I had signed for the club.

"He was a victim of those circumstances."

Irvine went on to add: "It's been a test for him. You look around the Championship, and there aren't many young players playing on a regular basis.

"It's a big ask. People think players playing reserve team football can go and play anywhere else, but it's not as easy as that. You must be an exceptional talent."

During his spell in charge of United's Academy, Irvine worked with the likes of Shola Ameobi, Steven Taylor and Steve Caldwell as they rose up through the ranks.

He left more than five years ago to become David Moyes's No 2 at Everton, and became a manager in his own right at Preston in November.

He's a big prescence who certainly lets the defenders know he's there. He also seems to be able to win headers which even Viduka has struggled to do this season. Is that good enough though? With the form of Smith, Viduka and Shola, he might as well get a shout.

I have always been a massive fan of Alan Smith and always wanted that type of player playing for the toon, But once again Alex Ferguson got it right by selling us a player who has never recovered from the leg break he suffered and is costing us points each and every week by the lack of threat he poses up front (dont get me onto Joey Barton).

Whilst I have seen a bit of Andy Carroll i like what I see and would like to see him given his chance after all he cannot do much worse than our current situation suggests. And feel now is the time for us to get some menace up front and be a bit more of an aerial threat.

As for those that suggest he could not do it at Preston here is some comments from the preston manager Alan Irvine to ponder:

Andy Carroll can one day pull on the No 9 jersey at Newcastle United, according to his former loan boss Alan Irvine.

The Gateshead-born striker is desperate to impress new manager Kevin Keegan.

Carroll might get his chance against Manchester United tomorrow, with Obafemi Martins struggling to make Keegan's squad because of an ankle problem.

The 19-year-old – who returned from a six-month spell at Preston North End at the start of the month – was pulled out of Monday night's reserve game against Liverpool as a precaution.

And Irvine says Carroll – who scored just once for the Lilywhites in a frustrating spell at Deepdale – has the potential to go all the way in the game.

He told the Echo: "Andy's got massive potential, and I've said that to him.

"At the moment, he might be a young lad who doesn't realise what he's got.

"He's a fantastic shape and size, and has a terrific touch with both feet. He strikes the ball really well, and is wonderful in the air.

"But he needs to properly focus on football. He needs to fully concentrate on being the best he can be.

"I've had a chat with him, and wished him well. I told him how much potential I think he has, and I hope he uses a little bit of that advice.

"I said to him 'you can become a great No 9 for Newcastle'. He knows all about the No 9 jersey, and his target should be to become a No 9 for Newcastle."

Carroll – who struck against Juventus in pre-season – had been a regular starter under Irvine's predecessor Paul Simpson.

But after Simpson's dismissal, Carroll saw his first-team opportunities limited, and the loan was not extended beyond January 1.

Irvine, ironically Academy director at Newcastle when Carroll signed for his hometown club, says Carroll was a victim of circumstance. He said: "I didn't play Andy as often as he would have liked, but there's a reason for that. I had six strikers when I walked into the job, and I had to make some changes.

"I knew in this transfer window it was almost certain I would lose Andy and Paul Gallagher, and I had to know who I had signed for the club.

"He was a victim of those circumstances."

Irvine went on to add: "It's been a test for him. You look around the Championship, and there aren't many young players playing on a regular basis.

"It's a big ask. People think players playing reserve team football can go and play anywhere else, but it's not as easy as that. You must be an exceptional talent."

During his spell in charge of United's Academy, Irvine worked with the likes of Shola Ameobi, Steven Taylor and Steve Caldwell as they rose up through the ranks.

He left more than five years ago to become David Moyes's No 2 at Everton, and became a manager in his own right at Preston in November.

Needs to stop going out on the piss basically.

What are you honestly going to lose by playing carroll instead of smith? goals - no, the aerial threat - no, somebody who tries hard - no - can't see a down side - viduka is obviously a preferred option but if he isn't fit then i would give carroll a game ahead of smith and ameobi every time.

My only worry is that he will put smith into midfield just to accommodate him which would counteract any benefits gained from carroll up front as he will always give free kicks away in dangerous areas mainly due to the fact that he can't tackle, run, kick the ball straight or win a header

My worry about Carroll is that he went down a division to Preston and got something like 1 goal in 12 games which you'd have expected him to do better than.

However when i've seen him, i've liked the look of him enough to say i'd give him a shot ahead of Smith and Shola to see what he can do, but if fit i'd be starting with somthing from Owen/Viduka/Martins.