Newcastle United 95/96 Season Review 'So Close'

Tooj

Glad I was too young to give a shit that season, fucking hell. <_<

You missed out, despite the ending, you missed out.

Aye, I know, I've had the rest of the fucking shite since.

Wasn't until the following season that games started to be shown over here and I was able to follow the team. Glad I missed out on that heartbreak.

Question: Does anyone think things might have been different if we'd gotten a visa for Brad Friedel? He wasn't then what he is now, but still would likely have been an improvement on Hislop/Pav. I've heard it said by several people (not on this side of the pond either) that if we'd had a GK that year, we'd have won the title.

Just watched this for the first time without it depressing me for once. Howay the lads! :nufc:

Good memories man. Awesome times, absolutely awesome times. I remember going into school the Monday following and trying the "Tino" after his setup for Watson.

aww fuck wheres the tissues , damn so many memories .

tino in the snow has gotta be one that always stick in my mind , and stevie watsons goal from the edge of the box , him and clarkey did well for us.

Wasn't until the following season that games started to be shown over here and I was able to follow the team. Glad I missed out on that heartbreak.

Question: Does anyone think things might have been different if we'd gotten a visa for Brad Friedel? He wasn't then what he is now, but still would likely have been an improvement on Hislop/Pav. I've heard it said by several people (not on this side of the pond either) that if we'd had a GK that year, we'd have won the title.

Nah, I dont think so. Friedel was crap at Liverpool for years. Didnt come good over here until his move to Blackburn,

Looking back at the highlights though you can see that the majority of the goals in that season were Pavs fault. However, the highlights didnt show the world class saves before the howlers.

Nah, I dont think so. Friedel was crap at Liverpool for years. Didnt come good over here until his move to Blackburn,

Looking back at the highlights though you can see that the majority of the goals in that season were Pavs fault. However, the highlights didnt show the world class saves before the howlers.

While I definitely agree that Friedel wasn't as good then as now, (Although, come to think of it, he had a spectacular Copa America in 1995.) I feel the need to point out how consistently crap Liverpool GKs were at that point before going elsewhere and being good (or vice-versa) examples include: David James, Brad Friedel, Jerzy Dudek. I seem to recall James stating on several occasions that Liverpool's GK training was very sub-par.

Having seen games from that year (as well as more from the following season,) I tend to believe that he would have been an improvement on Pav/Hislop, but not enough of one to change the course off the season by himself. The one thing that might have done it would be to give a clear number one with whom the defense could try to gel. I admit that I don't know how much the two were swapped during the season.

• 8 months later...

While I definitely agree that Friedel wasn't as good then as now, (Although, come to think of it, he had a spectacular Copa America in 1995.) I feel the need to point out how consistently crap Liverpool GKs were at that point before going elsewhere and being good (or vice-versa) examples include: David James, Brad Friedel, Jerzy Dudek. I seem to recall James stating on several occasions that Liverpool's GK training was very sub-par.

Having seen games from that year (as well as more from the following season,) I tend to believe that he would have been an improvement on Pav/Hislop, but not enough of one to change the course off the season by himself. The one thing that might have done it would be to give a clear number one with whom the defense could try to gel. I admit that I don't know how much the two were swapped during the season.

:jesuswept: