SKY SPORTS POLL

Douggy B

Benitez has only come 4th once in his four years at Anfield but most posts on this thread appear to think we're 4th every year. Not that it matters because I'm of the Shanks school of thought anyway, which is, first is first and second is nowhere, never have taken any pride in finishing less than top and we've finished runners up many times in our history. A failure in my eyes.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Benitez is on his way man, you still think he's some kind of Liverpool legend but he's been just another makeweight who has given you years of - dare I say it? - top 4 mediocrity. Now, I don't want to give you the idea that I'm saying top 4 is somehow bad, because we'd jump at the chance, but given Liverpool's history and relative state as compares to other clubs, they should be doing more than settling for 4th.

Keegan has mounted more serious title challenges than Benitez. I don't think he has it in him and I don't think he'll see out the year. Poor selection, bringing in weak players, a general reliance on one or two key players rather than a squad such as Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal have, all weaknesses that keep him and you from challenging for the title.

Rafa has never and won’t ever be a makeweight, Torres is right, you’re talking bollocks.

Maybe the fact that he’s only finished 4th once in his four years at the helm proves he doesn’t settle for it?

Keegan had plenty of money to spend and he still couldn’t do it, and he wasn’t even faced with two clubs who could mega outspend him, one who could even outspend any club on the planet. Keegan definitely won’t last the year out.

The spine players Rafa has brought in have been brilliant buys and I often read on this board that it will take time with your own club, why can’t you see it’s the same for Benitez? He hasn’t bought one high priced player who has failed, and he’s bought a few quality bargains in Skirtl and Agger who will hold the middle of defence for the next 10 years. In Reina, Dossena(hopefully) Skirtl, Agger, Mascherano, Babel, Kuyt and Torres, supplemented with Carra and Gerrard Rafa is building a team of quality. That he can’t do it all at once is quite obvious, we don’t have the money, so he fills the squad out with 2nd or 3rd tier players so we at least have a full squad.

Take the best two players from any team and they’ll more than likely fail, it’s a ridiculous comment.

Benitez has only come 4th once in his four years at Anfield but most posts on this thread appear to think we're 4th every year. Not that it matters because I'm of the Shanks school of thought anyway, which is, first is first and second is nowhere, never have taken any pride in finishing less than top and we've finished runners up many times in our history. A failure in my eyes.

Bang on mate, one of the side effects of the champions league is we now celebrate failure.

Edited by Danny B

Id say the Liverpool back 4 is the weakest of the top 4 clubs. (not just slightly weaker either but considerably weaker)

and therein is the reason why they will never mount a serious title challenge.

Id say the Liverpool back 4 is the weakest of the top 4 clubs. (not just slightly weaker either but considerably weaker)

And yet the stats say differently.

Benitez is on his way man, you still think he's some kind of Liverpool legend but he's been just another makeweight who has given you years of - dare I say it? - top 4 mediocrity. Now, I don't want to give you the idea that I'm saying top 4 is somehow bad, because we'd jump at the chance, but given Liverpool's history and relative state as compares to other clubs, they should be doing more than settling for 4th.

Keegan has mounted more serious title challenges than Benitez. I don't think he has it in him and I don't think he'll see out the year. Poor selection, bringing in weak players, a general reliance on one or two key players rather than a squad such as Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal have, all weaknesses that keep him and you from challenging for the title.

Rafa has never and won’t ever be a makeweight, Torres is right, you’re talking bollocks.

Maybe the fact that he’s only finished 4th once in his four years at the helm proves he doesn’t settle for it?

Keegan had plenty of money to spend and he still couldn’t do it, and he wasn’t even faced with two clubs who could mega outspend him, one who could even outspend any club on the planet. Keegan definitely won’t last the year out.

The spine players Rafa has brought in have been brilliant buys and I often read on this board that it will take time with your own club, why can’t you see it’s the same for Benitez? He hasn’t bought one high priced player who has failed, and he’s bought a few quality bargains in Skirtl and Agger who will hold the middle of defence for the next 10 years. In Reina, Dossena(hopefully) Skirtl, Agger, Mascherano, Babel, Kuyt and Torres, supplemented with Carra and Gerrard Rafa is building a team of quality. That he can’t do it all at once is quite obvious, we don’t have the money, so he fills the squad out with 2nd or 3rd tier players so we at least have a full squad.

Take the best two players from any team and they’ll more than likely fail, it’s a ridiculous comment.

Shockingly clueless.

Shockingly clueless.

With nothing to back up your comment, your words are meaningless.

He came much closer, and from a much, much, much lower starting position. And the thing that nixed him really was the board (which may well do for Benny too).

Shockingly clueless.

Yeah but when I write meaningless words I don't drag it out into two and a bit para's....Yes?

Shockingly clueless.

Yeah but when I write meaningless words I don't drag it out into two and a bit para's....Yes?

True, but mine have real meaning. That you haven't tried to rip it apart shows a certain amount of agrreement in part. I think you actually respect Rafa despite your comments to the contrary.

Edited by Redshadow

well ok - you had the lowest number of goals conceded - 7 seasons ago.

Shockingly clueless.

True, but mine have real meaning. That you haven't tried to rip it apart shows a certain amount of agrreement in part. I think you actually respect Rafa despite your comments to the contrary.

Peraps. :headphonedance:

A lot of reds over the last couple of seasons have fallen back on this spend/quality of player argument. You need to look beyond that.

There are real barriers to Benny's ability to succeed and comparing spend is only one part of it.

well ok - you had the lowest number of goals conceded - 7 seasons ago.

3rd lowest last season, '08

Joint 2nd lowest the season before, '07

2nd lowest, '06

It hardly points to a weak back four.

Edited by Redshadow

Shockingly clueless.

A lot of reds over the last couple of seasons have fallen back on this spend/quality of player argument. You need to look beyond that.

There are real barriers to Benny's ability to succeed and comparing spend is only one part of it.

But it does come down to money in many respects Park Life. There aren't many fans, or more importantly owners, prepared to wait for a team to be built from scratch, our owners in particular would be happy for Champions League qualification, and a good run in it, every season. It's where the money is, Premiership glory is second to that for them.

Shockingly clueless.

But it does come down to money in many respects Park Life. There aren't many fans, or more importantly owners, prepared to wait for a team to be built from scratch, our owners in particular would be happy for Champions League qualification, and a good run in it, every season. It's where the money is, Premiership glory is second to that for them.

Owners mean nothing in football.

Bang on mate, one of the side effects of the champions league is we now celebrate failure.

What would a spurs fan know about CL football ... :headphonedance:;):)

Quite possibly the daftest rubbish I've read in ages. Congrats! :headphonedance:

Do you care to actually try to counter anything I posted? I've noticed that to be one of your critical failings. You disagree with any criticism but you can never say why.

Simple. Because it`s rubbish. Why would anybody counter such trash.

Can you give any definitive evidence that:

Benitez has mounted a serious title challenge;

Liverpool shouldn't be pushing for higher than 4th;

Liverpool don't rely on one or two key players (Gerrard, Torres) while the others are perhaps not title quality?

I'm afraid "it`s rubbish" isn't a defence. Silence gives consent. If you can't answer the allegations, I guess you think they're true after all?

'Silence gives consent ' is the kind of logic one would expect a child abuser to use; it in no way validates your point.

Team always rely on key players ... hardly rocket science. Rafa has taken us to 3 CL semi finals in 4 years, has assembled a good strong squad with lots of quality despite taking over the shambles Houllier left behind (with modest financial support). It needs a little tweeking and one or two additions (keane and Barry) and we're off.

You've made a fool of yourself.

:headphonedance: ... ad nauseum.

'Silence gives consent ' is the kind of logic one would expect a child abuser to use; it in no way validates your point.

Team always rely on key players ... hardly rocket science. Rafa has taken us to 3 CL semi finals in 4 years, has assembled a good strong squad with lots of quality despite taking over the shambles Houllier left behind (with modest financial support). It needs a little tweeking and one or two additions (keane and Barry) and we're off.

Do you truly believe that your squad is strong enough to mount a sustained challenge to the premiership this season? :headphonedance:

You've got a good team, no doubt, but Hyppia is too old, Carragher and Agger are quality, but they're not in the same class as the pairing of Ferdinand and Vidic imo

I reckon you'll be the buffer between the teams scrapping for the title and the teams scrapping for the last CL spot.

Do you truly believe that your squad is strong enough to mount a sustained challenge to the premiership this season? :headphonedance:

You've got a good team, no doubt, but Hyppia is too old, Carragher and Agger are quality, but they're not in the same class as the pairing of Ferdinand and Vidic imo

I reckon you'll be the buffer between the teams scrapping for the title and the teams scrapping for the last CL spot.

I reckon you're wrong ... again. ;)

Won't make CL this year imho. Benny gone soon after.

Based on.... what? Other than blind faith?

Based on.... what? Other than blind faith?

Reina's got golden gloves dontcha know! :)

Quite possibly the daftest rubbish I've read in ages. Congrats! :headphonedance:

Do you care to actually try to counter anything I posted? I've noticed that to be one of your critical failings. You disagree with any criticism but you can never say why.

Simple. Because it`s rubbish. Why would anybody counter such trash.

Can you give any definitive evidence that:

Benitez has mounted a serious title challenge;

Liverpool shouldn't be pushing for higher than 4th;

Liverpool don't rely on one or two key players (Gerrard, Torres) while the others are perhaps not title quality?

I'm afraid "it`s rubbish" isn't a defence. Silence gives consent. If you can't answer the allegations, I guess you think they're true after all?

It finally got you to give some semblance of an answer. And looking like a fool in your eyes can only be a positive thing, trust me.

So, you didn't answer either of the first two, and for the third question I was hoping you might compare your squad to, let's say Man U or Chelsea and explain to me how Liverpool measures up comparatively.

4 years later you're still no closer to the title. I'd say you've taken a backwards step. Is this the Liverpool you envision - a team who does well in cup competitions and can't handle the long haul of a title challenge?