Ashley demands showdown talks

Jimbo

Kevin Keegan has been summoned to London today for showdown talks with angry Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley. Sportsmail understands the manager was ordered to switch his pre-match press conference to today so that he can meet the billionaire and Dennis Wise, the club's executive director (football).

Ashley was said to be incensed by Keegan's comments following Monday's game against Chelsea, not least those directed at him.

Keegan complained that he was not receiving the financial backing to break into the top four of the Barclays Premier League and said sarcastically that his relationship with Ashley was fine because he "never" spoke to him.

What is said to alarm Ashley is how much Keegan's position has changed since he returned to the club in January. Not only did Ashley arrive at Keegan's first match wearing a shirt with the manager's name across his back, but Keegan described Ashley as the perfect football club owner and someone the club should endeavour to keep.

Keegan will now be asked to explain his comments in a meeting that could clear the air, but could also be so explosive that it ends with the 'Geordie Messiah' leaving St James' Park for a second time.

As Sportsmail revealed yesterday, Keegan's relationship with his employers has reached breaking point. Not only is he frustrated by what he sees as a lack of ambition and a reluctance to secure the services of Michael Owen on a long-term contract, but he believes football decisions are being made by the board without consulting him.

A major problem is the fact that Wise and Tony Jimenez, the club vice-president who is in charge of player recruitment, do not seem to share Keegan's philosophy when it comes to rebuilding the squad.

While Keegan wants the finished article, Wise and Jimenez are searching for players who will increase in value once they move to Newcastle.

Keegan missed training yesterday, such a rare occurrence since he succeeded Sam Allardyce that it sparked rumours he had already quit. However, it was later suggested that he was struggling to cope with an ear infection.

Sources close to Keegan insist he will not resign, not least because he cannot afford to walk away from what would probably be a £3million pay-off, but tomorrow's meeting could yet determine if he still has a future at the club.

Wise is unlikely to be in the best of moods, given that he will not be able to play in his annual charity golf day in Ealing.

It also emerged yesterday that the Newcastle players were distinctly unimpressed by Keegan's comments on Monday. The fact that he said they would not be a top four side in the three years that represent his current agreement shocked the players.

They are concerned not only by what they see as a lack of ambition at the club, but a lack of belief in them.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This has got to stop. To be fair I don't think Keegan expected this backlash and Manchester City have made a showing of themselves so there is no story there. They have their little pun,''War Kev'', fantastic incorporating local lexicon into a controversial news story about a football club.

The press are never consistent unless they are giving us shit, this is probably still sour beans because Keegan has actually turned it around.

Meant to scare less educated Newcastle fans and provide other teams supporters with a cinematic end to the season.

Considered the possibility that there's some truth in this? No smoke without a fire.

and sometimes there's no fire without the spark of a liar :)

Guest Patrokles
Considered the possibility that there's some truth in this? No smoke without a fire.

Could be. But if it's true, then it's very worrying. In all fairness, I'd be disappointed to have heard it as a player.

Could be. But if it's true, then it's very worrying. In all fairness, I'd be disappointed to have heard it as a player.

Yeh but you have to look at the source, The Sun isn't credible and nor is the Mail + Newspapers do have sources inside on another. So The Sun might be reacting to the mail.

I don't think Keegan would go to Lahhhndaaahn either it would most likely be a video conference.

I'd like to know why Ashley has changed the habits of a lifetime and now is a media slut at every opportunity?

It's not likely is it?

Abject nonsense. We lose a game and suddenly now we're in some sort of deadly tailspin that will undoubtedly end in KK being sacked and Mike Ashley selling out.

Who pays these people to come up with this? Do you think I could get a job writing back page stories for these two-bit rags? Surely the Man City circus must be more interesting at this point than a few comments made by KK and some invented "backlash" story...?

Abject nonsense. We lose a game and suddenly now we're in some sort of deadly tailspin that will undoubtedly end in KK being sacked and Mike Ashley selling out.

Who pays these people to come up with this? Do you think I could get a job writing back page stories for these two-bit rags? Surely the Man City circus must be more interesting at this point than a few comments made by KK and some invented "backlash" story...?

you can write

and you already spell better than most of those idiots

the thing that always gets me about most sports journos is that they have never been involved in the sport they write about in any way other than sports journoing, without direct quotes/access to the people they are writing about are they really any more informed than any of us?

the thing that always gets me about most sports journos is that they have never been involved in the sport they write about in any way other than sports journoing, without direct quotes/access to the people they are writing about are they really any more informed than any of us?

See that's the thing, isn't it?

With the internet the dissemination of information is much more prolific than ever before.

People don't need to buy newspapers to know what is happening, especially about sport.

So how do newspapers compete?

Sensationalism.

So what if it's wrong, they can just write a retraction in small print on page 106 next week.

Combine that with a passionate sporting club owned by a media recluse and we are a very easy target.

Just look at the media coverage the club has suffered this season, it's been consistantly wide of the mark.

Everyone has an opinion, problem is most of them are from the ill informed.

See that's the thing, isn't it?

With the internet the dissemination of information is much more prolific than ever before.

People don't need to buy newspapers to know what is happening, especially about sport.

So how do newspapers compete?

Sensationalism.

So what if it's wrong, they can just write a retraction in small print on page 106 next week.

Combine that with a passionate sporting club owned by a media recluse and we are a very easy target.

Just look at the media coverage the club has suffered this season, it's been consistantly wide of the mark.

Everyone has an opinion, problem is most of them are from the ill informed.

yep, and yet everytime one of these stories come up I have to have the same conversation with my mates saying exactly that while there clubs get none of this shit burnley are to small time blackburn are too stable and dull and otherwise I have fucking spurs and united supporting mates

:)