Newcastle United: buiding for the future

Jimbo

Newcastle United's fans have been promised the club remains committed to re-establishing itself at the top end of the English game. The managing director Derek Llambias last night met fans' representatives as the Mike Ashley regime stepped up its charm offensive following a difficult few months at St James' Park.

The club's owners have found themselves a target for disgruntled supporters in the wake of Kevin Keegan's departure as manager in September last year, and the highs of his first reign and of the five years Sir Bobby Robson spent at the helm are now distant memories.

However, Llambias insisted Ashley's ambition remains undimmed. Asked if the club could rub shoulders with the leading clubs both at home and in Europe once again, he said: "Why not? We want to be solid competitors at the top. That's the way we are going. We aim to be knocking on the door again."

Llambias was grilled by the Supporters Panel, a cross-section of 23 fans, during a two and a half-hour session in which he admitted that the club's decision to keep their own counsel in the immediate aftermath of Keegan's exit was a mistake. However, with Ashley having ended his self-imposed exile from St James' Park and shelved plans to sell the club, he is once again pressing ahead with his long-term vision.

Llambias said: "We have plans for the club and we are taking them forward. When we took over, we had repair work to do and holes to fill. That has been a huge step. We have put a quarter of a billion [pounds] into the club. We didn't think the club had any foundation, there was a poor Academy and we are now building for the future. We are not neglecting the club." Llambias was quizzed about the cash available to strengthen a squad depleted by the sales of James Milner and Shay Given, but gave little away.

Meanwhile, the Senegal international defender Habib Beye is targeting Arsenal's visit to St James' on 21 March for his comeback from an ankle ligament injury. Beye has been out of action since damaging his ankle in a challenge by Wigan's Lee Cattermole on Boxing Day. Cattermole has hit the headlines more than once this season for his rugged approach, and the former Middlesbrough player made his mark at the Riverside Stadium once again at the weekend with a tackle, albeit a fair one, which left Didier Digard facing 12 weeks out.

Speaking of his run-in with the 20-year-old, Beye said: "It was one of the most harrowing experiences of my career. I thought my leg was broken. When I went to the hospital, it was a relief as they said nothing was broken." Beye has spent the two months since working on his rehabilitation, and is determined to return ahead of schedule to play his part in the Magpies' fight for survival in the Premier League.

He said: "We have talked about Chelsea on April 4, but I would like to think I could be back in the team for the Arsenal game. I was determined to play again this season. On Boxing Day, they thought four months – now I am one month ahead. If I am back by the end of March, there will be six or seven games to play. That wouldn't be bad. This has been a hard season for us, so if I can salvage something from it, brilliant."

To be honest, I can appreciate what they're talking about to an extent. One thing our club has had to do is clear house to get rid of the deadwood/over-payed players who have never performed. We have spent SO MUCH and have nothing to account for it. We are THE perpetual underachievers.

In particular, I appreciate the whole idea of building for the future. And I'm happy to have us sit back in the also-rans/mid-table for a few seasons if it means we can build players and consistency in management.

However, there are still so many questions to be answered!

In particular, don't all these future plans/buying young players etc. simply hinge on the fact that we have to stay up over the next two seasons and that's look very shaky at the moment?

Also, do we have the type of manager who can build for the future?

Please feel free to add to this list!!!!!!

To be honest, I can appreciate what they're talking about to an extent. One thing our club has had to do is clear house to get rid of the deadwood/over-payed players who have never performed. We have spent SO MUCH and have nothing to account for it. We are THE perpetual underachievers.

In particular, I appreciate the whole idea of building for the future. And I'm happy to have us sit back in the also-rans/mid-table for a few seasons if it means we can build players and consistency in management.

However, there are still so many questions to be answered!

In particular, don't all these future plans/buying young players etc. simply hinge on the fact that we have to stay up over the next two seasons and that's look very shaky at the moment?

Also, do we have the type of manager who can build for the future?

Please feel free to add to this list!!!!!!

Well i agree but building for the future is all fine and well if one you have a manager who can guide and nurture young talent and two if we had an immediate plan to maintain and improve our 1st team squad.

This 'building for the future with youth' malarky sounds great, except there will always be the case of gems uncovered being sold off to the 'big boys' once they come calling. I can't see any young prospect wanting to stay around here if the top sides want to buy them.

when you make it clear (as we've done) that you're not willing to pay the big wages then the next gazza is not going to have loyalty to us from the day they sign. First whiff of bigger money and they'll go. Basing your entire future solely on this will end in disaster :lol:

when you make it clear (as we've done) that you're not willing to pay the big wages then the next gazza is not going to have loyalty to us from the day they sign. First whiff of bigger money and they'll go. Basing your entire future solely on this will end in disaster :lol:

They have not said they are basing their future solely on kids. I am sure they will keep hunting out the bassongs, nolans and loaners to help us move forward. Why do some find it so hard to see the full picture.

The full picture? You mean 15th in the league and 5 points above the relegation zone with a nightmare run in? A has-been or never-was been manager who is too ill to work, and Dennis fucking runt Wise as executive scout? £10 million cap on new players and the exodus of the few decent players we have? Once more a selling club with no ambition and shit PR? Fan morale at rock bottom and collapsing season ticket sales? Is that full enough of a picture for you?

They have not said they are basing their future solely on kids. I am sure they will keep hunting out the bassongs, nolans and loaners to help us move forward. Why do some find it so hard to see the full picture.

The full picture? You mean 15th in the league and 5 points above the relegation zone with a nightmare run in? A has-been or never-was been manager who is too ill to work, and Dennis fucking runt Wise as executive scout? £10 million cap on new players and the exodus of the few decent players we have? Once more a selling club with no ambition and shit PR? Fan morale at rock bottom and collapsing season ticket sales? Is that full enough of a picture for you?

Not that I believe it, but depending where you read the comments the figures that have been banded about, which now go anywhere from 5-20 million, Ashleys saying he will plough in on top of any revenue the club is turning over.

“He is willing to put £10-15m of his own money in every year, but the rest of the money, for transfers and so on, has to be generated by the club’s own business activity.

As I say I expect it to be bullshit but if we were in a position of the club financially running itself and every year Ashley giving us 10-15 million "play money" on top of any transfer budgets it would actually be quite a good deal IMO, only problem is that its constantly bullshit we are being fed and this is probably more bollocks.

Effectively finding and developing young players is something every fan wants to see.

It’s no use if the first team is left to rot though, as the decent ones will fuck off to a better club as soon as they can. If we found a Fabregas, a Gerrard or a Giggs how long would they play relegation football for Joe Kinnear? :lol:

It's a bit like putting most of your cash into investments, staying in, eating cold beans, drinking value scotch and looking forward to the possibility that your investments will come good and you can laud it up in a few years. Who gives a fuck you never get a sniff of clunge in the present?

Their invest in the future principle is good, but how can you ignore now so badly? It's now now ffs.

At least get a bottle of Grant's you tight cunts.

Edited by trophyshy

Bassong will be an interesting test case regarding the point I made earlier. I'm guessing that the vast majority think the kid could really become a class centre half.

NUFC are reportedly trying to tie the lad down to a long term contract with more money. The thing is, even if he does sign it I bet I wont be the only one expecting him to fuck off somewhere down the line if one of the top clubs come in.

Time will tell. If we can build a team with the calibre of player of Bass then we wont be far away from the top 6, so he shouldn't want to go elsewhere. Somehow I think we're seeking the holy grail and it'll all end in tears.

"Building for the future", eh? :lol:

Well it depends on what exactly it is you're building.

Doesn't matter, it will probably change every few months anyway

Actually that will manage to make things even worse "it's a basement..... no it's a boat....... I want an elephant now..... but now I fancy a chocolate fire-guard". :razz:

Actually that will manage to make things even worse "it's a basement..... no it's a boat....... I want an elephant now..... but now I fancy a chocolate fire-guard". :razz:

It'll start off as the Arsenal penthouse and end up as the Hartlepool wendyhouse

Actually that will manage to make things even worse "it's a basement..... no it's a boat....... I want an elephant now..... but now I fancy a chocolate fire-guard". :icon_lol:

It'll start off as the Arsenal penthouse and end up as the Hartlepool wendyhouse

:razz: