Shola

Guest alex

This isn't a proper Toon Board without a thread having a go at Shola, so I thought I'd start one. Also, does anyone think we should get Robert and Bellamy back?

Poor Shola.

He's not as bad as people make out, but he's nowhere near as good as he thinks he is. He was touting himself for England again last week.

3832[/snapback]

Aye, pretty much spot on. I hate the way he becomes an easy target for the boo boys but I don't think he's good enough. I don't think Big Al is any better these days though, which is really sad when you think about it.

Can I be the first to start a "JJ: Good or bad?" thread .... :razz:

3845[/snapback]

Overated but again not as bad as some people make out. Flashes of some good stuff, but the only problem I have with him is not that he has bad games where he makes a lot of mistakes, but the fact he has a lot of anonymous games where you forget he's playing.

3845[/snapback]

Overated but again not as bad as some people make out. Flashes of some good stuff, but the only problem I have with him is not that he has bad games where he makes a lot of mistakes, but the fact he has a lot of anonymous games where you forget he's playing.

3849[/snapback]

The problem I have is that we didn't sell him to Arsenal for £9million.

3845[/snapback]

3849[/snapback]

The problem I have is that we didn't sell him to Arsenal for £9million.

3854[/snapback]

I would of driven him down there for £9m and used the money to tempt Real Madrid and Owen. I'm not saying he would have come here, but £9m-£10m more in our pockets might have given us some clout.

At the end of the season before last, Shola was being linked with a move to Everton (actually, maybe it was a bit later on, when we were linked with Rooney).

I actually would have been a bit pissed off had we lost him, he scored a good goal against Liverpool on the last day of the season, and had occasionally shown glimpses of the fact the he might not be shit.

He had a couple of good games last year as well, notably home to Arsenal and away to West Brom. But in general, the lad was fairly crap, we'll strike that down to the fact he was our only striker at one stage, and he was carrying an injury.

Half of me would hate to see him join another club, at a cheap sum, and go on to be a good 15goals per season striker at Villa(for example).

The other half reckons reckons that there's f*ck all chance of Shola scoring that regularly.

At the end of the season before last, Shola was being linked with a move to Everton (actually, maybe it was a bit later on, when we were linked with Rooney).

I actually would have been a bit pissed off had we lost him, he scored a good goal against Liverpool on the last day of the season, and had occasionally shown glimpses of the fact the he might not be shit.

He had a couple of good games last year as well, notably home to Arsenal and away to West Brom. But in general, the lad was fairly crap, we'll strike that down to the fact he was our only striker at one stage, and he was carrying an injury.

Half of me would hate to see him join another club, at a cheap sum, and go on to be a good 15goals per season striker at Villa(for example).

The other half reckons reckons that there's f*ck all chance of Shola scoring that regularly.

3895[/snapback]

Aye, well summed up. He was excellent against Arsenal, and I also thought he was one of the few who showed up at Cardiff and looked like he gave a shit.

Yes, forgot to mention Cardiff and also, away to Barcelona, while his mate was doing his little T-Pot impression, Shola was busy being awesome.

His dribbling can be brilliant at times, at others though, he looks like a retarded walrus having an seizure. *

I know we've all said this repeatedly, but this season really could be make or break for the lad. If he's fully fit, no doubt he'll get a good few games.

Also, if we don't get LBM, I can see the master tactician playing Shola on the left wing.

*DISCLAIMER : No offence meant to retarded walrus' for the comparison.

When it comes to Shola I'm firmly stuck on the fence. Decent squad player who was looking piss poor playing with a hip that was shot to shit (I don't think thats the medical term for it though). Even when he comes back he's going to need alot of first team football to shake off the rust and see if the operation has had any effect on his game. Playing bit parts here and there won't particularly do him much good.

i think we will see the best of shola after shearer retires. all his best ames have come when shearer's been injured. they just don't work as a partnership.

Thing about Shola for me is 2 games in 10 he can look a fucking awesome player. Holds the ball well, good feet, does a lot of good stuff outwide, etc. However, the other 8 games in 10 he looks like Akinbiyi. Next season if he can turn the 2 in 10 good games to 6 or 7, he might have a chance.

3895[/snapback]

and that super equaliser vs chelsea

i think we will see the best of shola after shearer retires. all his best ames have come when shearer's been injured. they just don't work as a partnership.

4053[/snapback]

God knows how Shola will end up, but if he is ever going to do anything then you're right, him and Shearer together is shocking. They both suffer and make each other look worse and the team really suffers as well.

4053[/snapback]

personaly I think we have already seen the best of Shola :D .... :blush:

maybe if he didn't play through the pain barrier with hip and shoulder problems all season and get played out of position we could judge... but i suppose if he got the operations and was injured he'd be a mercenary right?