Ashley ups his spending at Newcastle

Jimbo

Mike Ashley has spent another £10million on running costs at Newcastle United on top of the £248million he has already invested. The club's billionaire owner provided the funds, in the form of a loan, for Kevin Nolan's £4.5million transfer from Bolton Wanderers last month and Real Mallorca, who have been in dispute with Newcastle, will this week receive about £4million in compensation for Jonas Gutierrez.

While the club made a profit of £8million during the transfer window, Ashley has insisted that all incoming signings are paid for up front. The norm in football is for clubs to make and receive staged payments for players, but Newcastle's accounting methods ensure that they effectively own their assets in their entirety. Aside from making the club more attractive to potential buyers, the benefits are not immediately apparent.

Newcastle sold Charles N'Zogbia to Wigan Athletic for £6million and will receive £5.9million from Manchester City for Shay Given, but it is understood that the first instalment for the Ireland goalkeeper will not be received until this summer. That would explain why Ashley has now increased his interest-free loan, which previously encompassed the £138million he spent on buying the club and £110million on reducing debt.

The hierarchy on Tyneside hope to reduce future expenditure by investing in youth and Derek Llambias, the managing director, has revealed that £5million has been spent on Academy playing staff. Newcastle hope to establish a youth academy in France and are extending their scouting network to Brazil and Scandinavia.

They have some persuading to do, but Llambias believes the club's new strategy can return them to the top four positions in the Barclays Premier League. “Why not?” he said. “We want to be solid competitors at the top. That's the way we're going. We aim to be knocking on the door again.

“When we took over we had repair work to do and holes to fill. That has been huge step. We didn't think the club had any foundation, there was a poor Academy and we are now building for the future. We're not neglecting the club.”

So we effectively gave Given away for nowt in the short term? We could've really done with that extra £6 million in January.

Doesnt make sense unless its accounting wizardry getting the money to come in in a different financial year.

It makes perfect sense. Football operates on a 'buy now, pay in instalments later' model. Unless you're NUFC which pays for everything upfront. It means that all our purchases have to be funded upfront, whereas none of our competitors do. Apparently this is a good thing, for reasons no-one can explain, unless you're running a corner shop.

They have some persuading to do, but Llambias believes the club's new strategy can return them to the top four positions in the Barclays Premier League. “Why not?” he said. “We want to be solid competitors at the top. That's the way we're going. We aim to be knocking on the door again.

What the fuck? What planet are these fucking clowns on, thinking anybody will believe this shit? FFS, we have Joe Kinnear as manager and a 10 million budget for new players!

Why not indeed, I feel like I am in some lucid nightmare regarding this club, how did it come to this? :lol:

What the fuck? What planet are these fucking clowns on, thinking anybody will believe this shit? FFS, we have Joe Kinnear as manager and a 10 million budget for new players!

Why not indeed, I feel like I am in some lucid nightmare regarding this club, how did it come to this? :)

:lol::razz::icon_lol:

I read it in the original post.

I thought it to myself when I read it.

But reading someone else say it has tickled me immensley.

£10M and Kinnear - Take that Arsenal. Step aside Chelsea.

Fucking delusional.

Newcastle sold Charles N'Zogbia to Wigan Athletic for £6million and will receive £5.9million from Manchester City for Shay Given, but it is understood that the first instalment for the Ireland goalkeeper will not be received until this summer.

WTF? :lol:

Owned by the richest bastard in the world (almost) and we're giving them our best player on tick?

GENIUS!!! idea.gif

So we effectively gave Given away for nowt in the short term? We could've really done with that extra £6 million in January.

Doesnt make sense unless its accounting wizardry getting the money to come in in a different financial year.

It makes perfect sense. Football operates on a 'buy now, pay in instalments later' model. Unless you're NUFC which pays for everything upfront. It means that all our purchases have to be funded upfront, whereas none of our competitors do. Apparently this is a good thing, for reasons no-one can explain, unless you're running a corner shop.

Maybe that's why Fat Mike hasn't spent the Milner money yet, we don't start getting it until 2013 :lol:

Keegan's 4m pay-off and Jonas' 4m transfer fee still to be paid out of the mystery transfer budget?

Llambias - "We were all set to spend big on players but those two costs have hit us hard so now we cant"

Keegan's 4m pay-off and Jonas' 4m transfer fee still to be paid out of the mystery transfer budget?

Llambias - "We were all set to spend big on players but those two costs have hit us hard so now we cant"

The Keegan pay-off is of their own making and the Jonas fee should have been looked into at the time, though £4m could still prove to be a good bit of business.

Edited by ewerk

The Keegan pay-off is of their own making and the Jonas fee should have been looked into at the time, though £4m could still prove to be a good bit of business.

I think he just cynically predicts they'll be the excuses for not spending more come the summer.

Newcastle sold Charles N'Zogbia to Wigan Athletic for £6million and will receive £5.9million from Manchester City for Shay Given, but it is understood that the first instalment for the Ireland goalkeeper will not be received until this summer.

WTF? :lol:

Owned by the richest bastard in the world (almost) and we're giving them our best player on tick?

GENIUS!!! idea.gif

As if it wasn't bad enough letting them have him for less than we got for N'Zogbia. How the fuck do these clowns manage to get the money they did for Milner and N'Zogbia (and the Rozehal and Emre fees may have been pretty decent too) and then give our best player away. How much do we think it would have cost to buy a comparable player to Given if we hadn't had Harper? I bet we would have had to spend a lot more for a far inferior player!

Once the wage bill comes down in the summer we will really get a glimpse of what the plan is.

For me no player at the club should be on more than 50k a week. And no squad player should be on more than 30k.

If you combine Smith, Viduka and Owen, that is enough in wages right there for 6 players.

Edited by Park Life

I think he just cynically predicts they'll be the excuses for not spending more come the summer.

Correct and as if by magic, Derek today tells us

'We are hoping to reach two important settlements in the next week or so which potentially could cost the club a lot of money,' Llambias said.

'One of those is the settlement with Kevin Keegan and the other is the fee for Jonas Gutierrez. We are talking about millions of pounds here and, if we have to pay out a vast sum of money, that will hit our revenue elsewhere.'

Are they saying we haven't actually paid for Jonas? Because if that's the case (and that's how I read it) it means we're even more in profit over transfers since MA took over and, in particular last summer. Also, they can't seriously turn around and say they expected to get him for nothing. The mongs will lap this us like, no doubt.

Correct and as if by magic, Derek today tells us

'We are hoping to reach two important settlements in the next week or so which potentially could cost the club a lot of money,' Llambias said.

'One of those is the settlement with Kevin Keegan and the other is the fee for Jonas Gutierrez. We are talking about millions of pounds here and, if we have to pay out a vast sum of money, that will hit our revenue elsewhere.'

lol we have to settle for a player we apparently obtained by legal and valid means eh?

and how many of us predicted the "we would have had £xm to spend, but we had to pay keegan.."

Fans fault keegans fault etc

I can't understand why they are stumping up for something that their 'It is a fact' statement claims they're not responsible for

Are they saying we haven't actually paid for Jonas? Because if that's the case (and that's how I read it) it means we're even more in profit over transfers since MA took over and, in particular last summer. Also, they can't seriously turn around and say they expected to get him for nothing. The mongs will lap this us like, no doubt.

Everyone was trying to pretend and for a very long time that Jonas bought his contract out and that was that. :lol:

I said it before...they show all the hallmarks of compulsive liars...they forget what they say on one day and contradict it the next.

Also probably cause in all actuality there is no plan.

You know if they could get just one senior football man running the football side top to bottom we could get away with a half decent coach.

JK isn't completely clueless as games away at Chelsea and whatnot have shown.