Shame on you: Kevin Keegan blows the chance to make a stand for English football

Jimbo

Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan is heading for a showdown with his board after offering troubled Joey Barton a fresh start yesterday.

Owner Mike Ashley, after months of trying to offload the player and then cut his £71,000 per week wages, is resigned to having Barton back on his release from prison.

But while Ashley wants to take a hard line, Keegan has opened the door to immediate conciliation with the player.

Newcastle have already failed to send Barton — expected to be released from Strangeways this week after being sentenced in May to six months’ jail for assault — to Bolton on a free transfer, although they do expect to reopen negotiations on the former Manchester City midfielder taking a substantial pay cut when he returns to Tyneside.

Keegan, who gave Barton his debut at City, surprisingly appealed for understanding for the player when he does return.

He told BBC 5 Live’s Sportsweek: ‘People have opinions and you must accept that, but mine is to give him another chance and back him. There are a lot of things he needs to put right but I think we can do it.

‘It’s well documented he has had his problems but I knew of them. He’s served his sentence and he has been punished. I told him as long as from now on he did things right and started to rebuild the confidence of people around him, I would stick by him.’

Keegan’s stance yesterday is believed to have surprised and infuriated the Newcastle board who have been trying to end Barton’s Newcastle career or at least change the terms of his contract.

When he was first imprisoned, his agent Willie MacKay arranged a move to Bolton but it fell through. Talks over Barton’s wages have since stalled but should be resolved on his release for a sentence imposed following his attack on a teenager in Liverpool last year.

The confrontation over Barton’s future is the latest to rock St James’ since Keegan was re-hired last season and guided the club away from relegation.

At the end of the last campaign the former England boss was summoned to a meeting with Ashley and then chairman Chris Mort to explain comments made to the media about Newcastle’s chances — or lack of them — of winning silverware and the league title in particular.

Keegan left that meeting with no doubt about his future conduct, particularly in relation to his media role, which is all the more reason why his interview with the BBC will have raised eyebrows at the highest level. The interview was conducted by David Davies, formerly the FA’s Executive Director when Keegan was England manager.

Davies is no stranger to controversy, having penned Glenn Hoddle’s autobiography when employed by the FA, which many players believed fractured dressing room relationships with the former England coach.

To add to Keegan’s problems Newcastle have been slow in the transfer market this summer, landing only Danny Guthrie from Liverpool and Argentina star Jonas Gutierrez.

The Newcastle boss refused to do pre-match press conferences before friendlies at Doncaster and Hartlepool in the hope that he would not put his foot in it regarding transfer failings but he has said new signings are likely in the near future and that he is looking at full backs in particular.

Newcastle United manager Kevin Keegan is heading for a showdown with his board after offering troubled Joey Barton a fresh start yesterday.

Owner Mike Ashley, after months of trying to offload the player and then cut his £71,000 per week wages, is resigned to having Barton back on his release from prison.

Uh oh, swear they ad the extra 1k to make it sound legit and more believable

The Newcastle boss refused to do pre-match press conferences before friendlies at Doncaster and Hartlepool in the hope that he would not put his foot in it regarding transfer failings but he has said new signings are likely in the near future and that he is looking at full backs in particular.

I would refuse to pre match press conferences before games too like :icon_lol:

no mention of immigrants, ASBOs, commies or AIDS in there at all... the Daily Mail is slipping.

It's all right, the Express says house prices will rise 25% in the next year, so all is still good with the world. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol:

Well if Cantona can drop kick a fan in the neck in front of 30,000 fans and 26 cameras I think Barton should be able to kick 7 shades of shit out of a mouthy scally and keep his job.

Well bitch slap 1 shade of :icon_lol: around a mouthy scally anyway.

Surely Keegan is making a stand by backing Barton considering the backlash he knows he will get. Typical of Keegan not to join the bandwagon too. He said he would back him in January and he is but will he get extra respect for that? I doubt it.

Read this at the airport this morning. Shame on the Daily Mail.

On a laptop or did you actually hold the Daily Mail in public? I'd rather be seen reading Barely Legal.

I wasn't sure how to phrase my original post tbh. I thought if I said I read it in the exec lounge I'd look like a twat, but if anyone thought I'd bought it, I'd look an even bigger one :icon_lol:

It was 'funny' comparing it with the more balanced takes on the story though.

Uh oh, swear they ad the extra 1k to make it sound legit and more believable

£40k pw in another article I just read. Finger in the air methinks.

Read this at the airport this morning. Shame on the Daily Mail.

On a laptop or did you actually hold the Daily Mail in public? I'd rather be seen reading Barely Legal.

I wasn't sure how to phrase my original post tbh. I thought if I said I read it in the exec lounge I'd look like a twat, but if anyone thought I'd bought it, I'd look an even bigger one :icon_lol:

It was 'funny' comparing it with the more balanced takes on the story though.

:rolleyes:

Strange how keeping your word is now supposed to be something to be ashamed of.

Well if Cantona can drop kick a fan in the neck in front of 30,000 fans and 26 cameras I think Barton should be able to kick 7 shades of shit out of a mouthy scally and keep his job.

Exactly. This is the same Daily Mail I expect was fawning over Cantonas magnificent return and still lauds him as one of the greatest footballers to ever grace the PL.