Why losing the next two isnt the end of the world

peasepud

Before you read this, you have to remember I dont WANT us to lose the next league game, its not in the nature, not part of our setup as fans but if we do then heres why I wont be too upset.

We now have 22 days left of the transfer window and are sitting in what (when you say it without looking at the table) appears to be a healthy enough 11th place in the league. To the uninitiated, the niaive and frankly the stupid it looks ok. Ashley and Lambriani are all of the above.

Breaking the next two games down we have a cup replay that we can ill afford to be playing, a replay against a team of sloggers who are having the kind of season they could only have dreamt of beforehand. Any honest Hull fan would have expected their team to be rock bottom now not 8th, they will be up for it having already taken 3 points off us so far. There is no way on this earth that we can win the FA cup this year, no chance at all. Any further progression therefore is both a distraction and additional chances to injure an already decimated squad. Put out the kids by all means and let them get a feel for the big stage but dont risk Premiership survival chasing an already lost dream.

Next Saturday then we have Blackburn away, what on paper is another "must win" game, for me its not, this is where we speculate to accumulate. Ashley needs a kick up the arse and us sitting in the top half of the table will not do that. If on paper we look good then I dont think we have any chance of him investing. Have us down the bottom and maybe, just maybe he'll get the wake up call we need.

This time next week we could be 2 points off bottom but with 15 days left to rescue it, get three points next week and then beat off Man City and the Makems and we could be in that very same position with no time to react.

I only half heartedly celebrated the equaliser yesterday. I said to my mates the (not particularly good) results are hiding a multitude of sins, and Ashley needs to feel a bit more heat.

Not saying I want bad results? When we went ahead I was all over the shop, optimistic of a good performance, but it never happened and we were lucky to get anything from it. Tried a few anti-Ashley chants and still no-one's joining in. It surprises me.

They must have decided to spend or not spend long ago though?

I believe you're right and I guess its the "not spend" route but maybe, just maybe theres the glimmer that they'll get a kick up the arse and reality will hit home before its too late.

I know exactly where Ants coming from and agree but at the same time, if we get to the Semi's then Id want us to win it. It would however leave a sour taste in the mouth that through sheer luck we fluked it and Ashley, Wise n Kinnear did something the likes of KK and Robson with Shepherd and all those before didnt.

Plus the mongs would never shut the fuck up. :icon_lol:

Before you read this, you have to remember I dont WANT us to lose the next league game, its not in the nature, not part of our setup as fans but if we do then heres why I wont be too upset.

We now have 22 days left of the transfer window and are sitting in what (when you say it without looking at the table) appears to be a healthy enough 11th place in the league. To the uninitiated, the niaive and frankly the stupid it looks ok. Ashley and Lambriani are all of the above.

Breaking the next two games down we have a cup replay that we can ill afford to be playing, a replay against a team of sloggers who are having the kind of season they could only have dreamt of beforehand. Any honest Hull fan would have expected their team to be rock bottom now not 8th, they will be up for it having already taken 3 points off us so far. There is no way on this earth that we can win the FA cup this year, no chance at all. Any further progression therefore is both a distraction and additional chances to injure an already decimated squad. Put out the kids by all means and let them get a feel for the big stage but dont risk Premiership survival chasing an already lost dream.

Next Saturday then we have Blackburn away, what on paper is another "must win" game, for me its not, this is where we speculate to accumulate. Ashley needs a kick up the arse and us sitting in the top half of the table will not do that. If on paper we look good then I dont think we have any chance of him investing. Have us down the bottom and maybe, just maybe he'll get the wake up call we need.

This time next week we could be 2 points off bottom but with 15 days left to rescue it, get three points next week and then beat off Man City and the Makems and we could be in that very same position with no time to react.

sad reading, the thought that they need such a kick up the arse rather than the genuine ambition to do well. But true.

Were you in the Irish club yesterday PP after the game ie at the NUSC meeting ? I looked for you - as per your old photo and how I recognised you in that pub that other time

I know exactly where Ants coming from and agree but at the same time, if we get to the Semi's then Id want us to win it. It would however leave a sour taste in the mouth that through sheer luck we fluked it and Ashley, Wise n Kinnear did something the likes of KK and Robson with Shepherd and all those before didnt.

Plus the mongs would never shut the fuck up. :icon_lol:

also true. The people who ran the club before - and Keegan or Bobby Robson but preferably Keegan - are the ones who have deserved the acclaim for the day it happens, but its not going to happen now.

I badly want to see us win a trophy at Wembley having seen 4 Cup Final defeats too, I don't want it to happen when I'm too old to go anymore. Seeing us win the Fairs Cup was great but I was only 14, didn't really appreciate it at that age, obviously couldn't go to Budapest and never thought that 40 years later I'd be waiting to see another cup.

I agree with Pud to some extent, MA needs a reality check for sure. Though like a few others have said i really t want our boys to lose anygames, further jeopordising our PL survival. As for MA, DW and JFK winning a cup....who cares? I'd love us to win something even if it ment peter fuckin reid being in charge man. It wouldput us into europe wouldnt it?

Also itwould make us a more saleable asset too.

Something has to happen, but what, i dont know.

I agree that losing against hull wouldn't be the end of the world (I'm not bothered about the cup this year, I can't even remember who we'd play in the next round) And it would be an excellent opportunity to have a look at some of the fringe players against prem opposition.

But we need to take as many points as pos in the league at this stage, particularly against a fellow struggler like blackburn (more so now Fat Sam is there).

You know how far you have fallen when youre fans arent bothered about you going out of the cup in the 3rd round against last seasons championship side. The only chance we ever have of winning anything is in the 2 cups. So I would be very bothered if we cant manage to beat Hull at home.

Yes we are playing shit but the players are still being paid £50-60-70k pw, three times as much as the Hull players and I expect us to be in the 4th round!

You know how far you have fallen when youre fans arent bothered about you going out of the cup in the 3rd round against last seasons championship side. The only chance we ever have of winning anything is in the 2 cups. So I would be very bothered if we cant manage to beat Hull at home.

Yes we are playing shit but the players are still being paid £50-60-70k pw, three times as much as the Hull players and I expect us to be in the 4th round!

nail on the head.

And if Owen gets crocked? Jonas catches flu through a cold January night game? one of Andy C's hair braids falls out?

Is that worth us getting to the 5th round to then be humiliated by whoever?

You didnt honestly just say we shouldnt win a game in the cup in case someone gets injured? If thats the case we may as well give up now

What Im saying is that we have to get our priorities right, we have a piss weak squad crippled by injury, we cannot afford any more. We have zero chance of winning the FA Cup this year therefore let that go to keep us more focussed on the league.

You work in the NHS, I know its not A&E but you'll understand the analogy. You have one doctor and two patients, an assessment on both shows that one has zero chance of survival while the other is 50/50 you make the one with zero chance comfortable and devote the doctors time to the one with the chance.

Terrible analogy I know but its true, we couldnt win the toss these days so an FA cup is just a pipe dream therefore we dont need the distraction and additional games that will bring.

Pompey won it last year, and we earned credible draws against Chelsea and Man U already should we draw them in the cup. Its not like we are playing in Europe or going to Japan for tournaments. Im sure we can manage an extra game every 4-6 weeks in the cup.