Ashley snubs takeover talks for cocktails

Scottish Mag

See what I mean man?

He's wrong for trying to make it work then he's wrong for walking out after he was completely undermined.

If you're not happy with the set up then walk away, don't lie to everyone that it's alright until the window closes and then walk which is the worst possible time.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take it it must be one hell of a coincidence that the press were reporting nearly everyday that Keegan was unhappy that he had little say in transfers only for it to turn out to be true, i wonder who was feeding them that story?

Have a read of this article from the beginning of May> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...er-targets.html

Now do you honestly think that it was bollocks then and everything was rosey up until the end of the transfer window? He knew what was happening yet was happy to come out and lie to the fans about it before walking out on the club the day after the transfer window leaving us in the shit, yet because it's king Kev everyone licks his arse and thinks he's done no wrong.

That article is from just before the infamous "clear the air talks" where he was assured he had final say. So he said he had concerns which were then laid to rest only for them to surface massively later.

And you wonder why he was insistent on not talking further without it being backed up by personnel changes?

How do you know he was assured then he had the final say? And if he did have the final say then why did he say in an interview (on Sky after the Man Utd game) that Wise and Jimenez came to him and said they had signed Jonas, only for him to go and look him up on the internet?

See what I mean man?

He's wrong for trying to make it work then he's wrong for walking out after he was completely undermined.

If you're not happy with the set up then walk away, don't lie to everyone that it's alright until the window closes and then walk which is the worst possible time.

He did walk away. Very soon after taking the job. Which, as I've pointed out, you're also having a go at him for. Alright, he lied, probably for the right reasons (imo) not to sell the 3 year ticket deal like you claim. It wasn't the worst time possible either although the final dealings were probably the straw that broke the camel's back.

The thing that really bothers about him getting X million over what he's put into the club when selling (other than a large price chasing potential buyers off) is that no matter who buy us, that money is money that is then no longer available for the club. Not that I think Ashley, Wise or any of them deserve any profit for the debacle they have created.

Exactly - every pound of profit is a pound less to spend.

What a cunt for getting as much as he can for a club who's fans have protested to get him out.

The "nonsense" reports that he was trying to sell the club when everything was rosy also had inflated figures - admittedly not this high but that just makes him look even worse.

Similar to the "nonsense" reports that Keegan had no say in transfers which he came out and denied so that everyone went out and signed up to 3 year deals, only that turned out to be true too.

Both as bad as each other.

So Keegan restating what he'd been told and what had been said by Ashley in the press makes Keegan a liar?

I take it it must be one hell of a coincidence that the press were reporting nearly everyday that Keegan was unhappy that he had little say in transfers only for it to turn out to be true, i wonder who was feeding them that story?

Have a read of this article from the beginning of May> http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...er-targets.html

Now do you honestly think that it was bollocks then and everything was rosey up until the end of the transfer window? He knew what was happening yet was happy to come out and lie to the fans about it before walking out on the club the day after the transfer window leaving us in the shit, yet because it's king Kev everyone licks his arse and thinks he's done no wrong.

Maybe he came to the end of the line if rumours were true about the club trying to sell players behind his back?

Like you say it's rumours, mind you if the rumour that Keegan didn't want a new striker because he thought Smith was good enough up front was right then I'd have sacked the cunt for stupidity.

The thing that really bothers about him getting X million over what he's put into the club when selling (other than a large price chasing potential buyers off) is that no matter who buy us, that money is money that is then no longer available for the club. Not that I think Ashley, Wise or any of them deserve any profit for the debacle they have created.

Exactly - every pound of profit is a pound less to spend.

What a cunt for getting as much as he can for a club who's fans have protested to get him out.

The "nonsense" reports that he was trying to sell the club when everything was rosy also had inflated figures - admittedly not this high but that just makes him look even worse.

Similar to the "nonsense" reports that Keegan had no say in transfers which he came out and denied so that everyone went out and signed up to 3 year deals, only that turned out to be true too.

Both as bad as each other.

So Keegan restating what he'd been told and what had been said by Ashley in the press makes Keegan a liar?

Maybe he came to the end of the line if rumours were true about the club trying to sell players behind his back?

Like you say it's rumours, mind you if the rumour that Keegan didn't want a new striker because he thought Smith was good enough up front was right then I'd have sacked the cunt for stupidity.

Everything is all rumours unfortunately at the moment and people are just going by their gut instinct.

That article is from just before the infamous "clear the air talks" where he was assured he had final say. So he said he had concerns which were then laid to rest only for them to surface massively later.

And you wonder why he was insistent on not talking further without it being backed up by personnel changes?

How do you know he was assured then he had the final say? And if he did have the final say then why did he say in an interview (on Sky after the Man Utd game) that Wise and Jimenez came to him and said they had signed Jonas, only for him to go and look him up on the internet?

Because the Ashley interview was after the meeting and he also said he was happy with the outcome.

Maybe he thought Jonas was acceptable at the time but the two deadline day deals when they should have been concentrating on his squad concerns were a step too far.

I do share some of the "he shouldn't have quite when he did" feelings but to make the whole thing a 50/50 deal is absolutely ludicrous.

See what I mean man?

If he did that then people like you would STILL complain about it. :snakehips:

Beside it was clearly Milner and the Barton + Owen attempted sale that broke the camels back.

Honestly how can you support Wise as DoF? Especially as if Keegan has his way we'd currently have a stronger squad?

Because the Ashley interview was after the meeting and he also said he was happy with the outcome.

Maybe he thought Jonas was acceptable at the time but the two deadline day deals when they should have been concentrating on his squad concerns were a step too far.

I do share some of the "he shouldn't have quite when he did" feelings but to make the whole thing a 50/50 deal is absolutely ludicrous.

Ashley said in his interview that the club will put up the money for the players Keegan thinks are right, what he didn't say then that has been mentioned by him and other members of the board is that they have to fit in with the clubs strategy which is to buy younger players on the way up rather than older players on the way down, I think the club were happy to let Keegan have the final say up to a point more out of goodwill rather than it being agreed that it was the way the club should be ran, something clearly happened though between the signing of Bassong up until the final day which caused a split behind the scenes and made the board feel as if they had to go over the managers head just to get players in.

I don't really see what Ashley has done wrong except appointing Keegan in the first place, not because I think he's a bad manager but because he's not someone who would work well with the strategy of the club, I also think it's all been blown out of proportion simply because it was Keegan who walked as if it was anyone else the fans would be making as much of a fuss as the West Ham fans are over Curbishly, but that's Ashley problem as he was happy to take the credit for bringing him back.

what he didn't say then that has been mentioned by him and other members of the board is that they have to fit in with the clubs strategy which is to buy younger players on the way up rather than older players on the way down,

So you think we'd be better off with Keegan, but without Barton and Owen in the current situation?

I don't really see what Ashley has done wrong except appointing Keegan in the first place, not because I think he's a bad manager but because he's not someone who would work well with the strategy of the club, I also think it's all been blown out of proportion simply because it was Keegan who walked as if it was anyone else the fans would be making as much of a fuss as the West Ham fans are over Curbishly, but that's Ashley problem as he was happy to take the credit for bringing him back.

You're obviously not looking hard enough Baggio.

Ashley said in his interview that the club will put up the money for the players Keegan thinks are right, what he didn't say then that has been mentioned by him and other members of the board is that they have to fit in with the clubs strategy which is to buy younger players on the way up rather than older players on the way down, I think the club were happy to let Keegan have the final say up to a point more out of goodwill rather than it being agreed that it was the way the club should be ran, something clearly happened though between the signing of Bassong up until the final day which caused a split behind the scenes and made the board feel as if they had to go over the managers head just to get players in.

Blown out of proportion due to it being Keegan? Possibly. However, it was more to do with the fact that the football being played was actually getting better - something supporters want first and foremost in their team!!! That's why Wist 'am fans didn't kick off; because'Curbs' hadn't improved the team ffs

Who are these old players on the way down Keegan was trying to bring in? I wonder.

You saw the press release Alex, it was Lampard, Henry and Beckham!

Those were their names, I couldn't quite remember.

See what I mean man?

Beside it was clearly Milner and the Barton + Owen attempted sale that broke the camels back.

Honestly how can you support Wise as DoF? Especially as if Keegan has his way we'd currently have a stronger squad?

I wouldn't be complaining because I'd realise it was for the good of the club, I'm not sure how it was clear the club tried to sell Owen? the Milner money was just to good to turn down and Keegan was happy with that (or he claimed he was) on the understanding that he would be replaced, now the club was rejected by Schweinsteiger on the last day (according to Jimenez's associate on N-O) which is unfortunate but it would have meant getting someone else in in January, nothing wrong with that and I can't see why keegan would have a problem with it either since he faced the same situation when he sold Andy Cole.

Wise isn't someone I'd have chosen but I can't knock the players he's brought in with the help of Jimenez and Vetere, would Keegan have done better with a similar budget? I'd say he'd have no chance.

That's why Wist 'am fans didn't kick off; because'Curbs' hadn't improved the team ffs

Yes he did, he brought in Parker, Dyer, Bowyer and Bellamy - something that hasn't been lost on the wist 'am supporters I know.

(Not to mention migrane Freddy.)

Leaving Keegan completely out of the equation, the overriding fact is that the recruitment structore/policy/team have failed to strengthen the squad to a satisfactory degree. Those involved and those who defined and peopled the structure have to take responsibility for that.

Everyone recognises that the system worked to a point given the promising signings but there were not enough of those and not enough in areas that the manager had requested. If they weren't going by the manager's advice then how can they make judgements about the squad when they are removed from them on a daily basis (Bobby's point).

That is what Ashley has done wrong.

Wise isn't someone I'd have chosen but I can't knock the players he's brought in with the help of Jimenez and Vetere, would Keegan have done better with a similar budget? I'd say he'd have no chance.

Thats purely guesswork? If if the "Three Wise Men" had not been in place it wouldn't just be Keegan picking names out of a hat, he would have a scouting team so its pretty much impossible to assume who he may or may not have been interested in.

I'm going to have to call you out on this.

If you're honest and look at Keegan's career as a manager he's had more than his share of value buys and bring talent through the ranks of the club.

Stop believing the Keegan did away with the reserves bollocks and look at the bairns he brought through successfully at Fulham and Citeh. Or the way he's turned player's careers around.

Next thing you'll be telling us our defensive record under him the first time was shite.

See what I mean man?

I wouldn't be complaining because I'd realise it was for the good of the club, I'm not sure how it was clear the club tried to sell Owen? the Milner money was just to good to turn down and Keegan was happy with that (or he claimed he was) on the understanding that he would be replaced, now the club was rejected by Schweinsteiger on the last day (according to Jimenez's associate on N-O) which is unfortunate but it would have meant getting someone else in in January, nothing wrong with that and I can't see why keegan would have a problem with it either since he faced the same situation when he sold Andy Cole.

Aye, but we didn't fucking get Schweinstiger, did we? That's the problem. Milner was sold and not replaced. And unlike the Andy Cole situation we've got a tiny squad, lacking in quality. Selling Cole then meant missing out on the Uefa Cup and came 6th. The size of the squad now leaves us in precarious situation. So does the smaller transfer window and the restrictions that causes.

Also, I think it's clear that something was going on with Owen to the extent that the club felt they had to announce he'd been offered a new improved deal. There was a rabbit off there as well.

And you say 'would Keegan have done better with a similar sized budget?' Isn't the budget one of the major problems here? No one was expecting us to go beserk with new players but the budget we had wasn’t adequate. I know, it’s all part of the ‘strategy’.

would Keegan have done better with a similar budget? I'd say he'd have no chance.

I fundamentally disagree.

Keegan's record last time around shows that.

So Keegan would have bought better than what we've got with a net spend of £0?