Shin Splints

Howay

Have you been properly diagnosed with shin splints or is it something you suspect from how you are feeling? Have you had a bone scan?

I worked in a hospital where the military would send their patients and I did a lot of bone scans on young GI types, and once shin splints were diagnosed the army were forced to rest them. Often the patients wouldn't show up for their appointment because if their scan was positive they'd not be allowed to exercise until the condition had healed. If the military are that strict on their soldiers not training with shin splits, that tells you the seriousness of the condition.

If you have diagnosed shin splits and you don't rest, you're an idiot.

Have you been properly diagnosed with shin splints or is it something you suspect from how you are feeling? Have you had a bone scan?

I worked in a hospital where the military would send their patients and I did a lot of bone scans on young GI types, and once shin splints were diagnosed the army were forced to rest them. Often the patients wouldn't show up for their appointment because if their scan was positive they'd not be allowed to exercise until the condition had healed. If the military are that strict on their soldiers not training with shin splits, that tells you the seriousness of the condition.

:lol:

Imagine Steve diagnosing someone with lung cancer or something. Well it's your own fault for smoking you fuckwit. :lol:

I've had no scan just my GP said he suspected it was so I'm not 100% certain. I will rest it if that's what's needed it's just obviously not the ideal thing for me. Thanks for the responses lads. If it's not Shin splints any ideas of what it could be? a strained muscle or something? It flares up quite often obviously when there's been any impact on it but sometimes just when I've walked a little, it's normally very painful and stops me from running or walking but today after playing footy it hasn't been as bad maybe it's getting slightly better but I don't really want to push it.

Edited by Barton7

Guest Stevie
:lol: Anybody know any ways to cure it quickly, I've googled it but I'd like to hear anything that worked for others. Really don't want to rest it much :lol:

I had them when I was good player, fucked me for 5 month. I was at my peak then, only thing to do is rest them and alter your footwear. Samba's are nee good for shinsplints.

Aye, can't do anything until it's rested, after that exercises to strengthen the front of the shin might help. As might looking at how you run and not changing your running volume drastically at any one time.

Thanks lads whether it's actually shin splints or not I guess rest is the only thing for it then, it's come at a pretty shitty time for me too so that's a bit of a shitter :lol: .

Shin splits can come from having tight calf muscles, incorrect running technique, running on hard surfaces etc.

Best you might be able to do is tape it for now as there is a low dye strapping technique, which we use on our players. You can go and get some orthotics, if you are sitting down at work just start tapping your feet on the ground this way you can build up some strength in your tib ant region as well.

Rest is best though but the other measures will allow you to play with a reduction in pain. Try and find out what is best for you.

:) Anybody know any ways to cure it quickly, I've googled it but I'd like to hear anything that worked for others. Really don't want to rest it much :)

there is no quick cure mate, takes bout 10months

i have known lads get medically discharge for it. (army)

Try changing your footwear, and really stretching your calves and the area above and around the front of your ankle. If that doesn't help, then its rest. Could also be your running style, or the ground is too hard for you, which would make you seem like an awful little bitch :lol:

have to agree with the footwear comments. Try to find something with good arch support. Also could very well be your running style. I overpronate a lot when I run and this doesn't help with shin splints. Fixing your footwear though will help to naturally correct this. Shin Splints are a fkn pain!