Souness explains hamstring curse

chip2388

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4274086.stm

_40822456_souness_203.jpg

Newcastle manager Graeme Souness believes the playing surface at the club's training ground may be to blame for a spate of hamstring injuries.

Kieron Dyer, Emre and Albert Luque have all suffered similar injuries, and Souness says a pattern has emerged.

He said: "We've lost close on 600 days to hamstrings alone in the last three years at the training ground.

"In the two years before Newcastle came to this training ground we were on a par with the rest of the Premiership."

Souness told the League Managers' Association website: "We were losing about 90 days a year to hamstring injuries. We're running treble that now. It's something we think that we've got to the bottom of now.

"We have a very hard fibre sand area that was the only area we could really train on last year and we felt that was our biggest problem, and the (hamstring) statistics bear that out.

"So we now have another area that we can train on at the training ground which isn't fibre sand and until we get lots of rain and the winter months come along we have to avoid the fibre sand."

Edited by chip2388

Source:http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4274086.stm

_40822456_souness_203.jpg

Newcastle manager Graeme Souness believes the playing surface at the club's training ground may be to blame for a spate of hamstring injuries.

Kieron Dyer, Emre and Albert Luque have all suffered similar injuries, and Souness says a pattern has emerged.

He said: "We've lost close on 600 days to hamstrings alone in the last three years at the training ground.

"In the two years before Newcastle came to this training ground we were on a par with the rest of the Premiership."

Souness told the League Managers' Association website: "We were losing about 90 days a year to hamstring injuries. We're running treble that now. It's something we think that we've got to the bottom of now.

"We have a very hard fibre sand area that was the only area we could really train on last year and we felt that was our biggest problem, and the (hamstring) statistics bear that out.

"So we now have another area that we can train on at the training ground which isn't fibre sand and until we get lots of rain and the winter months come along we have to avoid the fibre sand."

37870[/snapback]

The other thing that's changed over the last two years is our manager and coaches of course. I suppose that has nothing to do with it. :lol:

aye, treble 90 is 600 :lol:

37872[/snapback]

600 hundred days over 3 years is 200 days a year.

The average trebled is 270.

So even considering the training ground differences something else has made a significant impact recently, luck or Souness?

The other thing that's changed over the last two years is our manager and coaches of course. I suppose that has nothing to do with it.  :lol:

37874[/snapback]

The training ground is 3 years old (is it really that long?), he's been around a year, it would be interesting to see the breakdown on a yearly or even monthly basis over that period with exact dates on things like training ground change and manager change.

It's not inconceivable though is it that maybe it might have something to do with the facililties/training area.

As much as people slag Souness off (me included) i find it hard to believe that something particular about only his training methods bring about these injuries, isn't the kind of easy trend to spot?

And if it was, wouldn't players coming in from other clubs highlight the extreme difference in training and suggest it as a reason for the problem, even to one of the coaches if he didn't fancy talking to GS personally?

It's not inconceivable though is it that maybe it might have something to do with the facililties/training area.

As much as people slag Souness off (me included) i find it hard to believe that something particular about only his training methods bring about these injuries, isn't the kind of easy trend to spot?

37879[/snapback]

Agreed. And it's not like Luque's been here long enough for Souness's dastardly coaching techniques to have damaged his hamstrings.

For Souness to employ a training technique which explicitly damaged hamstrings, it'd be some talent....

And most of you claim he has no talent so by definition, you must be in the camp who agree it's sod all to do with him personally! :lol:

I think it goes way back - the staff are partly to blame but the new training ground looks like its part of the problem

Souness can only be blamed for pushing players back into the squad too early out of desperation.....................

First time I've ever seen actual stats on injuries at the club............

37879[/snapback]

Agreed. And it's not like Luque's been here long enough for Souness's dastardly coaching techniques to have damaged his hamstrings.

37883[/snapback]

I don't really have an opinion on it one way or another (mainly because I wouldn't have a clue about the training facilities to allow me to comment), but to provide the other side of the coin, it can sometimes be down to training techniques. Christian Gross' time at Tottenham is the prime example - during his time at Spurs there was an unbelievable injury list and it was widely accepted that this was down to his training techniques generally.

Plus you can never rule out the possibility that Souness is doping and/or deliberately injuring his players and then betting on the outcome of our matches. I'm just saying is all.

37879[/snapback]

37883[/snapback]

There's a balance here Gemmill. I'm not suggesting this is all down to Souness, but it is likely to be a multifactorial problem, and I think Souness and, in particular, his coaches, are a part of the problem.

If Luques injury can't be explained by Souness et al, then neither can it be explained on the training ground.

The other thing that's changed over the last two years is our manager and coaches of course. I suppose that has nothing to do with it.  :lol:

37874[/snapback]

Hamstring injuries under Robson - 0?

I remember people asking questions about the training ground and the possible links to hamstring injuries back under SBR's reign.

37890[/snapback]

Has anyone got any figures on this. I remember there were always problems with Dyer, Bellamy, and Woodgate, but these are all crocks essentially.

There's a balance here Gemmill. I'm not suggesting this is all down to Souness, but it is likely to be a multifactorial problem, and I think Souness and, in particular, his coaches, are a part of the problem.

If Luques injury can't be explained by Souness et al, then neither can it be explained on the training ground.

37891[/snapback]

It's hard to put Luque's down to anything other than luck, maybe even adapting to the weather?

Luque's out for 2-3 months as well isn't he, so 60-90 days can be attributed to neither the manager nor the facilities.

37891[/snapback]

It's hard to put Luque's down to anything other than luck, maybe even adapting to the weather?

Luque's out for 2-3 months as well isn't he, so 60-90 days can be attributed to neither the manager nor the facilities.

37894[/snapback]

I blame the fans.

37874[/snapback]

of course, but some of us predicted he would make all the excuses he could think of rather than blame himself and his appointed staff.

We were called anti Newcastle for it etc etc ...

Now we are predicting nothing will get better until he goes, and we are still being pilloried for it.

Rose tinted specs ©

Edited by LeazesMag

As long as Bobby gets all the blame for Dyer and Bellamy's previous Hamstrings then by all means blame Souness.

38013[/snapback]

Equally blame Bobby Robson for winning games .....

37874[/snapback]

of course, but some of us predicted he would make all the excuses he could think of rather than blame himself and his appointed staff.

We were called anti Newcastle for it etc etc ...

Now we are predicting nothing will get better until he goes, and we are still being pilloried for it.

Rose tinted specs ©

38003[/snapback]

The people who called you anti-Newcastle for being worried about what Souness might do to the club are tossers, but this isn't black and white, there are many points along the scale. You seem to be polar opposite to those people.

Edited by DotBum