Owen to delay decision until summer

Matty

57 appearances for Newcastle in 3 years whilst collecting £105k a week.

Howay man, it wasn't his fault that he broke his foot and that his career nearly ended with that cruciate injury.

I'm not suggesting it's any ones fault, I'm saying for a player of that wage we have yet to see great value for money, in 3 years we've seen arguably one seasons worth of football, and that is a factor you have to accept with Michael Owen.

What's the goals/games ratio?

25 in 57

A lot harder to argue with.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's quite simple to me what the situation is.. we qualify for Europe I reckon he'll stay. Fail to do so yet again and I think we can wave goodbye to him for absolutely nothing!

For someone of his calibre to have not played a single European game for us (i think i'm right in saying that) is absolutely shocking IMO and indicative of how the club has failed miserably to provide a team around him to get the best out of him.

If he goes, it's no-one's fault bar Ashley's. Keegan was screaming out for him to be offered a new contract last summer but big Mike was more concerned about ensuring KK didn't have a say in such matters that he probably ignored him out of spite. Fucking ridiculous amount of oversight and a display of a total lack of knowledge of running a football club IMO

This offer is more than a tad 'too little, too late'....

Hopefully Shearer will bombard Owen's phone from now until June and try and play the guilt-trip card.

On the contrary, Shearer must wonder why he fucking bothered... We seemed soooo desperate to keep him that we couldn't offer him a contract until now.

Hopefully Shearer will bombard Owen's phone from now until June and try and play the guilt-trip card.

On the contrary, Shearer must wonder why he fucking bothered... We seemed soooo desperate to keep him that we couldn't offer him a contract until now.

The latter of which I think worth repeating exposes another regime lie.

Personally I think he has no intention of staying, whether we qualify for Europe or not. He will want to play in the Champions League, recapture his England place, and win trophies, all of which rules us out frankly. Our club is run like a pub football team by comparison with a top club, so I don't blame him for being ambitious and wanting away. I wouldn't be surprised if he went abroad again, with the free transfer making it attractive to foreign clubs.

This 'let's leave for now, lads' is a stalling tactic essentially, designed to keep the press and fans off his back, whilst his management team get on with the business of lining up his next move. I think he'll stay till the end of the season, as he wants a free transfer anyway.

No-one in their right mind can blame him for not signing a new contract right now. Starting with the last two transfer windows and Kinnear's appointment, the club has shown no ambition to challenge for a European spot again, and a player of Owen's calibre won't want to spend the rest of his career at a mid-table club, which is fair enough. Let's just hope Ashley won't try to shift him in January.

Edited by Bombadil

Personally I think he has no intention of staying, whether we qualify for Europe or not. He will want to play in the Champions League, recapture his England place, and win trophies, all of which rules us out frankly. Our club is run like a pub football team by comparison with a top club, so I don't blame him for being ambitious and wanting away. I wouldn't be surprised if he went abroad again, with the free transfer making it attractive to foreign clubs.

This 'let's leave for now, lads' is a stalling tactic essentially, designed to keep the press and fans off his back, whilst his management team get on with the business of lining up his next move. I think he'll stay till the end of the season, as he wants a free transfer anyway.

Yeah I think he's off, almost no matter what.

I do think a decent contract offer (more than 12 months etc.) and Keegan might have got him to stay though.

I think Owen is being fair to be honest, he's goign to see out the contract he signed with us and help keep us up, then he's going to see where we are and also what other offers come in. And i don't blame him as this club is a complete mess at the moment and you never know what will happen next so why should he commit yet.

But had they just backed Keegan and kept the club stable, he'd have been happy and i think he'd have signed a decent contract offer back then if one was put forward.

I agree PL, I have absolutely no beef with Michael Owen - he's honouring his contract :lol:

My problem is with the shitty fucking tosspots in our board room. Surely it's standard procedure to cement a new contract with your better players the summer before expiration?

Cunts.

I agree PL, I have absolutely no beef with Michael Owen - he's honouring his contract :lol:

My problem is with the shitty fucking tosspots in our board room. Surely it's standard procedure to cement a new contract with your better players the summer before expiration?

Cunts.

Exactly, when the season ended last year with Keegan in charge and people positive about where we'd be going (wrongly as it turned out!) that was the time to act, but this is NUFC so of course that didnt happen!

hopefully the concerns around Owen will be eased with the news that ameobi will commit his longterm future to the toon. After setting up the Spurs goal so effortlessly I hope his agent doesn't turn his head with thoughts of a bigger team.

It's quite simple to me what the situation is.. we qualify for Europe I reckon he'll stay. Fail to do so yet again and I think we can wave goodbye to him for absolutely nothing!

For someone of his calibre to have not played a single European game for us (i think i'm right in saying that) is absolutely shocking IMO and indicative of how the club has failed miserably to provide a team around him to get the best out of him.

If he goes, it's no-one's fault bar Ashley's. Keegan was screaming out for him to be offered a new contract last summer but big Mike was more concerned about ensuring KK didn't have a say in such matters that he probably ignored him out of spite. Fucking ridiculous amount of oversight and a display of a total lack of knowledge of running a football club IMO

This offer is more than a tad 'too little, too late'....

He was in talks with us over a new contract when Keegan was here, he's even said so himself.

The only reason it stalled was because all of the Keegan sausage munchers decided to kick up a fuss and demand Ashley sell the club, he then put the club up for sale and distanced himself from us, with Jimenez leaving too over it all kicking off contract talks broke down.

Not that I think he's ever had any intention of signing anyway and he seems happy to let his contract run down here like he tried to do at Liverpool.

Had fuck all to do with him being offered only 12 months as well.

It's called negotiating, Lampard wouldn't sign a deal with Chelsea to start with because he wanted a longer one and after his agent sat down with the club a few times he got one.

It's called negotiating, Lampard wouldn't sign a deal with Chelsea to start with because he wanted a longer one and after his agent sat down with the club a few times he got one.

I'd call it a derisory offer. Especially when they were telling the fans it was a new and improved deal. I appreciate you'll take the polar opposite view though.

I'd call it a derisory offer. Especially when they were telling the fans it was a new and improved deal. I appreciate you'll take the polar opposite view though.

Of course you would think it was shit, the club can't do anything right in your eyes since your hero Keegan hoyed his toys out of the pram and fucked off back to his circus.

They were in negotiations, they broke down over the 'hysteria' around the club (Owen's words) because Ashley put the club up for sale, which is what you wanted, no point in crying about it now because it didn't work out the way you thought it would when you were clapping the 'cockney mafia out' banner that was going around.

Of course you would think it was shit, the club can't do anything right in your eyes since your hero Keegan hoyed his toys out of the pram and fucked off back to his circus.

They were in negotiations, they broke down over the 'hysteria' around the club (Owen's words) because Ashley put the club up for sale, which is what you wanted, no point in crying about it now because it didn't work out the way you thought it would when you were clapping the 'cockney mafia out' banner that was going around.

Like you just did? :lol:

Like you just did? :lol:

Not quite.

I think we all agree that the PR of the club since Ashley came has been poor. In that context they made a major break when they announced the contract offer in August. We have now found that it was being charitable not as generous as they made out. If it was opening shot in a negotiation as you imply Baggio why did the make such a big deal out of it?

I think we all agree that the PR of the club since Ashley came has been poor. In that context they made a major break when they announced the contract offer in August. We have now found that it was being charitable not as generous as they made out. If it was opening shot in a negotiation as you imply Baggio why did the make such a big deal out of it?

Because they wanted some good PR to appease the fans as the window was about to close. IMO, of course.

Because the press were reporting that we wouldn't give him a contract and were trying to sell him?

To which we made it clear that in fact we were in negotiations with him over a new contract and didn't want to lose him, which Owen has since confirmed.