Newcastle out of the bottom three

Douggy B

This website was linked to in a post earlier on this season:

http://www.rightresult.net/

I thought this would be a good time to revisit it. A majority of teams are within 5 points of there EPL total so it does show that decisions generally even themselves out over a course of a season. However with the league as tight as it is at the top and bottom, it shows the margins for error are razor thin.

Smoggies are really hard done by with dodgy decisions costing them 7 Prem points. :lol:

Dirty cheating goons are the major benefactors of dodgy decision making with a whole 5 points more than their Prem total. :lol:

I'd say the biggest beneficiaries are Stoke, instead of being in the relegation zone, they're comfortably midtable...

We have had a few nasty decisions go against us I suppose but I have grown used to it.

The worst for me was Beye getting sent off for a perfectly fine tackle on Robinho and then probably Cattermole only getting a yellow card after literally murdering Beye. Saturday's ''goal'' etc etc. :mellow:

There's probably a load more I can't remember but either way it makes no difference now.

Saturday's ''goal'' etc etc. ;)

Not that it would have made any difference, but why are the FA so against goal line technology? They use this new fangled electricity dunhickmedoodle already. :mellow:

the line they trot out is that it'd slow the game down and weaken the authority of the Referee. Which is bollocks.

I can't see the need for video refereeing of every decision, but contentious decisions in the box would benefit from that kind of scrutiny. It would certainly stop goals like Owen's, that Spurs Goal etc being chalked off. It might also put an end to diving around in the box like Gamst Pedersen(sp?) etc.

Also, the spray line to demarcate the 10 yard boundary seems sensible.

It would slow the game down though tbf if it was extended to penalty decisions. I'd probably only have it for occasions like Saturday which wouldn't impact on many games at all.

I have actually just read that website through and most of it is against us anyway :mellow:

It was the lastest coming of another Geordie Messiah as Alan Shearer took charge of a Newcastle United team for the first time, but it turned out to be a familiar story as the Toon sank deeper into the relegation mire. They weren’t help by not being allowed a valid goal as it was shown that Michael Owen’s goal attempt did cross the Chelsea line. For advocates of goal-line technology, it is the first such example of this Right Result season. And before United feel too aggrieved, Chelsea should also have been awarded a penalty for Fabricio Coloccini’s clumsy challenge on Salomon Kalou.

The Right Result is a 3-1 win to Chelsea.

Newcastle United’s Sebastien Bassong moved ahead of this season’s Right Result offenders list in the defeat at Bolton Wanderers. In the first-half, the home team should have been given the opportunity to double the margin of their single goal win when the former Metz defender clumsily fouled Kevin Davies inside the area. It is the third time in 2008-09 that he has come out on the wrong side of a Right Result judgement following earlier incidents at Portsmouth and West Ham United.

The Right Result is a 2-0 win to Bolton Wanderers.

On the back of Joe Kinnear’s infamous comments in midweek, there was no chance of a fierce Tyne / Wear derby being a cure for insomnia. However, following controversial incidents at St James’ Park, one wonders how easily one or two of the leading protagonists would sleep. With United going in an increasingly desperate search for an equaliser, Steven Taylor - denied a genuine penalty claim at Manchester City in midweek - gained a spot-kick from Steed Malbranque’s legitimate challenge with what was described by Sunderland boss Ricky Sbragia as a five-card trick.

The Right Result is a 1-0 win to Sunderland.

;)

They're right about Bassong like, as good as he's been at CB. He seems to have cut it out lately but he got away with murder a few times. I'll never know how the fuck he got away with that one on Bellamy :mellow:

It would slow the game down though tbf if it was extended to penalty decisions. I'd probably only have it for occasions like Saturday which wouldn't impact on many games at all.

Would it really slow down the game though alex? I've seen ref's take ages to deliberate on the truly contentious decisions, and if there were a piece of equipment that he could have the 4th official look at and get back to him then surely it'd speed things up. The ref already makes decisions under advisement from the linesmen any way. I can't see this slowing it down at all.

but I defend your right to talk shit :mellow:

Would it really slow down the game though alex? I've seen ref's take ages to deliberate on the truly contentious decisions, and if there were a piece of equipment that he could have the 4th official look at and get back to him then surely it'd speed things up. The ref already makes decisions under advisement from the linesmen any way. I can't see this slowing it down at all.

I think the evidence from other sports suggests it would slow the game down. Not against it completely but I think I'd try it just for the goal mouth first. Other sports tend to be more 'stop-start' too so it suits them better. You have to consider that you see something on Motd or whatever after it has been edited, analysed etc. whereas any decisions need to be made 'live' as it were.

Edited by alex

You don't watch rugby league then!!

In what circumstances? They generally make decisions immediately, then get grief from players for ages.

In what circumstances? They generally make decisions immediately, then get grief from players for ages.

like I say, the truly contentious decisions, where their m,ind is not made up. They'll wander over to the linesman to consult, then give the decision that they've both arrived at, what's the difference between asking the line-oh and asking the 4th official to check a tv replay. Also If they hold off until the 4th official says yay or nay they might reduce the number of false positives (as it were) I think the crowd as a whole would be happy to wait the thirty seconds it would take to check if it meant they got the correct decision. I wouldn't do it for offsides, fouls outside the box, corners, throw ins and the like, but game changing events should come under tighter scrutiny than they currently do.

like I say, the truly contentious decisions, where their m,ind is not made up. They'll wander over to the linesman to consult, then give the decision that they've both arrived at, what's the difference between asking the line-oh and asking the 4th official to check a tv replay. Also If they hold off until the 4th official says yay or nay they might reduce the number of false positives (as it were) I think the crowd as a whole would be happy to wait the thirty seconds it would take to check if it meant they got the correct decision. I wouldn't do it for offsides, fouls outside the box, corners, throw ins and the like, but game changing events should come under tighter scrutiny than they currently do.

They would still get some wrong though. Some incidents need 10 replays in slow motion and opinion is still divided. What if a ref made an incorrect decision that sent a club down having consulted a video replay! The game would descend into farce. Leave the refs to get on with it. They get some wrong but nobody complains when their team scores an offside goal or a dodgy pen. The blame culture is always to blame to officials though, never the players and manager.

Edited by Row Z

That table can no way give the "right result" because things could have gone completely different had the referee not made a mistake. For example if Beye wasn't sent off there would have been no penalty meaning the ball would go straight to Given and we'd have seen a different passage of play than we did, with the goal being scored and the ball returned to the centre etc etc...

They would still get some wrong though. Some incidents need 10 replays in slow motion and opinion is still divided. What if a ref made an incorrect decision that sent a club down having consulted a video replay! The game would descend into farce. Leave the refs to get on with it. They get some wrong but nobody complains when their team scores an offside goal or a dodgy pen. The blame culture is always to blame to officials though, never the players and manager.

This is fair enough, some decisions will still be contentious no matter how many angles, replays and opinions are called upon. However some of the stonewall-clearcut-obviousasfuck goals/penalties/dives would not be given.

I don't think anybody wants an automaton in the middle of the park, there has to be consideration and judgement, and this technology wouldn't interrupt that, it's just a tool that he can call upon if he wants or needs clarification.

That table can no way give the "right result" because things could have gone completely different had the referee not made a mistake. For example if Beye wasn't sent off there would have been no penalty meaning the ball would go straight to Given and we'd have seen a different passage of play than we did, with the goal being scored and the ball returned to the centre etc etc...

couldn't you just take it on faith? :mellow:

Would it really slow the game down that much, this is hardly like NFL where penalty flags are handed out like candy, how many times would it seriously be used a game?

Would it really slow the game down that much, this is hardly like NFL where penalty flags are handed out like candy, how many times would it seriously be used a game?

Exactly, although that's not what you meant.