Car insurance

Mark

I use Elephant. Cheapest by quite a bit for me. You really just have to shop around and get a lot of quotes though - no one on here is going to be able to tell you who to go with. That insuresupermarket thing that someone posted above is a good starting point though.

I phoned nearly every insurance company in the book when i was renewing as i wasn't happy with Zurich who i was with previously. I'm with Bell who are part of the Admiral group. I rang Admiral first and got a decent price, then rang Elephant who are part of Admiral too who gave me a better quote and then onto Bell who gave me the best price i could find. I thought it was odd that i got a cheaper quote each time despite the companies all being a part of the Admiral group! But they are good for young drivers, people with no no claims bonus and/or points on their licence of which i am all of the above therefore pay over 100 quid a month! But i found huge differences in the quotes i got, some ranged up to 5 grand! :lol:

but recently I switched to Privilege who offered me the cheapest deal.

They have this "We gurantee to beat your renewal" promise - I got an online quote which was £150 more than mine but I was then supposed to phone them - I didn't bother as it would probably be by £1 or something like that and anyway why try and charge me £150 more than what they can?

Unrelated I know but I had to laugh last Saturday at the Reading v Crewe match.

The bloke who sits next to me was there doing his car insurance :lol: Was wondering if he was covered for a new windscreen as his elephant insurance was going to expire before the game finished.

Not something you see everyday :razz:

Add marital status and whether you have children or not. If you're married and have children under 16, you tend to get lower car insurance too.

As you get older, single men tend to get cheaper car insurance than single women though, regardless of that.

38804[/snapback]

I can't remember where I read it, but there were legal issues with the way they discriminate on motor insurance and the whole system could get a major shake up soon.

I'm 22, male and always get asked those questions, but I'm also white and of no great religious conviction but with a Catholic background. Oddly, no-one's ever asked me that on an insurance form, but they're demographic variables all the same.

</canofworms>

Add marital status and whether you have children or not. If you're married and have children under 16, you tend to get lower car insurance too.

As you get older, single men tend to get cheaper car insurance than single women though, regardless of that.

38804[/snapback]

I can't remember where I read it, but there were legal issues with the way they discriminate on motor insurance and the whole system could get a major shake up soon.

I'm 22, male and always get asked those questions, but I'm also white and of no great religious conviction but with a Catholic background. Oddly, no-one's ever asked me that on an insurance form, but they're demographic variables all the same.

</canofworms>

38820[/snapback]

They are justified in asking your sex and age because these variable change the likelyhood of you making a claim. I doubt whether your colour or religion does.

The last statistics I saw said that women were more likely to have an accident. However their accidents were low cost: parking bumps; scrapes; running into the back of people. Men on the other hand had less accidents but when they did they were major, spectacular and expensive!

Your post code also puts you in a band which affects your insurance. They have stats of car crime etc and lump you in band which can raise or lower it even more. Someone on another forum got hold of the official list of postcode bands, my postcode was in the worst band, the bastid. However, if the stats say car crime is more likely in my area then I can't really argue with that.

On a related note, I rang the company who 'quote you happy' last year for a renewal and they quoted me a £1,000 more than I pay now. To be fair to the advert, I was pissing myself laughing at the end of that phone conversation as well...

38804[/snapback]

Can't imagine why......

:D

38974[/snapback]

Because they start paying attention not just 'cruising' up and down in their Punto with the music thumping? :blink:

40063[/snapback]

So all men drive Puntos do they?? :lol:

And you haven't explained why women still pay more... ;)

38804[/snapback]

Can't imagine why......

:D

38974[/snapback]

Because they start paying attention not just 'cruising' up and down in their Punto with the music thumping? :blink:

40063[/snapback]

So all men drive Puntos do they?? :lol:

And you haven't explained why women still pay more... ;)

40088[/snapback]

Young men tend to drive shit cars like Puntos, but tend to take real pride in them. And use them as a means of pulling women. Or at least trying!

Single women pay more because they must be a group at greater risk. Given that married people of both sexes pay less, I also assume that married people are less likely to cause accidents too. As pointed out, women tend to cause more shunts etc, but are less likely to be involved in high speed crashes/fatalities etc.

40514[/snapback]

Bridget admitting she finds Puntos a turn on??

38804[/snapback]

Can't imagine why......

:lol:

38974[/snapback]

Because they start paying attention not just 'cruising' up and down in their Punto with the music thumping? ;)

40063[/snapback]

So all men drive Puntos do they?? :blink:

And you haven't explained why women still pay more... B)

40088[/snapback]

Young men tend to drive shit cars like Puntos, but tend to take real pride in them. And use them as a means of pulling women. Or at least trying!

Single women pay more because they must be a group at greater risk. Given that married people of both sexes pay less, I also assume that married people are less likely to cause accidents too. As pointed out, women tend to cause more shunts etc, but are less likely to be involved in high speed crashes/fatalities etc.

40514[/snapback]

40515[/snapback]

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW/cars_...exact=1&photo=1

Which one of these do you like most Bridget :D

40515[/snapback]

Fiats do more for me.

40525[/snapback]

A punto is a Fiat you retard. :D:lol:

40527[/snapback]

Fucking hell, top form tonight from me. ;)

Meant to say Fiat Uno. My first car, y'see.

40528[/snapback]

I had a Panda. B)

Picture Peter Crouch trying to get into a Mini and you're not too far off what a clip I must have looked. :blink: