Croatia 1-4 (FOUR) England

Besty

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kovac sending off was one of the most blatant sendings off in the history of world football. Bilic comments of "the ref saw the blood and acted.." fuckin aye! You're playing with fire if you launch the most boney part of your limbs in to someones head at 30mph, the measure of intent is always going to be contencious. I think we'd have went on to win 2 or 3-0 anyway, and I think 4-1 flattered them, fuck all wrong with Lampard's goal, blatant pen on Heskey first half, other sitters missed, Simunovic should've been well gone before the sending off etc etc etc...

Edited by Stevie

Kovac sending off was one of the most blatant sendings off in the history of world football. Bilic comments of "the ref saw the blood and acted.." fuckin aye! You're playing with fire if you launch the most boney part of your limbs in to someones head at 30mph, the measure of intent is always going to be contencious. I think we'd have went on to win 2 or 3-0 anyway, and I think 4-1 flattered them, fuck all wrong with Lampard's goal, blatant pen on Heskey first half, other sitters missed, Simunovic should've been well gone before the sending off etc etc etc...

I disagree Stevie, I think he lead with his arm but that sort of thing goes on in every game and there'd be about 3 sending off a match if that was classed as a blatant red. It was a straight arm as well, rather than leading with the elbow. Joe Cole 'headed' his arm rather than Kovac elbowing Cole. I've only seen it a couple of times like but that's what I thought. Didn't think there was any intent either.

Agree we were well on top as well but, as you point out, they were opportunities missed / the pen not given so the sending off was a massive turning point. Lampard's goal should have stood but that was in the 2nd half anyway.

I disagree Stevie, I think he lead with his arm but that sort of thing goes on in every game and there'd be about 3 sending off a match if that was classed as a blatant red. It was a straight arm as well, rather than leading with the elbow. Joe Cole 'headed' his arm rather than Kovac elbowing Cole. I've only seen it a couple of times like but that's what I thought. Didn't think there was any intent either.

Agree we were well on top as well but, as you point out, they were opportunities missed / the pen not given so the sending off was a massive turning point. Lampard's goal should have stood but that was in the 2nd half anyway.

They could have had 1-2 sent off before that, in fairness. They were playing with a fair bit of "commitment".

Eventually saw the highlights last night. The Kovac sending-off was very harsh imo and changed the game. You need a bit of luck sometimes though. It was a definite foul on Terry leading to their goal though. How is that not dangerous play? We played some class stuff I thought and a 4-4-2 like that with two wide men and Rooney in the hole is the sort of side most England fans would have liked to have seen for ages. The return to form of Heskey makes the system possible too though as you need that sort of forward imo to get the best out of Rooney (our best player). Also think that it should now be either Lampard or Gerrard alongside a holding player. Finally Jenas still managed to be fairly anonymous even when England were running Croatia ragged with an extra man.

I wouldnt be adverse to seeing beckham playing the holding role and I rate Hargreaves over Barry.

Eventually saw the highlights last night. The Kovac sending-off was very harsh imo and changed the game. You need a bit of luck sometimes though. It was a definite foul on Terry leading to their goal though. How is that not dangerous play? We played some class stuff I thought and a 4-4-2 like that with two wide men and Rooney in the hole is the sort of side most England fans would have liked to have seen for ages. The return to form of Heskey makes the system possible too though as you need that sort of forward imo to get the best out of Rooney (our best player). Also think that it should now be either Lampard or Gerrard alongside a holding player. Finally Jenas still managed to be fairly anonymous even when England were running Croatia ragged with an extra man.

I wouldnt be adverse to seeing beckham playing the holding role and I rate Hargreaves over Barry.

Carrick would be my first choice in there, he can be disciplined and has a good array of passing and vision.

Carrick would be my first choice in there, he can be disciplined and has a good array of passing and vision.

Aye, forgot about him. I just have something in for him as he wasnt anything special when I played against him at school. :D

Nah, in all seriousness. I was talking about him the other day being the ideal INTERNATIONAL holding midfielder. You don't necessarily need an aggressive tackler in your team at that level.

Aye, forgot about him. I just have something in for him as he wasnt anything special when I played against him at school. :D

Nah, in all seriousness. I was talking about him the other day being the ideal INTERNATIONAL holding midfielder. You don't necessarily need an aggressive tackler in your team at that level.

Le Carrier des l'eaux himself, Didier Deschamps wasn't known for his tough tackling.

been a brilliant player for Manchester united and has everything except pace, 2 good feet. great range of passing. etc etc.....

So what has he got then? :D

:D