the Keeganator on signings

The Fish

Keegan targets three new faces

Newcastle boss eager to strengthen squad

Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan is hopeful he can sign three new players before the end of the summer transfer window.

Keegan has reiterated his confidence that two fresh faces will arrive at St James' Park, and Deportivo La Coruna defender Fabricio Coloccini and Arsenal centre-back Philippe Senderos are targets.

But the Tyneside boss, who has captured only Jonas Gutierrez, Danny Guthrie and Sebastien Bassong this close-season, has now set his sights on making it six new signings in total.

Midfielder Geremi recently voiced his concerns about Newcastle's wafer thin squad and Keegan acknowledges a need to reinforce.

"I would still like to strengthen and I'm confident we'll bring in at least two, possibly three, more faces," he told the club's official website.

Quality

"And if those players are of the quality of the likes of Gutierrez and Guthrie then we'll take our chances."

However, while Keegan acknowledges the need to strengthen, the former England boss also believes his current squad is capable of surviving the rigours of the Premier League.

The Magpies go into Wednesday's meeting with PSV Eindhoven on the back of three successive pre-season defeats, but Keegan believes that injuries have played a part as he has been forced to do without the services of Michael Owen and Mark Viduka.

"By the time we play Valencia on Saturday, and then Manchester United a week later, I would think we will be pretty much full strength, apart from maybe Mark Viduka," added Keegan.

"If everyone was fit, and I know in a perfect world that can happen but not always in football, we've got a strong, quality squad."

Keegan has reiterated his confidence that two fresh faces will arrive at St James' Park, and Deportivo La Coruna defender Fabricio Coloccini and Arsenal centre-back Philippe Senderos are targets.

Slightly misleading.

Ameobi dies after Barton Assaults him

:D

Mind, if we have a decent life insurance policy on him, that might be worth more than whatever we can get for him on the market...

I get the feeling we'll see some of the young'uns like Tozer, LuaLua, Zamblera etc. make the step up this season.

Going to have to when fatman viduka crips himself

Owen cba and injures himself again on his brief recall to an england squad

Smith goes to everton (blind hope)

Ameobi dies after Barton Assaults him

Barton goes to jail but the fans like him a bit more for it this time

Sing along if you know it:

"Iiiii'm H-A-P-P-Y, H-A-P-P-Y.........."

We really need a creative midfielder of some kind, I hope KK hasn't given up on that.

We need the right one though. I think he might go with two grafters in the middle and two wingers if he can't get someone of suitable quality in. Not ideal but if we can remain reasonably solid at the back it might work to some extent for now. Long-term you're definitely right though.

sorting the back line out first is always a smart move - i think we're still a couple of full backs short of beign comfortable in that department. but the main priority has to now be someone in midfield who can play a bit. maybe a new striker too.

if we signed another two players in those positions in addition to this new argie defender i think we'd all be a lot more optimistic ahead of the new season. the squad would still be looking light on numbers though

sorting the back line out first is always a smart move - i think we're still a couple of full backs short of beign comfortable in that department. but the main priority has to now be someone in midfield who can play a bit. maybe a new striker too.

if we signed another two players in those positions in addition to this new argie defender i think we'd all be a lot more optimistic ahead of the new season. the squad would still be looking light on numbers though

We're going to need a fair bit of luck with injuries. Collocini was previously indestructable, I'll give him 3 games

We're going to need a fair bit of luck with injuries. Collocini was previously indestructable, I'll give him 3 games

If he lasts 3 games he'll get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season. :D

I'm just worried that we still don't have the players to really play anything but the "Keegan" formation we played last season (which hinged on all 3 of out main strikers being fit).

Having little (but hoofs) coming through the middle means we'll need some excellent wingers to make a more traditional 4-4-2 work, and even then the right combination of forwards playing.

If he lasts 3 games he'll get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season. :)

I'm just worried that we still don't have the players to really play anything but the "Keegan" formation we played last season (which hinged on all 3 of out main strikers being fit).

Having little (but hoofs) coming through the middle means we'll need some excellent wingers to make a more traditional 4-4-2 work, and even then the right combination of forwards playing.

Just biding me time till I lay the smackdown on the new board. :D

Just biding me time till I lay the smackdown on the new board. :icon_lol:

They've just signed the most expensive defender in Newcastle history.

Trophy signings all the way with Ashley.

:icon_lol:

:)

If he lasts 3 games he'll get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season. :D

I understand your concern and agree that the 4-3-3 formation may be our first choice of deployment. I think we have got various tactics available to us within and without that system though.

A Diamond with Owen or Viduka the furthest forward of a midfield four, a flat 4-3-3 with Owen and Martins out wide, a wing back system with a holding midfielder providing cover for Beye and Enrique as they bomb past a fairly static midfield, to provide a counter attacking supply for a forward line who keeps the oppo's defence from joining the attack.

and I'm not close to being a football strategist.

I also think that we have the players for a 4-4-2 if needs be. Milner/Duff/Guti can play either wing, Charlie is capable too. Even a 5-3-2 or wingback 3-5-2.

It's the creativity in the centre of the park we're still lacking, perhaps more cover at left back and a right winger who's better than Milner.

If he lasts 3 games he'll get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season. :)

I understand your concern and agree that the 4-3-3 formation may be our first choice of deployment. I think we have got various tactics available to us within and without that system though.

A Diamond with Owen or Viduka the furthest forward of a midfield four, a flat 4-3-3 with Owen and Martins out wide, a wing back system with a holding midfielder providing cover for Beye and Enrique as they bomb past a fairly static midfield, to provide a counter attacking supply for a forward line who keeps the oppo's defence from joining the attack.

I also think that we have the players for a 4-4-2 if needs be. Milner/Duff/Guti can play either wing, Charlie is capable too. Even a 5-3-2 or wingback 3-5-2.

It's the creativity in the centre of the park we're still lacking, perhaps more cover at left back and a right winger who's better than Milner.

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see how deep Owen or Viduka could play.

The problem still is though that most everything relies on Owen, Viduka and Martins being fit (or excellent wingers or a seriously quality attacking/creative midfielder).

Remove any of Owen, Viduka or Martins (and replace them with Smith or Ameobi, or any midfielder) and we lose a lot more than just that player (the sum of the whole is great than the parts IMO). Lose 2 of those 3 to injury (or all 3 :D ) and we're REALLY going to be relying on our midfield and defence for their share of our goals (and unless someone repeatedly breaks Dabizas's scoring record we're going to struggle).

I'm really hoping for a freak injury free season, we're due at least one I suppose.

If he lasts 3 games he'll get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season. :icon_lol:

The problem still is though that most everything relies on Owen, Viduka and Martins being fit (or excellent wingers or a seriously quality attacking/creative midfielder).

Remove any of Owen, Viduka or Martins (and replace them with Smith or Ameobi, or any midfielder) and we lose a lot more than just that player (the sum of the whole is great than the parts IMO). Lose 2 of those 3 to injury (or all 3 :D ) and we're REALLY going to be relying on our midfield and defence for their share of our goals (and unless someone repeatedly breaks Dabizas's scoring record we're going to struggle).

I'm really hoping for a freak injury free season, we're due at least one I suppose.

Attacking MF who can double as a forward say a Gudj type would cover 2 bases. :)

If he lasts 3 games he'll get an injury that puts him out for the rest of the season. :icon_lol:

Attacking MF who can double as a forward say a Gudj type would cover 2 bases. :)

And AMF and cover or else. :icon_lol:

Attacking MF who can double as a forward say a Gudj type would cover 2 bases. :icon_lol:

And AMF and cover or else. :icon_lol:

:)

Guti looks like a step in the right direction, but as Alex said KK might go with two cloggers in the middle for now.

I'd definitely hope we have a couple more creative players bought, even if it is yet another striker.

Owen could play the creative role at the tip of a diamond, but I'd rather he was on the end of chances....