Benitez souding bitter, beaten and broken.

Park Life

Every decision went against us, moans baffled Benítez

Andy Hunter and Louise Taylor at Anfield

The Guardian, Wednesday April 23 2008 Article history

Rafael Benítez accused the referee Konrad Plautz of bias and poor timekeeping last night after John Arne Riise's stoppage-time own-goal cost Liverpool a precious lead in their Champions League semi-final first leg with Chelsea. The Liverpool manager criticised the award of four minutes' injury-time and a display from Plautz that, he claimed, had favoured Chelsea throughout.

he disgruntled Spaniard said: "It's difficult to understand. There were 94 or 95 minutes and every decision went against us. All the corners, free-kicks and fouls. But, in the end, it was an own-goal. It's not the first time. We knew before the game it was going to be difficult [with this referee]. Against Marseille it was more or less the same. You can't blame the referee for the own-goal at the end but the time? One minute in the first half, four in the second. It's difficult to explain."

Benítez also had cause to bemoan the referee for a push by Ashley Cole on the goalscorer Dirk Kuyt inside the Chelsea penalty area, an offence that went unpunished by Plautz. "The first four fouls against us were for pushing," he added. "I saw one of their players pushing with two hands in the penalty area and nothing given. I've seen too many things tonight but I don't want to say too much."

Words fail me tbh. :blink:

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh I was wondering about the need for four minutes injury time as well.

When Arboloa was down, he was down for some time, plus the time when Drogba was on the floor and also the scousers.

Not the point really. It is the knee jerk and cowardly attempt by Benny to cue the supporters away from his own failings as a leader. Criticising the ref after a big game with his ludicrously over the top accusations. Uefa should really look at this.

Guest Stevie

Exactly the same as Wenger last week after insuating there was a FA conspiracy to make sure they didn't win the league, "we are not stupeed" he commented. There's such a thing as losing with dignity, none of the top clubs have done it for years.

Exactly the same as Wenger last week after insuating there was a FA conspiracy to make sure they didn't win the league, "we are not stupeed" he commented. There's such a thing as losing with dignity, none of the top clubs have done it for years.

Exactly.

...and it's not even like they've lost yet. :blink:

Did Anelka actually touch the ball by the way? I think he almost scored with what would have been his first touch but Riise was having none of it.

Did Anelka actually touch the ball by the way? I think he almost scored with what would have been his first touch but Riise was having none of it.

:blink:

Personally I think in these games Malouda is pretty ineffective for them and I'd have started Kalou or Anelka for the drifting in from the left role that they both enjoy.

IMO Malouda has had little impact on Chelsea overall since he arrived.

Hi, my name's Parky and I have an agenda. :P

Just talking about the game mate.

I see you have a need to pesonalise these debates....Problem?

I'm shocked I thought you like to portray yourself as everyones friend. :blink:

Edited by Park Life

To be a 'top manager' these days you have to be a childish, ungracious bellend. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for Keegan

Personally I think in these games Malouda is pretty ineffective for them and I'd have started Kalou or Anelka for the drifting in from the left role that they both enjoy.

Kalou's a bit better but he doesn't do a lot either for me. It was ridiculous giving Anelka so little time. I suppose it paid off bringing him on (as he was Riise's man) but they got lucky to say the least. As you mentioned the other day I think, I'd love to see us try and bring Anelka here in the summer because he must be getting frustrated sitting on the bench there. You could perhaps understand it as bit more if Drogba or Malouda were playing well.

:P

Kalou's a bit better but he doesn't do a lot either for me. It was ridiculous giving Anelka so little time. I suppose it paid off bringing him on (as he was Riise's man) but they got lucky to say the least. As you mentioned the other day I think, I'd love to see us try and bring Anelka here in the summer because he must be getting frustrated sitting on the bench there. You could perhaps understand it as bit more if Drogba or Malouda were playing well.

As you know I'd love Anelka here. :blink:

:P

As you know I'd love Anelka here. :blink:

I still think he's quality. Could play either Viduka's role (in a slightly different way) or Martins' role better than either of them. I'd like to hang onto those two as well though if we got Anelka.

Guest Stevie

To be a 'top manager' these days you have to be a childish, ungracious bellend. Unfortunately that doesn't bode well for Keegan

I've just been speaking to my Chewwsea mate from work, he's no ABJ neither, he was there on The Shed in the 80's early 90's, and he reckons Wenger no trophies in three years, and Benitez none in two, should be sacked if they consider themselves as top clubs. If that was a Chelsea manager, he'd be well gone, and he's right, Wenger is beyond sacking though.

Best bit of it all was the Kop were starting up their pathetic YNWA, just as the ball hit the net.

Jooooooooooooooooon Arne Riise, OOH AHH, I wanna knoooooooo ooooooooow how you scored that goal.

art.riise.ap.jpg

Hi, my name's Parky and I have an agenda. :icon_lol:

Just talking about the game mate.

I see you have a need to pesonalise these debates....Problem?

I'm shocked I thought you like to portray yourself as everyones friend. :icon_lol:

Portray? :blink:

And chill Winstan. :P

I've just been speaking to my Chewwsea mate from work, he's no ABJ neither, he was there on The Shed in the 80's early 90's, and he reckons Wenger no trophies in three years, and Benitez none in two, should be sacked if they consider themselves as top clubs. If that was a Chelsea manager, he'd be well gone, and he's right, Wenger is beyond sacking though.

Best bit of it all was the Kop were starting up their pathetic YNWA, just as the ball hit the net.

Jooooooooooooooooon Arne Riise, OOH AHH, I wanna knoooooooo ooooooooow how you scored that goal.

art.riise.ap.jpg

Counting his chickens a bit like imo.

Guest Stevie

art.riise.ap.jpg

Counting his chickens a bit like imo.

I think there's a 95% chance Chelsea will go through. In the last four years, I can only think of FS Bolton and Barca (against 10 men), who got a result there that would be good enough to take Liverpool through.

As a rule they add 30 seconds per substitution.. Both teams only played 2 so that only accounts for 2 minutes.

The only other stoppage which I recall took anything like 2 minutes was Drogba's antics. It's about time they introduce retro-punishment for simulation in the same way they do for violent conduct etc...

I hope you're right Stevie and I can't argue with your logic there. It's just Liverpool have that never say die attitude and seem to pull it out the bag time and time again in Europe. Also think Chelsea have that dilemma over whether to 'stick or twist'. I could see a very tight game possibly even going to pens.

Edited by alex

Depends which Chelsea turn up... If they 'park the bus' in front of the goal I think they're asking for trouble.... There seems to be a general opinion amongst the media and other football fans that Chelsea have this one in the bag. If that attitude seeps into the squad even in the slightest, I think Liverpool will prosper. They always seem to do things the hard way.

The other thing of course is that Torres WILL break his duck on scoring away from Anfield one day soon.

First 15-20 mins next week will be cruical. An early goal from Liverpool and things will look very different indeed.

Depends which Chelsea turn up... If they 'park the bus' in front of the goal I think they're asking for trouble.... There seems to be a general opinion amongst the media and other football fans that Chelsea have this one in the bag. If that attitude seeps into the squad even in the slightest, I think Liverpool will prosper. They always seem to do things the hard way.

The other thing of course is that Torres WILL break his duck on scoring away from Anfield one day soon.

First 15-20 mins next week will be cruical. An early goal from Liverpool and things will look very different indeed.