Walter Smith criticises Kinnear

peasepud

WALTER Smith believes Newcastle United manager Joe Kinnear may be guilty of trying to appease his own supporters by publicly declaring an interest in signing Rangers captain Barry Ferguson.

Kinnear claimed at the weekend he had made an initial enquiry for Ferguson, identifying the Scotland midfielder as the kind of January recruit Newcastle require in their fight against relegation from the Premier League.

Smith, however, has insisted Rangers have received no contact from Newcastle for the player and expressed his bewilderment at Kinnear's comments.

"It is strange, I must say, especially when he (Kinnear] has been quoted as saying he has been in contact with Rangers," said Smith after his team's 3-0 win at Inverness Caledonian Thistle yesterday.

"As far as my chairman (David Murray], chief executive (Martin Bain] and myself are concerned, there has been no contact from Newcastle or any other club. I can appreciate a manager being interested in the player, but whether this has been done to pacify his own support, I don't know. If his comments are accurate, I just don't know how he can say he has contacted Rangers when that is not the case."

Ferguson, 30, had a previous spell in the English Premier League when he joined Blackburn Rovers for £7.5 million in August 2003. He returned to Rangers in January 2005, however, and has consistently said he regretted leaving the club he supported as a boy in the first place. It is understood Ferguson, under contract until 2010, has no interest in leaving Rangers for a second time, even if the Ibrox club are in a financial situation where they are obliged to consider any serious bids for their players.

"The players we are looking to move on are the ones who are currently outside the first team group," added Smith. "Jean-Claude Darcheville was the first of those when he moved to Valenciennes and there are a number of others. But at the moment the only offer we have had for any player is from Wolves for Alan Gow. Yet all the speculation I keep reading is about players who are actually in the first team at the moment.

"I can have no influence on who wants to bid for any of our players. What football manager can say that if someone comes in with a bid for one of their players they won't consider it? You have to. We had that situation with Alan Hutton last season. If someone comes in, then we will give them an answer."

http://sport.scotsman.com/sport/Smith-crit...stle.4842236.jp

I am sick of being treat like a muppet by this lot, why come out and say we've enquired about a player when we clearly havent? Just shut your fucking mouth Kinnear and get on with the job of keeping this club alive. Let Dennis make statements about what hes doing with this player and that, hes the one deciding let him open his mouth once in a while. :(

I'm starting to think that JFK is either an idiot thinking we're a bunch of mugs, or MA/DL think that and are telling JFK what to say in which case he's still an idiot.

I'm starting to think that JFK is either an idiot thinking we're a bunch of mugs, or MA/DL think that and are telling JFK what to say in which case he's still an idiot.

If this was a multiple choice question you'd find the answer is:

D. All of the above.

Its either the greatest smoke screen ever or a level of buffoonery never witnessed before - i think we all have our suspicions as to which one it is - i just can't see the point in linking us with a shite player who nobody wants anyway in an effort to appease the fans - randomly talking bollocks does not instill confidence joe

Seems that way.

All of this sh*t wouldn't seem so bad if this make believe scenario that Kinnear or/and Ashley dreamt up, focused on a player that was even half decent. Fact is, Ferguson is a crock of sh*t, a total crock of fcking sh*t. Surely it would be better to make up a load of bollocks about us enquiring about Ronaldo's availability or even George Riley or Frank Pingel for that matter......Fcking clowns.

I'd sooner believe Kinnear on this than Smith. Football clubs always come out with this 'we haven't had any contact with x, over y, etc etc'

The 'enquiry' JFK talks about could well just be his telephoning Ferguson's agent - nothing more. Which leads me to think that this is all a smokescreen to take attention away from the real dealings. One thing we can say in the current regime's favour is that the most of the transfers have come out as a surprise to one and all. It's probably Kaka (just watch AC Milan say they haven't had any contact from NUFC !!!!!1111 :( )

could it be the case that JK has told wise of his targets and wise has lied to JK saying that he has put in bids for them etc and then just said to jk it has not been possible to get them for whatever reason. Wise will then go for the players he has identified making JK seems like a fud....maybe too much of a conspiracy theory.

Edited by super_jonas

It's like Alice in Wonderland logging on here these days....Chasing rabbits all over the shop... :)

So that's Viduka's and Owen's problem.

One pill makes you larger

And one pill makes you small

And the ones that Ashley gives you

Don't do anything at all!

Go ask Joe

His story's ten feet tall. :(

It's like Alice in Wonderland logging on here these days....Chasing rabbits all over the shop... :)

So that's Viduka's and Owen's problem.

One pill makes you larger

And one pill makes you small

And the ones that Ashley gives you

Don't do anything at all!

Go ask Joe

His story's ten feet tall. :(

:) :)

If you think back to previous signings such as Jonas and Guthrie, nobody really had a clue in the press.

Now it seems simply nobody at all has a clue :(

Just wondering but has anything Kinnear ever said regarding the administration side of the club ever been true? We need a "Joe lies" thread to go with the Mike lies one.

You mean Shearer and KK aren't taking over as joint-managers? You're spot on though, there have been some absolute whoppers from JFK, although he's obviously singing from Ashley's hymn sheet anyway.