Barry Ferguson on Kinnear's wishlist

Sonatine

would defo take ferguson, great experience good passer of the ball. He is a winner which is the character we need, winning 13 medals in his career and captaining Rangers to the last 16 in the champions leauge and the UEFA cup final.

The comments from the newcastle fans are similar to that of the Scotland fans. However, with his recent absence from the last few games they have been made to eat humble pie. Has still got a few years left in him!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JOE Kinnear could be on the verge of making his first signing as Newcastle United manager after Glasgow Rangers slashed their asking price for midfielder Barry Ferguson to just £3m.

Although Kinnear appeared to distance himself this week from earlier claims that he wanted to sign the Scotland international, the pressing need for players, coupled with the prospect of a cut-price deal, may be enough to push the transfer through.

The Magpies are desperate for new players in virtually every position, but the centre of midfield is an area of particular concern for Kinnear.

With Nicky Butt suspended, Joey Barton and Alan Smith injured and Danny Guthrie struggling with flu, Newcastle’s engine room could be severely weakened against West Ham United this weekend.

Although the 30-year-old Ferguson does not fit the club’s transfer strategy of only signing young players who will still have a re-sale value when they move on from St James’s Park, needs must.

The skipper of the Scottish national side has played more than 300 league games for Rangers and Blackburn Rovers, as well as 44 games for his country, and his experience would be a useful asset for the Magpies in their present predicament.

Although Kinnear has guided Newcastle out of the bottom three they are just two points and four places above the relegation places and desperately need to beat West Ham at the weekend if they are going to keep themselves out of trouble.

Ferguson has come in for criticism in Scotland this season following his return from injury, but he would still be a useful addition to a United squad which has

been stretched virtually every week this season following the failure to sign the required number of players last summer.

Fears over the threadbare nature of the squad, along with a lack of control over the club’s transfer policy, were the chief reasons for former manager Kevin Keegan’s sudden departure back in September.

It is a problem which has still not been properly addressed, with Kinnear worried the limited transfer budget which has been released to him by owner Mike Ashley will mean he finds it virtually impossible to persuade clubs to part with players midway through the campaign.

Ferguson, though, could be different. Rangers are in dire financial straits following their elimination from European competition and their captain is one of the top earners in Scottish football on £40,000-a-week.

Meanwhile, Shola Ameobi intends to repay Kinnear for his faith in him after the striker signed a new three-year contract just seven months after the collapse of a proposed move to Ipswich Town because of a failed medical.

Ameobi became the first of the four United players who are out of contract at the end of the season to sign an extension yesterday, although Nicky Butt, Steve Harper and Michael Owen have still not confirmed their intention to remain at the club.

It is a stunning turnaround for Ameobi who was desperate to leave Newcastle last summer after growing frustrated by the lack of first-team football on offer under former managers Sam Allardyce and Kevin Keegan.

“Getting fit and playing games is all I wanted to do,” said Ameobi, who at 27 knows he should be a first-team regular. “It had been a while since I was able to do that, but it’s testament to the physios and medical staff for the work they’ve done for me.

“Also the manager Joe Kinnear came in and put a lot of faith in me. I hadn’t played for a while and had to prove myself again. Thankfully, I believe I did that.

"Now I can look forward to playing a lot more games for Newcastle, which didn’t look likely a few months ago. And now my future is in order I can focus on getting it right on the pitch.

“In the summer my future was up in the air. I didn’t know if I was going to be here or not. So I am delighted to be able to sign a contract.

“It’s my home-town club and I’m happy to be able to look forward to the future with Newcastle United.

“I am confident I can do it, and the club are also in the fact they have shown faith with the contract. Now it’s down to me to prove that.”

The agent of Rangers midfielder Barry Ferguson claims he did receive instruction to find a new club for his player, amid accusations of trying to unsettle the club's captain.

Ferguson has been linked with an Ibrox exit in the January transfer window, with cash-strapped Rangers thought to be ready to offload some of their bigger earners.

However, Gers chairman David Murray has not been happy with agent Willie McKay's apparent bid to find a new club for Ferguson, with talk of interest from Newcastle abound.

McKay has hit back by insisting he was given a mandate by the club's chief executive Martin Bain to test the market with regards Ferguson's possible sale.

"I realise this is a sensitive issue but I'm not going to be made the scapegoat here. Martin Bain asked me to find possible buyers for Barry Ferguson and a number of other players," McKay told the Daily Record.

"Martin was simply doing his job, a job he's very good at. It's the kind of thing that goes on at every club in Britain at this time of year. It only came about because I phoned him to discuss the situation with one of the young players there, Jordan McMillan.

"When we'd finished talking about that he asked me to see what I could do about finding clubs for Barry and a few others.

"Had I not made the call about Jordan we'd probably never have talked about anything else. But I will not be the only agent who has had this discussion with Rangers. I know for a fact that I'm not."

On the contrary to McKay's claim, Bain insists he did not ask the agent to find a buyer for specific players but rather report back on the market as a whole.

"It is categorically untrue that I asked Willie McKay to find a specific player."

Middlesbrough are the latest club to be linked with Ferguson in Monday's press

And Stevie going by this it looks like you were right, dunno when he changed from John Viola though...

And Stevie going by this it looks like you were right, dunno when he changed from John Viola though...

Could be that McKay was acting on behalf of the club rather than the player, though why any club continues to employ him is beyond me.

Could be that McKay was acting on behalf of the club rather than the player, though why any club continues to employ him is beyond me.

He manage to sell Faye. Anyone that can do that must be good tbh.

• 3 weeks later...

Right I am not for one minute saying I wanted Ferguson.

But if the dozy old bastard wanted him, yet we failed in our attempts for midfielders today and both money and Ferguson himself was available why did they not go in for him when the first choice targets did not work out?

They are all a bunch of fucking liars...

It's bizarre to see how they conducted the whole transfer dealings. They started talking about the investment into the team and to strengthen it early in December. Then all the hopes have to rely on some late signings on the last day of the window.

It's not that they had to spend huge amounts. Schalke sold in Fabian Ernst a very reliable midfielder for just 4m Euro yesterday. That's about the fees you have to pay to get players of decent quality from Europe that would definitely have added strength to the squad.

Numpties, the lot of them.