The whitewashing of Stalin

Fop

More importantly. Wasn't Michael Crawford up for that greatest Briton thing? ;)

Wasn't Diana?

She was in the top ten iirc :( Crawford and Sir Cliff made the top 100 though I think. As a result of cat-loving spinsters being pressed into action by their respective fan clubs.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll admit I prefer Stalin.

Hitler bombed England. Stalin helped beat him, despite the atrocities, he's done something for us.

Yup, that is the point. :(

Hardly a revelation then is it? "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is as old as time.

Except he wasn't your friend (and wasn't even the enemy of my enemy post-WW2), and was really rather a bit of bounder and a cad, but "gets away with it" which again is the point. ;)

That's the point of the quote you doofus, he's not our friend, but as the enemy of our primary enemy, he was. The Chinese say "It is good to strike the serpent's head with your enemy's hand." which makes it a bit clearer for you.

I know you like arguing, but the point in this thread where you start to argue Stalin was great is one I'm immensely looking forward too. :(

I'd suggest no such thing. But it's no revelation that British history looks more kindly upon him given that he's never been an as immediate a threat to us.

Hitler bombed England. Stalin helped beat him, despite the atrocities, he's done something for us.

Hardly a revelation then is it? "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" is as old as time.

Except he wasn't your friend (and wasn't even the enemy of my enemy post-WW2), and was really rather a bit of bounder and a cad, but "gets away with it" which again is the point. ;)

I know you like arguing, but the point in this thread where you start to argue Stalin was great is one I'm immensely looking forward too. :(

Probably because Stalin was brown bread before the height of the Cold War as well. I'm not sticking up for him, just I can see why Hitler is more reviled in UK.

Speaking of dictators, i was smoking some killer cambodian at the weekend.

Did you read about the bumper harvest in the Lebanon this year? Unfortunately about 95% stays within the country. That's some quality resin as well man :(

Edit: Missed the rather obvious Pol Pot gag ;)

Edited by alex

Speaking of dictators, i was smoking some killer cambodian at the weekend.

Did you read about the bumper harvest in the Lebanon this year? Unfortunately about 95% stays within the country. That's some quality resin as well man ;)

Edit: Missed the rather obvious Pol Pot gag :(

:( Its a classic.

That's the point of the quote you doofus, he's not our friend, but as the enemy of our primary enemy, he was. The Chinese say "It is good to strike the serpent's head with your enemy's hand." which makes it a bit clearer for you.

Yes, but that is the point (doofus :D ).

I know you like arguing, but the point in this thread where you start to argue Stalin was great is one I'm immensely looking forward too. :D

I'd suggest no such thing.

You will if I keep this up. :(

But it's no revelation that British history looks more kindly upon him given that he's never been an as immediate a threat to us.

Is that really why you think Hitler is viewed as different then? Purely because of once upon a time immediate threat?

Jewish conspiracy? [/Parky]

Well he didn't like them much either and certainly killed his fair share (unless it was a cunning double bluff by them to get Stalin to do it to provoke the USA which in turn would help with a zionist agenda.... it all makes sense now!! ;)). :(

Soviet style stuff is cool. I've got a Soviet propaganda poster up on my wall. Fuck knows what it says like.

Communism is like an extension of teenage rebellion. Especially if you're middle class. Fascism doesn't seem to have the same wide appeal for some reason. Trotsky is cooler than Stalin though. :(

Soviet style stuff is cool. I've got a Soviet propaganda poster up on my wall. Fuck knows what it says like.

Communism is like an extension of teenage rebellion. Especially if you're middle class. Fascism doesn't seem to have the same wide appeal for some reason. Trotsky is cooler than Stalin though. :(

Not a commie in the slightest, just generally Cyrillic writing looks cool IMO - probably because its different and the posters/art etc were done in a specific style. Quite fancy getting some chinese/north korean ones n all but they're a lot harder to find.

Not a commie in the slightest, just generally Cyrillic writing looks cool IMO - probably because its different and the posters/art etc were done in a specific style. Quite fancy getting some chinese/north korean ones n all but they're a lot harder to find.

Sorry, I wasn't suggesting you were a Communist or having a phase of middle class rebellion although I can see why you thought that from my post.

Aye, it absolutely is, the irony that's it's pretty much the same jackbooted fascism (with different PR) seems to be entirely lost on them. ;)

The bigger irony is 99% of them will be working for "the man" a couple of years later and by then will see nothing wrong with it. :D

I blame Hitler personally. :(

I know religion gets a bad rap when it comes to the causes of war, but has religion (or lack of) really had much to do with any war in the past century?

Israel/Palestine

India/Pakistan

Yugoslavia

Sri Lanka

NI

All could be described as ethnic/nationalist as well but elements of religion poison and underpin them.

I know religion gets a bad rap when it comes to the causes of war, but has religion (or lack of) really had much to do with any war in the past century?

Israel/Palestine

India/Pakistan

Yugoslavia

Sri Lanka

NI

All could be described as ethnic/nationalist as well but elements of religion poison and underpin them.

They're about land or self-governance aren't they?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religious_war

"Many wars that are not religious wars often still include elements of religion, such as priests blessing battleships. Differences in religion can further inflame a war being fought for other reasons. Historically, temples have been destroyed to weaken the morale of the opponent, even when the war itself is not being waged over religious ideals.

In modern times religious designations are sometimes used as shorthand for cultural and historical differences between combatants, giving the impression that the conflict is primarily about religious differences. For example, The Troubles in Northern Ireland are frequently seen as a conflict between Catholic and Protestant. However, the more fundamental cause is the attachment of Northern Ireland to either the Republic of Ireland or the United Kingdom. As the native Irish were mostly Catholic, and the later English-sponsored immigrants mainly Protestant, the terms become shorthand for the two cultures. It cannot be denied that religion does play a part in the conflict, since churches are used as organizing points for demonstrations, and Protestants are far more likely to oppose union with the Catholic-dominated Republic.

"

Edited by Happy Face

Yeah but simple explanations like that ignore the use of the religion on the ground to teach people from a very young age who and what to believe. It's a lot easier to start young kids off with you're a catholic/they're prods rather than teach the politics of forced migrations and rotten british landlords (which comes later).

NI is/was still seen by Nationalists as part of a catholic Ireland and they yearn for the catholics in the north to be under catholic/Irish rule - I think its that view rather than the land per se that is what matters. Similarly the loyalists have always made a big thing about the freedom to practice their religion which they would view as threatened by a United Ireland.

My view now is that with borders meaning less and less in a modern Europe, its the clinging on to the religion that drags it on. The first (painful) step for me would be to abolish sectarian schools.

Yeah but simple explanations like that ignore the use of the religion on the ground to teach people from a very young age who and what to believe. It's a lot easier to start young kids off with you're a catholic/they're prods rather than teach the politics of forced migrations and rotten british landlords (which comes later).

NI is/was still seen by Nationalists as part of a catholic Ireland and they yearn for the catholics in the north to be under catholic/Irish rule - I think its that view rather than the land per se that is what matters. Similarly the loyalists have always made a big thing about the freedom to practice their religion which they would view as threatened by a United Ireland.

My view now is that with borders meaning less and less in a modern Europe, its the clinging on to the religion that drags it on. The first (painful) step for me would be to abolish sectarian schools.

Stalin did it so :(.

Which sort of inadvertently backs up the assertion that religion wasn't really a major factor in most 20th Century wars and conflicts. Without checking I'd guess more more people killed on the first day of the Somme than in the whole of the Troubles.

Communism is like an extension of teenage rebellion. Especially if you're middle class. Fascism doesn't seem to have the same wide appeal for some reason. Trotsky is cooler than Stalin though. ;)

Aye, it absolutely is, the irony that's it's pretty much the same jackbooted fascism (with different PR) seems to be entirely lost on them. :icon_lol:

The bigger irony is 99% of them will be working for "the man" a couple of years later and by then will see nothing wrong with it. :(

I blame Hitler personally. :D

You dont know what real communism is do you?