Croatia 1-4 (FOUR) England

Besty

WORLD CUP 2010 QUALIFYING GROUP SIX

Croatia v England

Venue: Maksimir Stadium, Zagreb

Date: Wednesday, 10 September

Kick-off: 2000 BST

Coverage: Setanta Sports 1 and on BBC Radio 5 Live and streamed on the BBC Sport website

We're pretty terrible tbf and with Croatia's home record (unbeaten in 35) I think it's safe to say we're not going to win, hoping for a draw here, I think Capello might go with Heskey up top and Rooney just behind him to start with.

Discuss... ;)

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We will be humiliated, and maybe stabbed. And almost certainly fiscally abused due to a corrupt and cycnical infrastructure.

Having said that I was in Croatia a few weeks back and this local type refused to accept a perfectly good bribe.

Edited by trophyshy

I'm frankly past caring where England are concerned. Euro 96 was the last time I really got behind them.

This.

Always this.

Forever will it be this. ;)

Being logical we should lose this game tonight. We're not logical as a country though, and for no other reason than "I have a feeling" I think we're going to be the first team to win there tonight in a competitive game. English people are best in the face of adversity, when the the odds are stacked against us, we must've been a good 7/2 at one point to win World War II, you never know tonight. We could be heroes.

We will be humiliated, and maybe stabbed. And almost certainly fiscally abused due to a corrupt and cycnical infrastructure.

Having said that I was in Croatia a few weeks back and this local type refused to accept a perfectly good bribe.

He was probably disgusted at the prospect of accepting money from someone who willingly lives in a city full of darkie criminals.

He was probably disgusted at the prospect of accepting money from someone who willingly lives in a city full of darkie criminals.

;)

Reading Stevies post has actually hammered it home for me. When he speaks of England, he says "we" ... He's obviously still behind England and feels part of the sleeping beastie, but I just don't. When I speak of England it's like that, I refer to the team as England, never us, or we, like I would with Newcastle.

I guess I truly have fallen out of love with the English side. It's like the first time you meet an ex after a while and those butterflies you used to get just aren't there any more, you could be in a compromising situation and there's just no spark.

No stevie, this doesn't make me better or worse than you, more or less patriotic or any of that shite, before you start.

Reading Stevies post has actually hammered it home for me. When he speaks of England, he says "we" ... He's obviously still behind England and feels part of the sleeping beastie, but I just don't. When I speak of England it's like that, I refer to the team as England, never us, or we, like I would with Newcastle.

I guess I truly have fallen out of love with the English side. It's like the first time you meet an ex after a while and those butterflies you used to get just aren't there any more, you could be in a compromising situation and there's just no spark.

No stevie, this doesn't make me better or worse than you, more or less patriotic or any of that shite, before you start.

A lot of people would come flooding back behind the team if we were fucking good, and could win something, or had half a squad who aren't spoilt dickheads who don't give a fuck. Similarly with Newcastle for me though it's all about loyalty, I've watched England at home and away in tournaments, before the jesters hat brigade got involved Euro 2004, and regardless who's in charge, what dickheads there are behind the scenes I still love Newcastle and England very much in that order though. Shame England didn't have a few Stuart Pearce types though these days.

I've got Setanta at home but not over here. Fancied watching this as well as I think it'll be a good game. Capello's first 'proper' game as well really. Hope Heskey starts as well. Aye, you read that right.

A lot of people would come flooding back behind the team if we were fucking good, and could win something, or had half a squad who aren't spoilt dickheads who don't give a fuck. Similarly with Newcastle for me though it's all about loyalty, I've watched England at home and away in tournaments, before the jesters hat brigade got involved Euro 2004, and regardless who's in charge, what dickheads there are behind the scenes I still love Newcastle and England very much in that order though. Shame England didn't have a few Stuart Pearce types though these days.

Ability and attitude-wise.

I reckon that's a big part of my lassitude. They don't care, so why should I?

I mean Rooney works hard and Beckham kisses his badge, but I'm not convinced. Euro 96 had (excuse the pun) Lions all over the pitch. Each in their own way giving their soul to England for the duration of the game. Shearer, with his bullish determination, Gazza's wit and guile on the pitch, Pearce's guts and glory. It was clear to everybody that the majority of the team would leave a Terry Butcher smear on that grass. And now? Well now you see Carragher stating quite brazenly his disdain for the shirt, Lampard and Gerrard would amaze me if they performed for their country with the same commitment and vigour they display for their club.

I honestly think if England are to be successful there needs to be a change in the way professionals see the national side. We might have Lions, but there's no pride.

There's a lot made of this but I just don't think we're very good. The players give their all most of the time imo but we're just lacking in too many key areas. In particular upfront. It's no coincidence Spain lost their perennial underachievers tag when they had Torres and Villa upfront.

There's a lot made of this but I just don't think we're very good. The players give their all most of the time imo but we're just lacking in too many key areas. In particular upfront. It's no coincidence Spain lost their perennial underachievers tag when they had Torres and Villa upfront.

You say that but England has (arguably) two of the best central midfielders in the world, two top class strikers, Two top class centre halves, at least one left back of genuine quality.

That's a very strong spine.

Gerrard and Lampard, Rooney and Owen, Terry and Ferdinand and Ashley Cole.

Now with a team with that spine, there should have been some performances of note, but there really hasn't been one that leaps out.

With the likes of Young, J.Cole, Richards, Barry, Defoe, Agbonlahor on the periphery England should do a lot better than it does, in friendlies and in competitions.