Humanity is going to the dogs

Kid Dynamite

A police negotiator told a Derby inquest how he tried to talk a teenager down from a car park roof while onlookers goaded him to jump.

Shaun Dykes, 17, from Kilburn, Derbyshire, died in a fall from the sixth-floor roof of the Westfield shopping centre in September 2008.

Assistant deputy coroner Louise Pinder recorded a verdict of suicide.

Det Insp Barry Thacker said people yelled "jump" and "get on with it" as he tried to talk Shaun down.

He said the shouts from the crowd distracted Shaun and him on a number of occasions.

Mr Thacker said as he approached Shaun, who was sitting on a ledge overlooking London Road, the teenager told him: "You can talk to me, but you won't change my mind."

At one point the negotiator stretched his arms out to Shaun to try to persuade him to come away from the ledge to talk things over.

But as Shaun bent down to take his hand, a voice from the crowd shouted: "You're wasting taxpayers' money," the inquest was told.

The teenager then pulled back from the officer, saying: "No, it's gone too far." A short time later he jumped, Mr Thacker said.

Asked by Ms Pinder whether he thought the abuse contributed to Shaun's decision to jump, Mr Thacker said: "It certainly made negotiations more difficult.

"I knew Shaun for almost two hours. Shaun came over to me as very likeable and having a good future."

The inquest heard that on the day Shaun died he was seen in a distressed state.

After writing a series of letters, he took a bus to Derby. His mother found the letters and rang her son, pleading with him to come home.

The individuals who were taunting Shaun at that time, whose identities remain unknown, are responsible, at least in part, for his death

Assistant deputy coroner Louise Pinder

But she heard nothing until she was contacted by police informing her that Shaun had killed himself.

Police Divisional Commander Andy Hough told the inquest: "The city lost its humanity for a period of time that day."

Earlier Shaun's mother Tina told the hearing her son felt under pressure because his GCSEs were approaching.

He had suffered from depression and had split from his partner five days before he killed himself.

After recording the verdict Ms Pinder attacked the teenager's tormentors.

"I am quite sure police officers were taken by surprise by the despicable people taunting Shaun," she said.

"It's inconceivable that, whilst negotiators were talking with Shaun, these mindless people were behaving with such insensitivity and without any apparent concern for a human being's safety."

Disabled charities have condemned the sentences of three men who raped a girl and left her permanently disfigured by throwing caustic soda over her.

The 16-year-old girl, who has a mental age of eight, was badly disfigured in the attack at a flat in Seven Sisters, north London, in January 2008.

The three men, who laughed as they filmed the rape, were sentenced to jail terms of six years and nine years.

Campaigners said the sentences sent out "the wrong message".

The girl was in a coma following the attack and has been left with burns to more than 50% of her body.

Richard Curen, chief executive of Respond, said: "This was a horrific and cowardly attack that scarred and traumatised this young woman both physically and mentally.

"These sentences are another injury and I fear it will take even longer for her to recover." These sentences don't come close to reflecting the brutality and horror of this attack

Kathryn Stone OBE, Voice UK

One of the men, Rogel McMorris, 18, from Seven Sisters, was jailed for nine years for two counts of rape and grievous bodily harm at Wood Green Crown Court on Monday.

Co-defendants Jason Brew, 19, from Tottenham, north London, and Hector Muaimba, 20, from Walthamstow, east London, were jailed for six years each for the rape. Muaimba was given a further two-year term for a separate robbery.

Passing sentence, Judge Shaun Lyons said: "The most severe injuries and consequences came from the caustic soda.

"The victim has been left with severe post traumatic stress disorder and many, many physical difficulties."

The court heard that the girl is also undergoing counselling following the attack.

"These sentences don't come close to reflecting the brutality and horror of this attack," said chief executive of Voice UK, Kathryn Stone OBE.

"They send completely the wrong message to society."

Facing hurdles

Deborah Kitson, director of The Ann Craft Trust, said victims with learning difficulties often faced "hurdles" in getting justice.

"Most people don't realise that people with learning disabilities are more likely to be victims of rape," she said.

"They can also face lots of hurdles in getting justice and fear not being believed if they come forward. Sentences such as this can damage people's confidence in the courts."

Seven other men had been originally charged over the attack.

Bradley Daley Smith, 22, and Miguel Almeida, 22, both of Edmonton, north London, and Bruno Abrantes, 24, from Tottenham, were all acquitted of grievous bodily harm.

Charges against three others were dropped while Steven Bigby, 22, of Upper Edmonton, was stabbed to death in Oxford Street while he was on bail.

Its not like he was some low life mentalist who did this thing for attention every week. He was a normal 17 year old lad who had been through a rough time.

As for the 2nd story, gang raping a girl with Learning Disabilities and then throwing acid on her, scarring her for life. . . . 6 years, out in 3. What the fuck man?

It's ok, renowned thinker and philosopher, the glamour model Jordan, has come up with a scheme to help those that suffer sexual violence, after reading her proposal, perhaps she should be given the task to mend our broken society.......

GLAMOUR girl JORDAN has called for a new punishment for rapists – they should be raped themselves.

The tough-talking star – who also agrees with the death penalty – said: “The way I see it is an eye for an eye.

“So if someone rapes a girl he should be bent over and the same thing done to him. I’m sorry that’s just the way I feel. I’m very strict.”

Jordan, real name KATIE PRICE, added: “If someone is done for drink-driving they should have their licence taken away for life.

“And if someone steals they should have to wear a dye on their skin, like a tattoo on their ear or somewhere it can be seen – like across their face! That would stop people stealing.”

The 30-year-old model – who is moving to the US with husband PETER ANDRE – also voiced support for gay marriages.

Well there's always been something about a public execution, never seen the attraction myself.

If that had been your sister you'd probably be at the front of the queue.

I think it's <_< 'd you.

The goading to suicide; people have to a large degree always been like that, disgusting as it is (people are scum, generally, and especially in mobs). Otherwise public executions would never have been what they were (and still are in some places).

Capital punishment itself (where I assume you're referring to the 2nd bit) is a different kettle of fish though, and whilst there's a strong argument for a civilised society to never execute anyone, personally I don't have much against it other than it's impossible to bring back someone that has been executed that has been wrongly convicted (false convictions are bad enough when it's "just" a prison sentence - and no Fop has never been falsely imprisoned, manc-foplite).

As for the 2nd story, gang raping a girl with Learning Disabilities and then throwing acid on her, scarring her for life. . . . 6 years, out in 3. What the fuck man?

Heard about the second story and the sentences (9 and 6 years iirc) would be lenient (imo) if they actually served that time, but they probably won't.

It seems she was being interviewed on the subject of crime in general, or at least I get that impression looking at the way she jumps topic.

A lot of people have little or no understanding of how a crime should be punished so they simply go for the worst punishment they can half the time.

It seems she was being interviewed on the subject of crime in general, or at least I get that impression looking at the way she jumps topic.

A lot of people have little or no understanding of how a crime should be punished so they simply go for the worst punishment they can half the time.

Didnt know you were a magistrate tom ;)

Didnt know you were a magistrate tom ;)

Most magistrates would fit that criteria tbh.

It has swung too far the other way, though.

Not having enough prison places is not justification for daftly lenient sentences, yet it's one of the main factors in British "Justice".

It's ok, renowned thinker and philosopher, the glamour model Jordan, has come up with a scheme to help those that suffer sexual violence, after reading her proposal, perhaps she should be given the task to mend our broken society.......

GLAMOUR girl JORDAN has called for a new punishment for rapists – they should be raped themselves.

The tough-talking star – who also agrees with the death penalty – said: “The way I see it is an eye for an eye.

“So if someone rapes a girl he should be bent over and the same thing done to him. I’m sorry that’s just the way I feel. I’m very strict.”

Jordan, real name KATIE PRICE, added: “If someone is done for drink-driving they should have their licence taken away for life.

“And if someone steals they should have to wear a dye on their skin, like a tattoo on their ear or somewhere it can be seen – like across their face! That would stop people stealing.”

The 30-year-old model – who is moving to the US with husband PETER ANDRE – also voiced support for gay marriages.

Boy George could do the bumming. He'd be like the pierrepoint of buggery

The BBC has expressed regret over jokes by DJ Chris Moyles about Auschwitz concentration camp and gay singer Will Young.

BBC 'regrets' Moyles Auschwitz joke The 34-year-old DJ told listeners on his breakfast show that he had gone to film in Ireland as part of research into his family history for the BBC1 series Who Do You Think You Are?.

He said: "Unlike a lot of the Who Do You Think You Are? shows I didn't go to Auschwitz ... pretty much everybody goes there, whether or not they're Jewish... they always kind of end up there, you know, if they just pass through on their way to Florida or something."

He also joked about Young, celebrating the singer's birthday by singing to the tune of his song Evergreen in a camp voice. He warbled: "It's my birthday, gonna wear my new dress tonight."

Auschwitz-Birkenau, in Poland, was the largest Nazi concentration camp, and more than a million people died there, around 90% were Jewish.

Moyles' remarks on Tuesday came as the national commemoration for Holocaust Memorial Day is due to take place in Coventry on Sunday.

A spokeswoman for the BBC said no complaints had been received about the Auschwitz joke but there had been five complaints about the joke cracked at Young's expense.

She said: "Anyone who listens to the Chris Moyles Show will know he has an irreverent style.

"However, we regret that on this occasion his comments were misjudged and we are speaking to Chris and his team about them."

Holocaust jokes are fine so long as you don't take the piss out of Will Young because he's gay.

34 fucking stone. The taxi driver on Monday morning asked me if I minded him having the radio on, so I said 'no'. I was delighted when he stuck Moyles on like.

I 'regret' the fact of Chris Moyles full stop.

Can't believe the fat cunt is only 34 either.

He'll be dead before he's fifty.

A bit harsh on manc-foplite, but you could be right.

This is the lass who has a video of her being porked on the net and gets her tits out for a living

See man, and that's just it.

(This sort of goes along with the other thread about the parent not liking her kid's assigned story so she complained it went against her atheist views).

There's been this corner turned within the last 20 years or so where all of a sudden we have to listen to everyone's dopey opinion on things- no matter how irrelevant, misinformed, or flat out ridiculous.

So, Jordan, as Kid Dynamite has so aptly pointed out, who is a pop-star, has opinions on crime and punishment? Shut the fuck up.

So you're a parent who doesn't have their own beliefs worked out but feels totally comfortable complaining to the school system who at least ostensibly, selects material for student consumption professionally? Shut the fuck up.

The truth is some people do know more about the topic at hand than you do and if you're an ignorant fool you should shut your mouth and start listening then maybe next time around you can join in.

Christ almighty... Jordan thinks we should rape rapists. Brilliant! She should tour the States more- she sounds like every fucking retard around here that fails to even consider a retribution vs. deterrent type of argument when it comes to crime and punishment. Let's just get Old Testament on the whole thing and burn everyone! BLOOD!

This is the lass who has a video of her being porked on the net and gets her tits out for a living

See man, and that's just it.

(This sort of goes along with the other thread about the parent not liking her kid's assigned story so she complained it went against her atheist views).

There's been this corner turned within the last 20 years or so where all of a sudden we have to listen to everyone's dopey opinion on things- no matter how irrelevant, misinformed, or flat out ridiculous.

So, Jordan, as Kid Dynamite has so aptly pointed out, who is a pop-star, has opinions on crime and punishment? Shut the fuck up.

So you're a parent who doesn't have their own beliefs worked out but feels totally comfortable complaining to the school system who at least ostensibly, selects material for student consumption professionally? Shut the fuck up.

The truth is some people do know more about the topic at hand than you do and if you're an ignorant fool you should shut your mouth and start listening then maybe next time around you can join in.

Christ almighty... Jordan thinks we should rape rapists. Brilliant! She should tour the States more- she sounds like every fucking retard around here that fails to even consider a retribution vs. deterrent type of argument when it comes to crime and punishment. Let's just get Old Testament on the whole thing and burn everyone! BLOOD!

Everyone's entitled to their opinion. The problem is those who give them a platform to air their views. Like the idiot who thought these comments merited publication in any format whatsoever. Like the Guardian giving Russell Brand a football column - I don't mind Brand particularly but his football column is mostly gibberish.

I got his book 'Articles of Faith' (compilation of said columns) for Christmas incidentally. One can only imagine my delight. ;)