Owen - We're sitting ducks

Besty

Michael Owen accepts Newcastle United are currently 'sitting ducks' for criticism as the club battle against relegation.

The Magpies have not won in the Premier League since before Christmas and, following Saturday's 3-0 defeat at Liverpool, are just three points outside the drop zone.

Owen, who has scored just four goals in 20 league appearances this season, acknowledged the frustration being felt by the team's plight.

But the England striker is optimistic that Newcastle can pull away from danger and preserve their Premier League status.

Strange

"Let's not think Newcastle are in this position every year," Owen told Sky Sports News. "It's strange for Newcastle as well to be at the wrong end of the table.

"It's a frustrating time for myself, it's a frustrating time for the club and we need to get some results to stave off the criticism.

"We're sitting ducks at the minute. People can criticise me and people can criticise the club and anyone they want, and we haven't got a leg to stand on in reply.

"I've had some great times in my career. At 28, I'd like to think there's plenty of great times ahead.

"But, first things first, we need to pick up some results for Newcastle and get all this negative talk away from us really."

"I've had some great times in my career. At 28, I'd like to think there's plenty of great times ahead.

You'll love it next season then Micky, nowt more fun than a trip to Blackpool on a wet Wednesday in November. :lol:

More comments from him:

Owen fearful of England omission

Michael Owen believes he could miss out on Fabio Capello's England squad to face France on March 26 if Newcastle's miserable run of results continues.

Owen told BBC Radio 5 Live: "When you are down it's hard to be listened to.

"Results are not going well and, when you are not playing well as a team and individually, then individuals will not get picked for the national team."

The former Liverpool and Real Madrid frontman was an unused substitute during Capello's first match in charge - a 2-1 win over Switzerland on 6 February.

"The new manager has only had one game in charge and that was a friendly so we will see what develops," added Owen.

The Magpies are three points above the drop zone in 15th place and face crucial matches against fellow-strugglers Birmingham, Fulham and Reading in three of their next four matches.

Owen added: "We are expected to get points and we need to pick them up now.

"There are certain clubs that criticism attracts. People see the support we get and if we are not up there in the prominent positions then people ask why.

"But I'm at a club where you feel like a spark will get us back on the crest of the wave and help us move up the league - that can give us a platform to build on."

He has only came out with one line about England and of course that's what they choose to focus on.

Duck Hunt! Ahh, there was this annoying American kid down the street who we used to pretend to like because he had a NES with a light gun. Happy days.

Ah so that's how it worked, could never figure that out, not that I lost too many nights' sleep over it like.