Chopra answers his critics

zico martin

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and agrees with them that he isn't good enough for the premiership, or even the second division on tonight's performance.  God  I was so disappointed with his contribution tonight ;)

49923[/snapback]

but based on his statistics, he is a great player

and agrees with them that he isn't good enough for the premiership, or even the second division on tonight's performance.  God  I was so disappointed with his contribution tonight ;)

49923[/snapback]

but based on his statistics, he is a great player

49929[/snapback]

He was a great player for a lower division side. Not good enough for the Premiership IMO. I'll give him due credit for the reverse pass that led to Shearer's goal though - thought that was unselfish and effective.

Unfortunately I missed last nights match, really want to see what he could do for us over 90 minutes, even against Grimbsy, doesn't sound like I missed much. Is it not fair to say he needs a run in the side, score a couple of goals for his confidence and see what his real level is? Did he look any worse than Ameobi has done at times? Granted I'm saying all this without having seen it!

Both Chopra and Ameobi are not good enough. It's been fairly obvious for ages.

It was a lion type performance from Shearer last night, but against top defenders he is on his last legs. So where does that leave us? Looks like Dyer is going to have to be used as a striker.

The bully hasn't left us with many striking options, has he? Scoring goals was always going to be the problem, of course, because the bully decided it was vital to spent the majority of the clubs cash on other parts of the team.

Both Chopra and Ameobi are not good enough.  It's been fairly obvious for ages.

It was a lion type performance from  Shearer last night, but against top defenders he  is on his last legs. So where does that leave us? Looks like Dyer is going to have to be used as a striker.

The bully hasn't left us with many striking options, has he? Scoring goals was always going to be the problem, of course, because the bully decided it was vital to spent the majority of the clubs cash on other parts of the team.

49967[/snapback]

Could you be steering this thread towards Souness at all! ;)

:icon_lol:

It was a lion type performance from  Shearer last night, but against top defenders he  is on his last legs. So where does that leave us? Looks like Dyer is going to have to be used as a striker.

49967[/snapback]

Ignoring the fact he's signed Luque and Owen, who are both strikers.

49967[/snapback]

Ignoring the fact he's signed Luque and Owen, who are both strikers.

49970[/snapback]

I see Owen as an out and out goalscorer, in that sense the money was spent on a replacement for Shearer a season before he retires. We have only one real quality PL striker now.

I see Luque as a replacement for Robert.

Are you happy with 2 from Shearer, Owen, Ameobi and Chopra?

I see Owen as an out and out goalscorer, in that sense the money was spent on a replacement for Shearer a season before he retires.  We have only one real quality PL striker now.

I see Luque as a replacement for Robert.

Are you happy with 2 from Shearer, Owen, Ameobi and Chopra?

49972[/snapback]

If Ameobi can maintain the level of performance against Sunderland he's good enough. I'd like to see Chopra given a run before we know if he can make it. The way N'Zogbia's develping Luque may find himself up front. I think we'll replace Shearer/Bellamy in January.

I'm not going to get an answer on my Chopra questions now, am I!

What were Souness's striking options when he arrived though? I'd say they are better now (given Luque can play upfront if needed). I'm not saying Souness is great and in an ideal world Bellamy would still be here (we've both agreed in the past that Souness could have handled that one better). But Souness did have to strengthen other areas too. Whether we rate Boumsong or not, we needed a centre-half (something Robson never properly addressed - Woodgate never fit, O'Brien not good enough etc.) Also, we had loads of central midfielders but I'm not sure they were good enough. Faye was a poor signing but in Emre and Parker we've got the creativity and steel that has been missing from the middle of the park for too long.

Basically, what I'm saying is that whether you are Souness fan or not, I think it's fair to argue he needed to strengthen a few areas.

What were Souness's striking options when he arrived though? I'd say they are better now (given Luque can play upfront if needed). I'm not saying Souness is great and in an ideal world Bellamy would still be here (we've both agreed in the past that Souness could have handled that one better). But Souness did have to strengthen other areas too. Whether we rate Boumsong or not, we needed a centre-half (something Robson never properly addressed - Woodgate never fit, O'Brien not good enough etc.) Also, we had loads of central midfielders but I'm not sure they were good enough. Faye was a poor signing but in Emre and Parker we've got the creativity and steel that has been missing from the middle of the park for too long.

Basically, what I'm saying is that whether you are Souness fan or not, I think it's fair to argue he needed to strengthen a few areas.

49979[/snapback]

Totally agree with that, Robson thought Jenas and Dyer was the perfect midfield (and future England one!), Souness thinks Emre & Parker. I don't think there'd be too many arguments about which is better. There's plenty of managers I'd rather have than Souness but I think he's signed good players for us.

Unfortunately I missed last nights match, really want to see what he could do for us over 90 minutes, even against Grimbsy, doesn't sound like I missed much.  Is it not fair to say he needs a run in the side, score a couple of goals for his confidence and see what his real level is?  Did he look any worse than Ameobi has done at times?  Granted I'm saying all this without having seen it!

49963[/snapback]

Chopra has nothing to offer, literally nothing. Ameobi is a far superior player, however hard that is to believe! What does Chopra offer - he's lighweight (never seen him win a tackle), can't pass, isn't particularly quick, is no good in the air, and hasn't got a great shot. At least not at PL level. I honestly don't see him as an option at all, and should get shot asap.

As for Ameobi, one swallow does not maketh a summer etc. It'll take a hell of a lot more convincing that he is fit to be in our team. And is Luque a striker? That's a big risk. Owen fair enough, but he'll miss 50% of games. So, all in all, I would say we need to invest about £20M up front or discover some brilliant young talent, or we will be weak as piss up front. I can't see either happening.

Chopra has good movement and he's a cool finisher. Unfortunately that's it.

50013[/snapback]

Should he not be told to hit the weights hard for a couple for months?

A little harsh. One game in a cup tie at Grimsby where no one apart from Zoggy played particularly well ( I wouldnt be backing up Parkers claims for an England spot on last night for instance). The amount of pressure on the lad must have been a factor. He might not be good enough but just in the same way I wont write Luque off after what we've seen from him I wont do the same to Chopra yet either.

Maybe a change in position will do him good. He looked promising when playing RM preseason 04. I know it was only in freindlies but still he showed a bit of potential

A little harsh. One game in a cup tie at Grimsby where no one apart from Zoggy played particularly well ( I wouldnt be backing up Parkers claims for an England spot on last night for instance). The amount of pressure on the lad must have been a factor. He might not be good enough but just in the same way I wont write Luque off after what we've seen from him I wont do the same to Chopra yet either.

Maybe a change in position will do him good. He looked promising when playing RM preseason 04. I know it was only in freindlies but still he showed a bit of potential

50021[/snapback]

There's a big difference between Luque's football CV and Chopras, really you can't make the comparison. We are supposed to be a big club, one of the best in England. Ask yourself the question - would he get a game At Chelsea, Arsenal, Manu or Liverpool? He's old enough now to know he is not the next Michael Owen, so set him free to pursue his career in a lower division imo.

There's a big difference between Luque's football CV and Chopras, really you can't make the comparison. We are supposed to be a big club, one of the best in England. Ask yourself the question - would he get a game At Chelsea, Arsenal, Manu or Liverpool? He's old enough now to know he is not the next Michael Owen, so set him free to pursue his career in a lower division imo.

50030[/snapback]

Possibly!

Have you seen Ameobi show less potential in a match than Chopra did last night? Would it make sense to bulk him up? A couple of goals and a run in the side can do wonders for confidence and it's always amazing what difference that can make.

no he's not comparable to Luque but do you really think he's been given a fair chance to show what he can do?

A start last night were he played poor along with the rest of the team and thats it, not good enough.

He may never get a sufficient run out but thats life. Like I said he might not be good enough, and as a first choice striker he certainly isnt, but he could still do a job for us. Im sure he's better than what we saw last night.

50030[/snapback]

Possibly!

Have you seen Ameobi show less potential in a match than Chopra did last night? Would it make sense to bulk him up? A couple of goals and a run in the side can do wonders for confidence and it's always amazing what difference that can make.

50040[/snapback]

No unfortunately. When they bring through a striker from their academy they tend to be class like Owen or Fowler. Otherwise they will buy in players of (dubious) quality.