Most impressive city when entering on the train

bobbyshinton

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to say it is pretty impressive, but only when approaching from the South imo.

It's also quite impressive when you go past the Angel down the Bowes Incline then over the Tyne Bridge.

Venice.

Really? or piss take ;)

I've just been so I wanted to throw that one in there. It's not that impressive until you come out of the station though, in reality. Newcastle takes some beating though, from the south, as Dave says. Birmingham via New Street though, fucking hell :lol:

Venice.

Really? or piss take ;)

I've just been so I wanted to throw that one in there. It's not that impressive until you come out of the station though, in reality. Newcastle takes some beating though, from the south, as Dave says. Birmingham via New Street though, fucking hell :lol:

Venice nice?

Birmingham via New Street though, fucking hell :lol:

skyline6.jpg

What's not to love? ;)

Mind, the route into New Street used to pass near my student halls, so I could see which of my layabout flatmates were at home and which weren't without having to bother with social interaction or anything. Score!

Venice.

Really? or piss take ;)

Venice nice?

It's lovely Berb but it's a bit cheesy if you know what I mean. All the shops either sell tat or stuff that's at least 50% dearer than it would be elsewhere. You can eat out canny cheap thoughm, but you can also get ripped off very easily. The main sites like the Rialto Bridge, Bridge of Sighs, Doge's Palace and St. Mark's Cathedral are amazing though, if you can stand the crowds. If you spend a night or two there though it gets quieter when the day-trippers leave. Also, I got up at about 6 o'clock on the first morning there and had a walk about St. Mark's Square when there was virtually no one around. We had 3 nights in Venice which was probably enough, for me at least. It's got that many museums and art galleries though that you could spend weeks there and not see everything. Went to Florence (which was great - went to the Uffizi and to the top of the Duomo) for two nights and had a night at the beginning and end in Pisa, which was also very nice and it was quite easy to get away from the tourists in Pisa. Nice trip. Went with Jet2 from the Toon to Pisa and travelled by train in Italy. The trains are spot on.

Birmingham via New Street though, fucking hell :lol:

skyline6.jpg

What's not to love? ;)

Mind, the route into New Street used to pass near my student halls, so I could see which of my layabout flatmates were at home and which weren't without having to bother with social interaction or anything. Score!

Who designed New Street man? It's like a post-apocalyptic vision.

They "renovated" the place a few years ago and succeeded in making it even worse. Though I suppose if nothing else, it acclimatises you for the architectural delights of the city beyond...

They "renovated" the place a few years ago and succeeded in making it even worse. Though I suppose if nothing else, it acclimatises you for the architectural delights of the city beyond...

What's that dingy little pub in it called again? It doesn't even have a toilet.

And it's underneath a fucking shopping centre too. It's like the old Eldon Square bus terminal being Newcastle's landmark transport hub or something.

I was just on about the George and Dragon the other day, now you mention that.

Never been in/can't remember, but beerintheevening reckons it was called the Bridge and has now been refitted/rebranded as the Shakespeare. The Newt and Cucumber nearby has toilets but is equally dingy. In fact, every pub in the area is pretty bloody awful. We used to go to this place that did two-for-one pints of watery lager on a Friday and Saturday night. However many you ordered, they'd bring you twice as many, however you tried to explain it to them. Pure class.

Never been in/can't remember, but beerintheevening reckons it was called the Bridge and has now been refitted/rebranded as the Shakespeare. The Newt and Cucumber nearby has toilets but is equally dingy. In fact, every pub in the area is pretty bloody awful. We used to go to this place that did two-for-one pints of watery lager on a Friday and Saturday night. However many you ordered, they'd bring you twice as many, however you tried to explain it to them. Pure class.

:lol:

London is canny if you arrive into Charing Cross.
I agree. I often get the train from Canterbury to Charing Cross - get to see lots of great sites as you go over the Thames etc. Much better than when I go to Victoria tbh.

Maybe a tad controversial for some, but whilst I love the approach to Newcastle station, I personally think Durham runs a very close second (possibly even joint first)...

I really like that whole run from York to Newcastle, to be honest, especially if the weather's canny.