Ashley snubs takeover talks for cocktails

Scottish Mag

mikeashley24_thumb.jpg

Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley snubbed a crucial meeting with Arab investors on Tuesday night – choosing instead to spend the evening drinking Mojito cocktails at a Dubai beach bar.

Ashley had been due to hold talks with Dubai officials over a possible sale of the club, at the Mina A’Salam Ramadan Tent, in the Madinat Jumeirah Hotel.

The meeting was due to begin at 11pm, and followed the handing over of sale documents for the club earlier in the day, in which Ashley stated he wanted no less than $860 million to sell Newcastle FC – more than twice the sum he paid for it in 2007.

Sources close to the talks say an offer had been made to buy the club on Tuesday, of around $360 million. A follow-up meeting was planned to discuss the offer.

However, Ashley arrived at the Bahri Bar, just five minutes walk from the Ramadan Tent, at just before 10pm last night and began ordering drinks.

He was joined at the bar by Newcastle United managing director Derek Llambias and director of football Dennis Wise.

While standing at the bar Ashley was overheard to tell Llambias that he wouldn’t go to the Ramadan Tent saying the earlier offer was an “insult”.

Wise and Llambias briefly left the bar on several occasions to answer calls on their mobile phones, while Ashley himself remained. The group left shortly after 1am on Wednesday morning.

Dubai officials had gathered at the nearby Al Majlis beachside tent, where Ashley had been invited to join them for talks over dinner.

Ashley and his party were due to be flying back to the UK on Thursday morning. However, it is understood they may leave Dubai on Wednesday, as the chances of any takeover fade.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of the facts, the truth be known Ashley needs to face up the facts the club as it currently is, right this moment, isn't worth the ridiculous amount he wants.

Why?

Because of the people he has running it, into the ground.

As if Ashley would take Wise along for sale discussions. Rubbish. Oh, and Ashley was 'overheard'. What utter baloney.

Wise was there.

It'll fuck me off no end if Wise, Lambrusco and Co. get massive pay-off's for basically drunken joyriding NUFC into wall.

As if Ashley would take Wise along for sale discussions. Rubbish. Oh, and Ashley was 'overheard'. What utter baloney.

Wise was there.

It'll fuck me off no end if Wise, Lambrusco and Co. get massive pay-off's for basically drunken joyriding NUFC into wall.

I don't think this is one they will walk away from. :ph34r:

Wise was there.

Win-win for them though.

Wise was there.

Well what else is gonna happen?

I could be, well wide of the mark, to borrow a phrase ( ;) ) but I just can't see Ashley taking Jimmy Crankie along to be involved in discussions about selling the club. Why??????? It would be like me taking my ten year old daughter to help sell my house - there's just no logic to it.

btw, I don't have a ten year old daughter. Well, not that I'm aware of :ph34r:

I could be, well wide of the mark, to borrow a phrase ( ;) ) but I just can't see Ashley taking Jimmy Crankie along to be involved in discussions about selling the club. Why??????? It would be like me taking my ten year old daughter to help sell my house - there's just no logic to it.

btw, I don't have a ten year old daughter. Well, not that I'm aware of :ph34r:

Wise was there and Lambrini and other shady looking hangers on.

http://www.skirge.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ashley.mp3

Edited by Park Life

I could be, well wide of the mark, to borrow a phrase ( :rolleyes: ) but I just can't see Ashley taking Jimmy Crankie along to be involved in discussions about selling the club. Why??????? It would be like me taking my ten year old daughter to help sell my house - there's just no logic to it.

btw, I don't have a ten year old daughter. Well, not that I'm aware of :snakehips:

It would be hard to mistake Wise.

"oh look there's Dennis Wise........... ah my mistake it was an evil garden gnome trying to pick a fight with a wall".

I could be, well wide of the mark, to borrow a phrase ( :rolleyes: ) but I just can't see Ashley taking Jimmy Crankie along to be involved in discussions about selling the club. Why??????? It would be like me taking my ten year old daughter to help sell my house - there's just no logic to it.

btw, I don't have a ten year old daughter. Well, not that I'm aware of :snakehips:

It would be hard to mistake Wise.

"oh look there's Dennis Wise........... ah my mistake it was an evil garden gnome trying to pick a fight with a wall".

:rolleyes:

Okay, I've heard the tape. Ashley has probably taken his cronies to Dubai for a beano as a 'treat' from all the goings-on - nothing more.

Will the Chinese guy, who TTTV talking about yesterday, please stand up now. He's supposed to be wanting to expand SJP as well as bolster the team. That was on TTTV yesterday, btw, and not just made up.

Radio host: Are these men with burdens on their shoulders or are the jovial?

Caller from Dubai: They look very jovial, drinking...Ashley broke into football song and then went to his knees as if he was praying...

Okay, I've heard the tape. Ashley has probably taken his cronies to Dubai for a beano as a 'treat' from all the goings-on - nothing more.

Will the Chinese guy, who TTTV talking about yesterday, please stand up now. He's supposed to be wanting to expand SJP as well as bolster the team. That was on TTTV yesterday, btw, and not just made up.

He is there to broker a deal.

How much of a cunt is Ashley coming across now, by the way? After his statement there were still seeds of doubt in my mind that we'd been over the top in our reaction but this missing meetings to get pissed with the lads lark just makes it harder for him to court potential buyers and means we'll be waiting longer for a stable resolution to the whole thing.

I might be being naive but I find the Chinese/ground development option the most intriuging although obviously it would also have to involve the hoped for team investment.

How much of a cunt is Ashley coming across now, by the way? After his statement there were still seeds of doubt in my mind that we'd been over the top in our reaction but this missing meetings to get pissed with the lads lark just makes it harder for him to court potential buyers and means we'll be waiting longer for a stable resolution to the whole thing.

Am I the only one who doesn't believe this??

EDIT: Perhaps Ashley is, after all, a grade 'A' cunt and is just toying with the NUFC fans by making them believe this shit about Middle East investors, raising their (the supporters) hopes and then partying instead of the supposed deal making?? Not just the NUFC supporters, but winding up the press as well??

Edited by snakehips

Nah, that's pure bull imo.

I think you are underestimating the specific nature of the cunt we are dealing with.

Nah, that's pure bull imo.

He didn't miss the meeting to get pissed, he didn't go into the tent where he was invited by the delegation for dinner as believes the offer to be 'insulting'. Quite different.