David Cameron heading for election landslide

Meenzer

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics...-landslide.html

David Cameron is heading for a landslide election victory after a new opinion poll shows a dramatic 12 per cent shift to the Conservatives in the key marginals.

The survey by Channel 4 News in 60 Labour held target seats also reveals that voters regard Gordon Brown as "out of touch", "indecisive", "gloomy" and "incompetent".

If there was a general election tomorrow Mr Cameron would be the new Prime Minister with a Commons majority of up to 150 on a swing of 12 per cent even larger than the one enjoyed by Tony Blair in his first election landslide.

Only one per cent of those polled said that they rated Mr Brown's performance as excellent with 59 per cent describing it as "poor, bad, or dreadful". The poll also showed 79 per cent regard the Labour Party as hopelessly divided.

Ouch.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Well that's everyone but the middle and upper classes fucked.

:D

Well that only leaves the chavs.... no loss. :D

But seriously the best thing for any democratic system is a 5 to at most 10 year turn over. Once you get parties that have been in power for most of 2 terms or longer, the rot, sleaze, corruption, in-fighting and complacency has usually riddled the administration.

Worst thing that could happen for the UK is Labour winning another term, doesn't matter who replaces them (probably even for the chavs).

I also think the cult of celebrity played a large part of Blair's (initial) success, he ran a Presidential campaign, he won the people's attention because he tried to portray himself as something other than a staid, boring politician. Rightly or wrongly that presidential approach worked, but because of that I fear people are looking for a leader to get us out of this mess. We should be looking for a party to get us out of this mess.

I agree with Fop, fwiw, another Labour term could be disastrous for this country, I'm not enamoured with some of the tories' policies, but they're the most likely to get in and they're not so removed from the centre that I can truly have philosophical complaints.

I'm not making a cohesive statement, so I'm going to stop there (you've no idea how many times I've had to go over the spelling in this post...)

I also think the cult of celebrity played a large part of Blair's (initial) success, he ran a Presidential campaign, he won the people's attention because he tried to portray himself as something other than a staid, boring politician. Rightly or wrongly that presidential approach worked, but because of that I fear people are looking for a leader to get us out of this mess. We should be looking for a party to get us out of this mess.

I agree with Fop, fwiw, another Labour term could be disastrous for this country, I'm not enamoured with some of the tories' policies, but they're the most likely to get in and they're not so removed from the centre that I can truly have philosophical complaints.

I'm not making a cohesive statement, so I'm going to stop there (you've no idea how many times I've had to go over the spelling in this post...)

The two main parties are so alike in terms of policy I don't think it makes any difference. People are a bit sick of Labour though and Brown isn't exactly charismatic and things beyond the control of the government have had a detrimental effect on how the government is perceived. It's unlikely to make much difference who wins the next half a dozen elections though imo.

The two main parties are so alike in terms of policy I don't think it makes any difference. People are a bit sick of Labour though and Brown isn't exactly charismatic and things beyond the control of the government have had a detrimental effect on how the government is perceived. It's unlikely to make much difference who wins the next half a dozen elections though imo.

The worry is that in search of radical solutions to what amounts to be pretty run-of-the-mill problems, the voters will become marginalised.

Because immigration is a hot-topic, it gets a lot of news, because it gets a lot of news a lot of politicians are asked for the solution and when they don't give a straight answer the voters seem to go for someone who's happy to give a straight answer, without considering that this politician is able to give a straight answer because they're unburdened by the shackles of actually enforcing the final solution.

The BNP are becoming more powerful because the voters are becoming more and more reactionary.

Well I've just learned that I'm allowed to vote, the magic of the Commonwealth and all of that. I'm not going to, just wanted to let you know how cushy your country is, so friendly to us foreigners.

• 2 months later...

"New" Labour's bolt is shot in my view - as a pretty much left wing person I've been extremely disappointed with what they've done in the last 11 years though up until 6 months ago, I think it took an idiot to claim the country wasn't better off as a whole.

I'm not too bothered about the Tories getting in - firstly it will make people realise who've forgotten and who don't know them what a bunch of black-hearted evil bastards they all are and secondly I hope it will force Labour to find some kind of ideals as much as they can in the modern world.

well the lib dems aren't going to win shite, and the conservatives are in in my area, and have been for a while. they'll win again, because where i live has the highest population of millionares per head seemingly.....

i think david cameron is by far the more charismatic leader than brown, but thats like saying i'd rather have ebola than non curable cancer.

i reckon despite the recent outrage on the bnp , there will be more people than ever before voting for them. of course a lot of it is reactionary bs in relation to the weakened stance on immigrants imposed by the labour govt.

also this labour govt (or at least its front man) got us into this mess where jobs are now at risk and the currency is devalued as they've f***ed the economy up.

having said that i'm not voting.

When it comes to the crunch though how many people who remember the 80s and early nineties actually vote Tory? There is a lot of pent up hatred out there.

I don't think The People's Dave is a particularly attractive candidate for PM (not that Gordy is the poster boy mind).

Is there an Obama character out there for us? Where is the White (or Black/Asian/Whatever) Knight?

also this labour govt (or at least its front man) got us into this mess where jobs are now at risk and the currency is devalued as they've f***ed the economy up.

The international banking system fucked the economy not the goveenment - though they do deserve a bit of blame for lack of regulation.

The international banking system fucked the economy not the goveenment - though they do deserve a bit of blame for lack of regulation.

Long before the global crash people were questioning Gordon Browns borrowing and selling of our reserves.

Apr 2007....

"Brown offloaded the gold at a 20-year low in the market — now nicknamed the “Brown Bottom” by dealers. The 17 auctions achieved prices for the gold of between $256 and $296 an ounce, with an average of $275. Since then gold has risen sharply in value and stood yesterday at $685. This year, some top investment banks have predicted, it could even rise above the all-time high of $850. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle1655001.ece

The price of gold currently sits at $784.60

http://www.goldprice.org/gold-price.html

There may be truth in that from a top-down perspective, but from the bottom up (i.e. us plebs) the government deserves a good deal of blame for letting house prices and personal debt spiral to unsustainable levels.

There may be truth in that from a top-down perspective, but from the bottom up (i.e. us plebs) the government deserves a good deal of blame for letting house prices and personal debt spiral to unsustainable levels.

Possibly but I don't see house prices especially as something under government control short of a massive investment in social housing to satisfy demand (something I would like to have seen).

I also think any mooted control of personal credit would have been extremely unpopular - however much warranted.

Long before the global crash people were questioning Gordon Browns borrowing and selling of our reserves.

The gold sale does appear in hindsight to be a huge fuckup - a fair cop - however much like the Iraq war its something I can't see the Tories not having done the same on any kind of principled basis.

Possibly but I don't see house prices especially as something under government control short of a massive investment in social housing to satisfy demand (something I would like to have seen).

Imposing some kind of limits on buy-to-let landlords and 100%+ interest-only mortgages at ridiculous multiples of income would have been a start.