SKY SPORTS POLL

Douggy B

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And in fairness, they won the CL with a team that wasn't even Benitez's.

...and Milan bet against themselves at half-time. :headphonedance:

In Spain, wouldn't Benitez have worked under / alongside a DoF who was buying the players? Maybe he isn't that used to buying his own players and it shows a bit. Because it seems his tactics (especially in Europe) are spot on but I agree with Mr. Pond that Liverpool haven't really progressed in terms of challenging for the PL in the time Benitez has been there.

Edited by alex

Can you give any definitive evidence that:

Benitez has mounted a serious title challenge;

Liverpool shouldn't be pushing for higher than 4th;

Liverpool don't rely on one or two key players (Gerrard, Torres) while the others are perhaps not title quality?

I'm afraid "it`s rubbish" isn't a defence. Silence gives consent. If you can't answer the allegations, I guess you think they're true after all?

No he hasn't mounted a serious challenge. He has made us a consistant qualifier for CL though, which would be progress in anyones eyes.

Do you actually know how many times he's finished 4th in 4 years? I love it when 'fans' act all knowledgable about other clubs than their own and then show themselves up. LFC have finished above Arsenal twice in the last 4 seasons.

All teams rely on their best players, Liverpool are no different, but if you are saying that Mascherano, Agger, Reina and Alonso aren't title quality then your own team must be full of pub footballers. I would also include Carra in that lot but he's 30 now so maybe it's a little late for him to show his top form. Benitez has also brought some quality young players to the club who just need a couple of more seasons to develop.

'Silence gives consent ' is the kind of logic one would expect a child abuser to use; it in no way validates your point.

Team always rely on key players ... hardly rocket science. Rafa has taken us to 3 CL semi finals in 4 years, has assembled a good strong squad with lots of quality despite taking over the shambles Houllier left behind (with modest financial support). It needs a little tweeking and one or two additions (keane and Barry) and we're off.

You've made a fool of yourself.

Do you truly believe that your squad is strong enough to mount a sustained challenge to the premiership this season? :headphonedance:

You've got a good team, no doubt, but Hyppia is too old, Carragher and Agger are quality, but they're not in the same class as the pairing of Ferdinand and Vidic imo

I reckon you'll be the buffer between the teams scrapping for the title and the teams scrapping for the last CL spot.

I reckon you're wrong ... again. ;)

Based on.... what? Other than blind faith?

Divine right.

Liverpool's problem is they are a top 4 side, but they aren't a top 2 or maybe even 3 side (depending on which Arsenal turn up this season), never mind a Premiership winning side.

'Silence gives consent ' is the kind of logic one would expect a child abuser to use; it in no way validates your point.

Team always rely on key players ... hardly rocket science. Rafa has taken us to 3 CL semi finals in 4 years, has assembled a good strong squad with lots of quality despite taking over the shambles Houllier left behind (with modest financial support). It needs a little tweeking and one or two additions (keane and Barry) and we're off.

Do you truly believe that your squad is strong enough to mount a sustained challenge to the premiership this season? :headphonedance:

You've got a good team, no doubt, but Hyppia is too old, Carragher and Agger are quality, but they're not in the same class as the pairing of Ferdinand and Vidic imo

I reckon you'll be the buffer between the teams scrapping for the title and the teams scrapping for the last CL spot.

I reckon you're wrong ... again. ;)

Based on.... what? Other than blind faith?

Divine right.

Liverpool's problem is they are a top 4 side, but they aren't a top 2 or maybe even 3 side (depending on which Arsenal turn up this season), never mind a Premiership winning side.

that's been true for pretty much every season since the late 90s other than one ifrc under houliier when they finished 2nd.

Edited by Dr Gloom

In Spain, wouldn't Benitez have worked under / alongside a DoF who was buying the players? Maybe he isn't that used to buying his own players and it shows a bit. Because it seems his tactics (especially in Europe) are spot on but I agree with Mr. Pond that Liverpool haven't really progressed in terms of challenging for the PL in the time Benitez has been there.

What would you define as a good buy Alex? You see I hear this all the time about Benitez but if you look at what he does, his signings all make sense. The squad that Houllier left was abysmal in as much as after his illness he seemed to buy players just for the sake of it and many turned out to be duds who had to be replaced by Rafa. With far less money than Houllier had he slowly started to rebuild the squad with Xabi Alonso and Luis Garcia being the two players he'd rely on until he could up the quality in the rest of the team. He brought in gap fillers costing nothing or just a couple of million as cover for injuries and to keep players fresh. He's carried that on each season with only last season being the year he could start buying players who cost over 10 million, the only other 10 million+ he's been able to buy being Alonso.

No doubt you've signed some quality players, Torres being the most recent. I just think a lot haven't been good enough to really challenge for the PL. Maybe it's an issue around the finance though but I just think certain signings - like £6m for Pennant - are just sort of 'nothing' signings that just keep you treading water, if you like.

No doubt you've signed some quality players, Torres being the most recent. I just think a lot haven't been good enough to really challenge for the PL. Maybe it's an issue around the finance though but I just think certain signings - like £6m for Pennant - are just sort of 'nothing' signings that just keep you treading water, if you like.

I actually rate Pennant but he was a 2nd choice player after us spending all summer trying to sign Dani Alves with Sevilla upping the price every time we met what they were asking. Pennant is still good back up but Benitez likes attacking full backs with a striker in front playing on the right.

What the reds on here won't tell you is that Benny lost his key helper last year. ;)

What the reds on here won't tell you is that Benny lost his key helper last year. ;)

Pako Ayerstan was very good at his job but we had a far better start to the season without him than with him.

Tbh, I quite like Kuyt but I'd put him in a similar bracket.

Every team should have a Kuyt. Think of him as a Joey Jones type of player, no great skill but gives his all and more for the team, is supremely loyal and fulfilled his role on the right superbly well in the second half of the season.

Every team should have a Kuyt. Think of him as a Joey Jones type of player, no great skill but gives his all and more for the team, is supremely loyal and fulfilled his role on the right superbly well in the second half of the season.

Even does a bit of tapping up for you on the side.

Please elucidate.

Teams like Man Utd don't need a Kuyt, they've got better versions who graft just as hard, which is sort of the point I was making. We could do with a Kuyt-type player however.

Benitez is on his way man, you still think he's some kind of Liverpool legend but he's been just another makeweight who has given you years of - dare I say it? - top 4 mediocrity. Now, I don't want to give you the idea that I'm saying top 4 is somehow bad, because we'd jump at the chance, but given Liverpool's history and relative state as compares to other clubs, they should be doing more than settling for 4th.

Keegan has mounted more serious title challenges than Benitez. I don't think he has it in him and I don't think he'll see out the year. Poor selection, bringing in weak players, a general reliance on one or two key players rather than a squad such as Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal have, all weaknesses that keep him and you from challenging for the title.

Quite possibly the daftest rubbish I've read in ages. Congrats! ;)

Do you care to actually try to counter anything I posted? I've noticed that to be one of your critical failings. You disagree with any criticism but you can never say why.

Simple. Because it`s rubbish. Why would anybody counter such trash.

Liverpool don't rely on one or two key players (Gerrard, Torres) while the others are perhaps not title quality?

I'm afraid "it`s rubbish" isn't a defence. Silence gives consent. If you can't answer the allegations, I guess you think they're true after all?

It finally got you to give some semblance of an answer. And looking like a fool in your eyes can only be a positive thing, trust me.

So, you didn't answer either of the first two, and for the third question I was hoping you might compare your squad to, let's say Man U or Chelsea and explain to me how Liverpool measures up comparatively.

4 years later you're still no closer to the title. I'd say you've taken a backwards step. Is this the Liverpool you envision - a team who does well in cup competitions and can't handle the long haul of a title challenge?

You're totally irrational. The club in general has made great progress under Rafa. Would you sack a manager that has generated so much revenue and reached 3 CL semi finals in 4 years, has worked wonders with the youth system and is still quite young. You look like a fool to anybody who knows their arse from their elbow.

Please elucidate.

It means: He taps up players from shitty little feeder clubs!

Please elucidate.

I would love to play with Keano story in the press today. Fucking carthorse.

Please elucidate.

I would love to play with Keano story in the press today. Fucking carthorse.

Doesn't look as though he needs any encouragement.

keaneqx3.png

Benitez is on his way man, you still think he's some kind of Liverpool legend but he's been just another makeweight who has given you years of - dare I say it? - top 4 mediocrity. Now, I don't want to give you the idea that I'm saying top 4 is somehow bad, because we'd jump at the chance, but given Liverpool's history and relative state as compares to other clubs, they should be doing more than settling for 4th.

Keegan has mounted more serious title challenges than Benitez. I don't think he has it in him and I don't think he'll see out the year. Poor selection, bringing in weak players, a general reliance on one or two key players rather than a squad such as Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal have, all weaknesses that keep him and you from challenging for the title.

Quite possibly the daftest rubbish I've read in ages. Congrats! ;)

Do you care to actually try to counter anything I posted? I've noticed that to be one of your critical failings. You disagree with any criticism but you can never say why.

Simple. Because it`s rubbish. Why would anybody counter such trash.

It finally got you to give some semblance of an answer. And looking like a fool in your eyes can only be a positive thing, trust me.

So, you didn't answer either of the first two, and for the third question I was hoping you might compare your squad to, let's say Man U or Chelsea and explain to me how Liverpool measures up comparatively.

4 years later you're still no closer to the title. I'd say you've taken a backwards step. Is this the Liverpool you envision - a team who does well in cup competitions and can't handle the long haul of a title challenge?

You're totally irrational. The club in general has made great progress under Rafa. Would you sack a manager that has generated so much revenue and reached 3 CL semi finals in 4 years, has worked wonders with the youth system and is still quite young. You look like a fool to anybody who knows their arse from their elbow.

So, like I said, the club hasn't progressed domestically at all. "So much revenue" may be great for the owners but I look at Liverpool and think they could be doing so much more. And Benitez is holding you back. Don't worry though, he won't be around much longer.