Are we too good to go down?

Dr Gloom

We didn't deserve to win on Saturday. We murdered them first half but we got exactly what we deserved in the 2nd half.

While that's true I think a lot of that was down to how utterly shit they were, as opposed to how good we were. We were good, but seriously at half time I remember thinking these are one of the worst sides I've seen here in 15 years. So much so I took the toon to win the second half 3-0 at 28/1.

There's no way we're too good to go down, better teams than us have went down, maybe not bigger clubs since Man Utd, but Leeds had more talent at their disposal than us. Let's pray it doesn't come to that, but the bandwagon crying that Kinnear has done a wonderful job needs to pipe down as well. Two wins in eleven isn't good enough, and a lot of this praise he's receiving seems to be coming from himself! Harry Redknapp does the same thing. I know Guthrie went off, but I 110% blame him for Saturday no one on earth can convince me the he didn't tell them to be less attacking in the second half. It's Stoke at home for fuck sake with a midfield consisting of Amdy Faye. Joke. We can go down quite easily, people are saying Blackburn might go, but they've got canny players, I'd rather have Santa Cruz than any of our forwards.

Worst case scenario for us was Keane going because Sunderland aren't all that bad. They're poor but they've got 3 canny forwards in Diouff, Jones and Cisse (nowt special but can do a job). Richardson is alright and so is Malbranque, i.e. a new manager could get more out of that side than Keane was managing to get. Exactly the same applies to the Ince/Blackburn situation imo.

I think even if Ince stays they can get out of it, what I was banking on was Hull being dragged in to it, as well as Bolton and Fulham but all three are more than holding their own at the minute.

If we're in it with seven games left we can still do it, I think there could be four wins from these IF we sort it out.

Sat

Apr-11

Stoke City (a)

Sat

Apr-18

(18/19

FA SF)

Tottenham (a)

Sat

Apr-25

Portsmouth (h)

Sat

May-02

Liverpool (a)

Sat

May-09

Middlesbrough (h)

Sat

May-16

Fulham (h)

Sun

May-24

Aston Villa (a)

There is points to be had there but the big question mark if we are still in the mix for going down will be how low the players confidence is and if them and us the supporters have the stomach for the fight. It didnt take long for the moans and groans to start on Saturday...

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I not only think we will get relegated it is such a certainty in my mind that it is no longer worrying me. If we cant hold out against shit teams like Stoke we are fucked. And as long as JFK is manager we will just get shitter. The only good thing meaning we will be ripe for another take over as the drop should just about break Ashley and mean he has to sell us at a cut price rate.

I don't follow that logic at all. The only way for him to make anything back on his investment (if we do go down) is for Ashley to try and bring us back up.

He is losing lots of money due to credit crunch. He is completely inept at running a football club. If we go down he will see that he either has to a: Spend a lot of money to take us back up due to us losing all of our small squad. or b: sell for a cut price because he has no money left due to his disastrous playing of the financial markets and the drop in high street spending at his stores.

PM me if you still dont understand.

I gathered that would be your logic you condescending cunt. I know a lot of people think they're dead clever because they've got into university but at least most people get that out of their system at 18 instead of 40.

Ha ha!

Fuck me what a bite.

Nice one, if that's what you were looking for you got it. Doesn't make me wrong however.

Edited by alex

I not only think we will get relegated it is such a certainty in my mind that it is no longer worrying me. If we cant hold out against shit teams like Stoke we are fucked. And as long as JFK is manager we will just get shitter. The only good thing meaning we will be ripe for another take over as the drop should just about break Ashley and mean he has to sell us at a cut price rate.

I don't follow that logic at all. The only way for him to make anything back on his investment (if we do go down) is for Ashley to try and bring us back up.

He is losing lots of money due to credit crunch. He is completely inept at running a football club. If we go down he will see that he either has to a: Spend a lot of money to take us back up due to us losing all of our small squad. or b: sell for a cut price because he has no money left due to his disastrous playing of the financial markets and the drop in high street spending at his stores.

I gathered that would be your logic you condescending cunt. I know a lot of people think they're dead clever because they've got into university but at least most people get that out of their system at 18 instead of 40.

Ha ha!

Fuck me what a bite.

Nice one, if that's what you were looking for you got it. Doesn't make me wrong however.

I wasnt looking for that at all it is my opinion. If you had said you dont agree with my logic I would not have said anything back. However you said you dont follow my logic whcih made me think you were not understanding it. Just semantics but thats what caused the second of my posts.

Here's a few simple stats;

We are in 16th position, 2 above the drop.

We have lost fewer games than any other team in the bottom half (2 of those losses came during the turbulent rudderless period).

We have conceded fewer goals than 7 of the bottom half (Spurs, West Ham just less than us and they play tonight).

On top of that, during periods in recent games we have shown that we can play better football than those teams around us.

In a league this tight, I dont think many clubs can be considered too good to go down. Its far too early to say what will happen too.

Aye but I think the unbeaten / lack of defeats thing is a red herring as too many draws could take us down. We aren't doomed but we're either going to go down or narrowly avoid it imo.

We have lost fewer games than any other team in the bottom half (2 of those losses came during the turbulent rudderless period).

We have conceded fewer goals than 7 of the bottom half (Spurs, West Ham just less than us and they play tonight).

On top of that, during periods in recent games we have shown that we can play better football than those teams around us.

In a league this tight, I dont think many clubs can be considered too good to go down. Its far too early to say what will happen too.

Aye but I think the unbeaten / lack of defeats thing is a red herring as too many draws could take us down. We aren't doomed but we're either going to go down or narrowly avoid it imo.

Too early to say that too imo.

Scored more than 13 other teams too.

:drinks:

Another fact is that Kinnear has a record worse than Allardyce now though.

:birthday:

Alot of people like MA know that investments should be long term. Yes, some try to do a quick turn around for a fast buck. MA is trying to sell the club now for a profit. If we go down though, I dont see him dumping the club for a loss. Unless someone saw the potential and paid over the odds (which I dont see happening) then I think he would ride it out and try and get us back up. This would be done by trying to find the right manager (I dont think JFK would be kept) who would nurture the young kids to avoid having to spend big. Some of the good kids would be sold off to keep the books around level to make up for the drop in gates / tv / merchandise etc.

Scary stuff but very possible imo.

We were discussing that on the train on the way back to Jockland on Saturday night. If these results persist do you sack the interim manager? If it wasn't enought to keep the likes of Allardyce in a job do we have the confidence to let this fuckwit remain in charge?

The daft thing is, better options as manager would have been available if the club had known the interim manager would get the rest of the season rather than just a few weeks.

Too early to say that too imo.

The problem is we're in the :birthday: now (2 wins in 10 is not good no matter how you look at it), but worse we've got to get through January.

Now it's possible that things could go wonderfully, but it's much more likely it's going to leave us in a worse position still.

Even then, even if we survive this season, we could be left with a squad next season that might not be good enough to stay up in the Championship. :drinks:

Alot of people like MA know that investments should be long term. Yes, some try to do a quick turn around for a fast buck. MA is trying to sell the club now for a profit. If we go down though, I dont see him dumping the club for a loss. Unless someone saw the potential and paid over the odds (which I dont see happening) then I think he would ride it out and try and get us back up. This would be done by trying to find the right manager (I dont think JFK would be kept) who would nurture the young kids to avoid having to spend big. Some of the good kids would be sold off to keep the books around level to make up for the drop in gates / tv / merchandise etc.

I understand your point but I think he has been shocked at how crap he is at this business. His complete inability to see Dennis Wise as the fucking liability he is and that when trying to find a manager to replace Keegan all wise could do was call his old mate Joe Kinnear is a fucking joke. If we go down and he keeps control we are fucked. It will be like the 80's again when all we can do is play for middle table championship year in year out. Or best scenario be a yo yo team like the baggies. That would see our gates drop like a lead balloon. I think he will shit himself if he is still in charge at the start of next season and sees how few season tickets are sold. Like it or not people are sick of watching shit week in and week out and we wont fill 52,000 seats in the championship by a long way.

:icon_lol:

We were discussing that on the train on the way back to Jockland on Saturday night. If these results persist do you sack the interim manager? If it wasn't enought to keep the likes of Allardyce in a job do we have the confidence to let this fuckwit remain in charge?

I don't see how you can, no-one else will do it,

A few more figures for those making their predictions, this time last year we were 6 points better off (22) and 18th place were 2 points worse off (13). An 8 point difference. Following Keegans arrival and late resurgance we managed to avoid relegation by 7 points.

I still think we'll be fine.

I understand your point but I think he has been shocked at how crap he is at this business. His complete inability to see Dennis Wise as the fucking liability he is and that when trying to find a manager to replace Keegan all wise could do was call his old mate Joe Kinnear is a fucking joke. If we go down and he keeps control we are fucked. It will be like the 80's again when all we can do is play for middle table championship year in year out. Or best scenario be a yo yo team like the baggies. That would see our gates drop like a lead balloon. I think he will shit himself if he is still in charge at the start of next season and sees how few season tickets are sold. Like it or not people are sick of watching shit week in and week out and we wont fill 52,000 seats in the championship by a long way.

Im not sure he has. I reckon he is too stubborn to think he is crap and probably blames other influences. On Wise, how bad has he actually been? Im not sure what he has or hasnt done (factually) to know what influence he has had. I know we signed some canny players, and some shite, and not enough. Was this him? I know we tried to get El Tel before JFK but he wouldnt come due to the temp contract was this him or Lambias? I dont know. Also we dont know who else we tried? I do agree though, if we go down and he keeps control we're fucked. I also agree that the season tickets will be even worse next year. Staying up or not.

ALEX AGGRO ALEX AGGRO HELLO HELLO

Im not sure he has. I reckon he is too stubborn to think he is crap and probably blames other influences. On Wise, how bad has he actually been? Im not sure what he has or hasnt done (factually) to know what influence he has had. I know we signed some canny players, and some shite, and not enough. Was this him? I know we tried to get El Tel before JFK but he wouldnt come due to the temp contract was this him or Lambias? I dont know. Also we dont know who else we tried? I do agree though, if we go down and he keeps control we're fucked. I also agree that the season tickets will be even worse next year. Staying up or not.

When you take into account how tight we have been in regards to signing players + contracts this makes (if true) his supposed seven figure salary fucking madness...

When you take into account how tight we have been in regards to signing players + contracts this makes (if true) his supposed seven figure salary fucking madness...

If he was bringing in top quality for a pittance he'd be worth every penny. The fact that we'll end up paying more than £10M for Gutirez, like we did for Coloccini, and he blew £5M on Xisco makes his record piss poor when compared to Keegan spending £2.5M on Guthrie and Bassong.

Ashley is not going to spend to sell. It's going to be prayers and fingernails all the way lads.

At least at the end of this season we will actually be fighting for something. :razz:

If he was bringing in top quality for a pittance he'd be worth every penny. The fact that we'll end up paying more than £10M for Gutirez, like we did for Coloccini, and he blew £5M on Xisco makes his record piss poor when compared to Keegan spending £2.5M on Guthrie and Bassong.

:razz: Was that a joke? :(