Newcastle stars Michael Owen and Joey Barton warned about pay cuts

Scottish Mag

From Truefaith:

LEADERS OF MEN

Monday 16th June 2008

Well, according to those in the media who reckon they know, there are changes afoot this week at NUFC! First off, the Chairman, that nice man, Chris Mort is tipped to step down from his position and return to his day job as a London hotshot lawyer with Freshfields and some big job they have on the go at the minute. There is some patter he may return as director in October but nothing is confirmed. Its widely expected the newly appointed deputy Chairman, Derek Llambias will step into the space vacated by Mort and become Shy Mike Ashley’s main man in NE1. There has also been some patter that at the request of Kevin Keegan, Shy Mike will assume a greater level of management in the day to day running of the good ship Newcastle United. This must include the handling of transfers.

Another week goes by and another few thousand players are linked with NUFC. The overwhelming majority of these stories are complete bunkum – we know it, the press know it and the press know we know it. But it just rolls on because their bosses think it sells newspapers. Who knows, it might - but one thing is absolutely certain – no-one has come through the door just yet and there are whispers circulating that against a backdrop of cost-cutting, particularly regarding players wages, no-one really knows what Shy Mike’s real intentions are regarding the club and certainly anyone so minded could start making a strong case that NUFC is being prepared for sale. Or perhaps we’re just getting used to the club being run properly? I don’t know but like many of you reading this piffle, I’ve never seen a well-run NUFC so it’ll take some recognising when it comes into view. If the club is for sale well, it will need a buyer and there don’t seem to be many of them knocking about in these less certain economic times.

So far the tales have been we’ve done no business because Kevin Keegan is still on holiday as are agents and EURO 08 is what is occupying football’s minds right now. The hints have been dropped that we’ll be active in the transfer market – as buyers – when KK is back from his jollies. I guess we’ll see if that is true in the fullness of time as well as just what Dennis Wise has been up to earn his massive salary and how much wedge there is available for players. We’re being linked with all insundry but some more than others – some of the names discussed are well fancied players and it will take some doing getting them to SJP but that is what Wise is paid for and if he doesn’t get top players in then he is a waste of space. The cause for optimism however is it would be mental for Ashley to have Wise on big money as a director charged with bringing players in and Kevin Keegan the fourth highest paid manager in the world (Sunday Times) if he was going to skimp on new players.

On the subject of players and wages and all of that palaver we’re told there was a meeting with club officials and Barton’s agent, Willie McKay last week in HMP Liverpool (seems like he wasn’t transferred to a porridge-dome in East Anglia anyway) with the general offshoot being the club want him to take a 50% cut in his pay in order to stay at the club. You can look at this several ways and whilst I’m all for giving Barton support, like other Mags, it is a matter of supreme indifference to me whether an average Premier League player is on £30K p.w. rather than £60K p.w. – both sums are on the wrong side of indecency anyway. Some might accuse NUFC of exploiting Barton’s situation for financial reasons but frankly I don’t expect to hear this from Barton or his agent given Joey’s behaviour last summer when he more or less held NUFC to ransom regarding his “loyalty” (sic) payment of £300K from Man City – which it looks like was paid by Newcastle United. What goes around comes around. For all of the talk about supporting Barton etc this desire to press for a re-negotiation of his contract is also an opportunity for the player to offer a cut in pay as a genuine, tangible act of contrition for his wrong-doing. Don’t hold your breath. The smart money is on the outcome of the Dabo case being critical to Barton’s future with Newcastle United but there is something in the air hinting our incarcerated Scouser won’t be at NUFC next season.

The season ticket renewal packs slid through our letter boxes last week and whilst this humble publication intends to cover the changes to season tickets and ticket pricing at the club in some great depth in the first issue of the coming season, let’s get one thing on the record, absolutely crystal clear and transparent – the ticket prices in the corporate sections of SJP i.e. The Platinum Club, Club 1892 and anywhere else can go through the roof as far as I am concerned and I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with the whoppers running to The Comical last week to whinge their dials off at hefty price hikes. Many of those seats were procured by the current occupants on the back of the clearances of The Milburn and Leazes which prompted the Save Our Seats campaign following the extension of SJP eight years ago of which this humble fanzine was proud to support and counts amongst its number some of its doughtiest campaigners. As ever, The Comical and the rest of the Thomson House lot completely ignored this reality and ploughed on with their ill-informed inanities. I’ve always felt those who took the places of those who had been evicted were not given enough criticism for their moral bankruptcy and it was galling some of them now coping with price hikes should seek to portray themselves as poor down-trodden rank and file Mags being taken to the cleaners by NUFC. They are far from that and if the prices are now too much, they can join the rest of the hoi-polloi in areas of the ground more suited to their wedge. Corporate sections of NUFC are now a necessary evil and the club owes it to itself to raise as much money as possible from them and should seek to get the greatest market value for them as possible.

Its always a landmark moment in the close season when the new fixtures are released and we’ll be getting our peepers on them tomorrow (Monday). The comrades at nufc.com will have them online as well the official site and most other local media people but as we’re tight-fisted bastards and won’t pay the fee we won’t have them here. There is no shortage of outlets with them but like you we’ll be looking at first game of the season, the Christmas and New Year programme, when we play the Mackems and the run in. Just when we get it fixed in our tiny minds it will all be shifted around at the behest of SKY and SETANTA so we won’t be getting that excited – well, we don’t do excited any more in the procession-like non-competitive competition that is the Premier League. Sorry, I was forgetting it was the best league in the world. Getting into the top ten is the peak of our ambition these days and whilst we’ll always be there and we’ll always love the club and all that, it’s not exactly got the pulses racing has it?

Keep On, Keepin’ On …

From Truefaith:

LEADERS OF MEN

Monday 16th June 2008

Well, according to those in the media who reckon they know, there are changes afoot this week at NUFC! First off, the Chairman, that nice man, Chris Mort is tipped to step down from his position and return to his day job as a London hotshot lawyer with Freshfields and some big job they have on the go at the minute. There is some patter he may return as director in October but nothing is confirmed. Its widely expected the newly appointed deputy Chairman, Derek Llambias will step into the space vacated by Mort and become Shy Mike Ashley’s main man in NE1. There has also been some patter that at the request of Kevin Keegan, Shy Mike will assume a greater level of management in the day to day running of the good ship Newcastle United. This must include the handling of transfers.

Another week goes by and another few thousand players are linked with NUFC. The overwhelming majority of these stories are complete bunkum – we know it, the press know it and the press know we know it. But it just rolls on because their bosses think it sells newspapers. Who knows, it might - but one thing is absolutely certain – no-one has come through the door just yet and there are whispers circulating that against a backdrop of cost-cutting, particularly regarding players wages, no-one really knows what Shy Mike’s real intentions are regarding the club and certainly anyone so minded could start making a strong case that NUFC is being prepared for sale. Or perhaps we’re just getting used to the club being run properly? I don’t know but like many of you reading this piffle, I’ve never seen a well-run NUFC so it’ll take some recognising when it comes into view. If the club is for sale well, it will need a buyer and there don’t seem to be many of them knocking about in these less certain economic times.

So far the tales have been we’ve done no business because Kevin Keegan is still on holiday as are agents and EURO 08 is what is occupying football’s minds right now. The hints have been dropped that we’ll be active in the transfer market – as buyers – when KK is back from his jollies. I guess we’ll see if that is true in the fullness of time as well as just what Dennis Wise has been up to earn his massive salary and how much wedge there is available for players. We’re being linked with all insundry but some more than others – some of the names discussed are well fancied players and it will take some doing getting them to SJP but that is what Wise is paid for and if he doesn’t get top players in then he is a waste of space. The cause for optimism however is it would be mental for Ashley to have Wise on big money as a director charged with bringing players in and Kevin Keegan the fourth highest paid manager in the world (Sunday Times) if he was going to skimp on new players.

On the subject of players and wages and all of that palaver we’re told there was a meeting with club officials and Barton’s agent, Willie McKay last week in HMP Liverpool (seems like he wasn’t transferred to a porridge-dome in East Anglia anyway) with the general offshoot being the club want him to take a 50% cut in his pay in order to stay at the club. You can look at this several ways and whilst I’m all for giving Barton support, like other Mags, it is a matter of supreme indifference to me whether an average Premier League player is on £30K p.w. rather than £60K p.w. – both sums are on the wrong side of indecency anyway. Some might accuse NUFC of exploiting Barton’s situation for financial reasons but frankly I don’t expect to hear this from Barton or his agent given Joey’s behaviour last summer when he more or less held NUFC to ransom regarding his “loyalty” (sic) payment of £300K from Man City – which it looks like was paid by Newcastle United. What goes around comes around. For all of the talk about supporting Barton etc this desire to press for a re-negotiation of his contract is also an opportunity for the player to offer a cut in pay as a genuine, tangible act of contrition for his wrong-doing. Don’t hold your breath. The smart money is on the outcome of the Dabo case being critical to Barton’s future with Newcastle United but there is something in the air hinting our incarcerated Scouser won’t be at NUFC next season.

The season ticket renewal packs slid through our letter boxes last week and whilst this humble publication intends to cover the changes to season tickets and ticket pricing at the club in some great depth in the first issue of the coming season, let’s get one thing on the record, absolutely crystal clear and transparent – the ticket prices in the corporate sections of SJP i.e. The Platinum Club, Club 1892 and anywhere else can go through the roof as far as I am concerned and I have absolutely no sympathy whatsoever with the whoppers running to The Comical last week to whinge their dials off at hefty price hikes. Many of those seats were procured by the current occupants on the back of the clearances of The Milburn and Leazes which prompted the Save Our Seats campaign following the extension of SJP eight years ago of which this humble fanzine was proud to support and counts amongst its number some of its doughtiest campaigners. As ever, The Comical and the rest of the Thomson House lot completely ignored this reality and ploughed on with their ill-informed inanities. I’ve always felt those who took the places of those who had been evicted were not given enough criticism for their moral bankruptcy and it was galling some of them now coping with price hikes should seek to portray themselves as poor down-trodden rank and file Mags being taken to the cleaners by NUFC. They are far from that and if the prices are now too much, they can join the rest of the hoi-polloi in areas of the ground more suited to their wedge. Corporate sections of NUFC are now a necessary evil and the club owes it to itself to raise as much money as possible from them and should seek to get the greatest market value for them as possible.

Its always a landmark moment in the close season when the new fixtures are released and we’ll be getting our peepers on them tomorrow (Monday). The comrades at nufc.com will have them online as well the official site and most other local media people but as we’re tight-fisted bastards and won’t pay the fee we won’t have them here. There is no shortage of outlets with them but like you we’ll be looking at first game of the season, the Christmas and New Year programme, when we play the Mackems and the run in. Just when we get it fixed in our tiny minds it will all be shifted around at the behest of SKY and SETANTA so we won’t be getting that excited – well, we don’t do excited any more in the procession-like non-competitive competition that is the Premier League. Sorry, I was forgetting it was the best league in the world. Getting into the top ten is the peak of our ambition these days and whilst we’ll always be there and we’ll always love the club and all that, it’s not exactly got the pulses racing has it?

Keep On, Keepin’ On …

More words of wisdom. :lol:

Massive load of bollocks about corporate box prices and so on, typically blinkered envious view. Awful lot of those boxes are owned by people who have drilled significant amounts of money into NUFC over the years- just because the people who pay for them have had the temerity to work hard and run a successful business doesn't mean they should be treated as some sort of Victorian workhouse-owner pariah.

They could always take people to the races instead, I guess.

Massive load of bollocks about corporate box prices and so on, typically blinkered envious view. Awful lot of those boxes are owned by people who have drilled significant amounts of money into NUFC over the years- just because the people who pay for them have had the temerity to work hard and run a successful business doesn't mean they should be treated as some sort of Victorian workhouse-owner pariah.

So you've got a box then.... :lol:

Nope, but I've been in a couple and both guys who had them were top blokes and cared a lot for the club. The endless vitriol that eminates from 'proper' fans is way over the top. All this talk of moral bankruptcy- bollocks. Especially when I see the 'passion' in so many of the salt-of-the-earth sections of the crowd.

I hope this is true

Be careful what you wish for.

Long term this will likely be for the best (FFS's "name your wage" negotiations were getting silly and dangerous), but short term it may well throw up a lot of issues (and means we'll likely lose a fair few players - many that are well worth losing admittedly, but some that are not too), Keegan's contract may run out before Newcastle sees any on field benefit from it, and we could even see Keegan go if it is the case and he's feeling straight-jacketed.

Plus Everton is a nice club to try and emulate, but I don't think they'll be breaking into the Top 4 in any sustained way any time soon.

exactly, but don't say things like this in the real world

Nope, but I've been in a couple and both guys who had them were top blokes and cared a lot for the club. The endless vitriol that eminates from 'proper' fans is way over the top. All this talk of moral bankruptcy- bollocks. Especially when I see the 'passion' in so many of the salt-of-the-earth sections of the crowd.

I've been in the boxes a couple of times and the corporate fella's are mainly old blokes with a kind of vintage care for the club. The rarely sing but they'l cheer when we score. Kind of wierd, i think for them the match is more of an casual event then an obligation.

What we don't need is a long drawn out battle with Owen's people.

Aye this was the result of the Liverpool affair. :lol:

culloden.jpg

Is that Fish to the screen left dispatching some rabble with his ivory stocked Brunton & Miffelder?

culloden.jpg

Is that Fish to the screen left dispatching some rabble with his ivory stocked Brunton & Miffelder?

Could be, looks a little thin mind.... although military service will shed a few pounds.

You can see Owen in the middle there, his hamstring clearly gone as usual.

culloden.jpg

Could be, looks a little thin mind.... although military service will shed a few pounds.

You can see Owen in the middle there, his hamstring clearly gone as usual.

Clutching his paypacket I see.

Michael Owen seeks new Newcastle United deal

By Rod Gilmour

Last Updated: 7:29am BST 19/06/2008

Michael Owen's future on Tyneside looks brighter after he revealed that he is looking to extend his contract at St James' Park.

The England international has only one year left on his current contract, which is worth about £115,000 a week, but he is looking beyond that after returning to full fitness with Newcastle.

After an injury-plagued spell, Owen hit some of his best form with the club towards the end of the season and Kevin Keegan will want to entice Owen to stay knowing that he could leave on a free transfer as early as January.

"We've just opened contract talks, we are talking," Owen said yesterday.

"I've got this season left regardless and we're working on a deal to stay longer. There'll probably be news in a month or two.

He added: "This last year I played fully without hiccups to my knee. That's well behind me now."

Owen, 28, who was made Newcastle captain in January, has been restricted to 43 appearances and 18 goals since signing from Real Madrid in August 2005.

However, the striker has allayed fears as to future injuries while assuring fans that he is set to play a major part on the pitch.

"I would like to think I am now back to my best. This last year I played fully without hiccups to my knee. That is well behind me now," Owen said.

"Kevin has been fantastic. I can only say I've been highly impressed and the whole place is buzzing again."

From the Telegraph.

Michael Owen seeks new Newcastle United deal

By Rod Gilmour

Last Updated: 7:29am BST 19/06/2008

Michael Owen's future on Tyneside looks brighter after he revealed that he is looking to extend his contract at St James' Park.

The England international has only one year left on his current contract, which is worth about £115,000 a week, but he is looking beyond that after returning to full fitness with Newcastle.

After an injury-plagued spell, Owen hit some of his best form with the club towards the end of the season and Kevin Keegan will want to entice Owen to stay knowing that he could leave on a free transfer as early as January.

"We've just opened contract talks, we are talking," Owen said yesterday.

"I've got this season left regardless and we're working on a deal to stay longer. There'll probably be news in a month or two.

He added: "This last year I played fully without hiccups to my knee. That's well behind me now."

Owen, 28, who was made Newcastle captain in January, has been restricted to 43 appearances and 18 goals since signing from Real Madrid in August 2005.

However, the striker has allayed fears as to future injuries while assuring fans that he is set to play a major part on the pitch.

"I would like to think I am now back to my best. This last year I played fully without hiccups to my knee. That is well behind me now," Owen said.

"Kevin has been fantastic. I can only say I've been highly impressed and the whole place is buzzing again."

From the Telegraph.

Good News, making all the right noises, part of me thinks this is just a rehash though although I doubt he will take a pay cut to fit into XXXXL Ashleys new wage structure

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't want to make a new thread for this,

My mate is in his villa in Portugal, staying next door to Owen. He's met him twice now and been talking horse racing. He text me asking if I had any questions for him, and I told him to just tell him to "get a contract signed".

He spoke to him about it today and text back saying "He will be staying, he's over with his mates and will be sitting down in 2 weeks with them".

Didn't want to make a new thread for this,

My mate is in his villa in Portugal, staying next door to Owen. He's met him twice now and been talking horse racing. He text me asking if I had any questions for him, and I told him to just tell him to "get a contract signed".

He spoke to him about it today and text back saying "He will be staying, he's over with his mates and will be sitting down in 2 weeks with them".

It's ashley he needs to be sitting down with B)