"United" fan trying to defend all the glory supporters they get

smoggeordie

The original article though misses a very important point IMO.

The 'out of town' support of popular clubs minimises the opportunity of young 'local' support being able to follow their team.

You suffered a very similar scenario yourselves back in the 90s during Keegan's first stint. Football clubs don't really give a flying fuck where their support comes from, it's all about who'll cough up the most money and that's usually corporates and wealthy out-of-towners. A whole generation of young supporters miss out on the opportunity to truly 'support' their local club at the expense of the corporates & wealthy OOT's.

Was Man Utd's policy of increasing match day tickets to OOT branches (particularly the Irish) during December a coincidence? I think not, it might have had something to do with their own bulging megastore and some bulging wallets though!

During my days of membership of several Man Utd fan groups, I constantlly petitioned the club to reserve a minimum number of tickets for local kids at schoolboy prices.. but where they interested... of course not.

The simple fact is that for many young supporters in the popular succesful clubs they have little chance of doing what came naturally to me, going to all the matches with my mates from school.

I don't blame the corporates & OOT's for this but I do blame the clubs and for many it will come back to bite them on the arse when they fall on harder times.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stevie
Got to admit I've got a shite memory, especially for dates and stuff like that. So when people are questioning my commitment to Newcastle and ask me who played right back in 87 I've got no fucking idea, or even who won the World Cup in 97.

Don't think this makes me less of a fan, it's my disability :icon_lol:B)

I'm the complete opposite, sad as it is.

All the major milestones in my life, first wank, first shag, first game, GCSE'S, jobs, my nana dying, other people dying, being beaten up, first legal pint, first e - everything sad as it is, I can remember what time it was by football around it. We beat Swindon 3-1, and I missed the game cos my nana died on the morning, and Keegan walked out after the game, it was March 14th 1992 I think. I started one job the morning after a 0-0 draw at Leicester when Shearer kicked Lennon in the face, didn't get in till 230am, had to start first day at 830. You could say it's sad but it's how my mind defines time.

Edited by Stevie

The original article though misses a very important point IMO.

The 'out of town' support of popular clubs minimises the opportunity of young 'local' support being able to follow their team.

You suffered a very similar scenario yourselves back in the 90s during Keegan's first stint. Football clubs don't really give a flying fuck where their support comes from, it's all about who'll cough up the most money and that's usually corporates and wealthy out-of-towners. A whole generation of young supporters miss out on the opportunity to truly 'support' their local club at the expense of the corporates & wealthy OOT's.

Was Man Utd's policy of increasing match day tickets to OOT branches (particularly the Irish) during December a coincidence? I think not, it might have had something to do with their own bulging megastore and some bulging wallets though!

During my days of membership of several Man Utd fan groups, I constantlly petitioned the club to reserve a minimum number of tickets for local kids at schoolboy prices.. but where they interested... of course not.

The simple fact is that for many young supporters in the popular succesful clubs they have little chance of doing what came naturally to me, going to all the matches with my mates from school.

I don't blame the corporates & OOT's for this but I do blame the clubs and for many it will come back to bite them on the arse when they fall on harder times.

Aye, well said, as usual.

I'd echo the assertion that its quality of support that matters - I sometimes travel up with a lad from Braintree who has been going the same amount of time as me who has the classic Dad moved south "excuse".

I was once on the train home from work (London/Chelmsford) when a lad opposite me was talking about how he'd been on the lucky dip list at OT for 3 years and had finally been drawn but "couldn't go" as it was a midweek game. I asked if it was so special why didn't he take 2 days off work and make a decent trip of it - "too much hassle" was the reply - so don't whinge about not getting tickets I told him.

What's strange is that taking Newcastle as an example many fans come from within a region which will span other towns and villages (sorry Stevie) so I don't see why people who see their mates making said journey feel the need to reject whatever team that is. Being honest even if they do follow Man U or whoever all over I think that initial need to glory hunt is a character weekness.

I was once on the train home from work (London/Chelmsford) when a lad opposite me was talking about how he'd been on the lucky dip list at OT for 3 years and had finally been drawn but "couldn't go" as it was a midweek game. I asked if it was so special why didn't he take 2 days off work and make a decent trip of it - "too much hassle" was the reply - so don't whinge about not getting tickets I told him.

Oh yes, another popular misconception... The 'I can't get tickets' syndrome.

Strange how apart from my season tickets I had 'memberships' in several family members names to help others out with tickets when they were struggling. Out of all those memberships I'd be 'drawn' a ticket at least 95% of the time. Most of these who can't get tickets only apply for City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Champions League semi's etc and then whinge when they don't get one.

Guest Stevie

Oh yes, another popular misconception... The 'I can't get tickets' syndrome.

Strange how apart from my season tickets I had 'memberships' in several family members names to help others out with tickets when they were struggling. Out of all those memberships I'd be 'drawn' a ticket at least 95% of the time. Most of these who can't get tickets only apply for City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Champions League semi's etc and then whinge when they don't get one.

The likes of Eddie Beef.

Got to admit I've got a shite memory, especially for dates and stuff like that. So when people are questioning my commitment to Newcastle and ask me who played right back in 87 I've got no fucking idea, or even who won the World Cup in 97.

All the major milestones in my life, first wank, first shag, first game, GCSE'S, jobs, my nana dying, other people dying, being beaten up, first legal pint, first e - everything sad as it is, I can remember what time it was by football around it. We beat Swindon 3-1, and I missed the game cos my nana died on the morning, and Keegan walked out after the game, it was March 14th 1992 I think. I started one job the morning after a 0-0 draw at Leicester when Shearer kicked Lennon in the face, didn't get in till 230am, had to start first day at 830. You could say it's sad but it's how my mind defines time.

I used to be like that when I was a kid. We used to watch the end of season video and my old man would go 'I don't remember that goal' etc and I'd rip the piss out of him.

Alas, I have become my old man.

Guest Stevie

I used to be like that when I was a kid. We used to watch the end of season video and my old man would go 'I don't remember that goal' etc and I'd rip the piss out of him.

To be honest I can remember things 1985-1998 a lot clearer than 1998 to now.

You're fingering your mum under the dinner table? B)

Just out of interest, do you think the club should stop marketing itself overseas so that we can bring in revenue to buy better players for you to watch?

I MOVED to the area so that I could go and watch them and always loved the place from when I'd visit my grandparents as a kid. I didn't know Newcastle as a city much beforehand and even though I've travelled a fair bit, it's one of the best places I've been to. I could have happily lived there permanently if house prices weren't mental.

I met two types of fans. One type didn't want to know as soon as they realised I wasn't lercal, and another type who weren't bothered as soon as they realised I knew a bit more about the club than your average glory seeker.

It's a shame some people have to prove their soopafan status tbh, and it actually comes across as a bit sad IMO.

I totally agree that it's obnoxious to hear the "wrong" accent boasting about how great "their" club is so I keep my mouth shut. I just love the club, the city, and what it stands for and I'll never support anyone else.

You're fingering your mum under the dinner table? :icon_lol:

Fucking hell man.... B)

Just out of interest, do you think the club should stop marketing itself overseas so that we can bring in revenue to buy better players for you to watch?

I MOVED to the area so that I could go and watch them and always loved the place from when I'd visit my grandparents as a kid. I didn't know Newcastle as a city much beforehand and even though I've travelled a fair bit, it's one of the best places I've been to. I could have happily lived there permanently if house prices weren't mental.

I met two types of fans. One type didn't want to know as soon as they realised I wasn't lercal, and another type who weren't bothered as soon as they realised I knew a bit more about the club than your average glory seeker.

It's a shame some people have to prove their soopafan status tbh, and it actually comes across as a bit sad IMO.

I totally agree that it's obnoxious to hear the "wrong" accent boasting about how great "their" club is so I keep my mouth shut. I just love the club, the city, and what it stands for and I'll never support anyone else.

I honestly don't think the criticisms are aimed at you or people like you in any way mate.

Guest Stevie

Do you want a medal?

I honestly don't think the criticisms are aimed at you or people like you in any way mate.

GO TEAM NEWCASTLE!!!! :icon_lol:

B)

Cheers fella, it just puts a divide in the forum that shouldn't be there IMO.

Do you want a medal?

Do you? B)

Do you want a medal?

Do you? B)

MEMEMMEME

Regards,

Attain

Stevie

I know a few lads in the Yorkshire Mags, all of the expats, if you saw a coach of them would you think so harshly about them?

You do have a serious, serious issue mate and I think you need to calm down a lot! Slating the South Asian fans like you did just goes to show your mental age!

Guest Stevie
Stevie

I know a few lads in the Yorkshire Mags, all of the expats, if you saw a coach of them would you think so harshly about them?

You do have a serious, serious issue mate and I think you need to calm down a lot! Slating the South Asian fans like you did just goes to show your mental age!

Regarding Yorkshire Mags, I'd be interested to know when their club was formed, and fair play expats geordie blood who else are they going to support?

My mental age? What by mentioning 8 Malaysian Man Utd fans on a bus taking photos of fire escapes ok mate B).

Stevie

Regarding Yorkshire Mags, I'd be interested to know when their club was formed, and fair play expats geordie blood who else are they going to support?

My mental age? What by mentioning 8 Malaysian Man Utd fans on a bus taking photos of fire escapes ok mate B).

Yorkshire Mags

Newcastle United Supporters Club Yorkshire was formed in 1988

The way you said WOONEY, I was referring to. Just calm down man, youre getting more wound up than someone listening to Adrian Durham!!!

Guest Stevie
Stevie

My mental age? What by mentioning 8 Malaysian Man Utd fans on a bus taking photos of fire escapes ok mate :icon_lol:.

Yorkshire Mags

Newcastle United Supporters Club Yorkshire was formed in 1988

The way you said WOONEY, I was referring to. Just calm down man, youre getting more wound up than someone listening to Adrian Durham!!!

B) I've never been less wound up by anything in my life. It's like when people call us barcodes, how could you possibly get wound up by that, in this instance I'm just making points. The way I said WOONEY. Tell me phonetically how they pronounce Wayne Rooney then.

Guest Stevie
Don't fellas from that corner of the world pronounce the "R" like an "L"?

Some of them do and some of the pronounce them a W's, so Wayne Wooney.