Owen

Douggy B

I think part of it is that Owen's game is built up on having a good team around him. There is no denying he is an intelligent players, often making clever runs off the ball. Trouble is, we seldom have players around him to take advantage of this. No doubt he is not the player he was, but I still think in a good side he can be a good player. But in a bad side (us) he is almost invisible.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex
Luxury player we cannot afford wages wise or in our team. Just let him go and accept we did not get our money's worth for various reasons.

:D

If he would take a major wage cut it would be different surely. Even if he was on 60k (I'd want him on less) over 3 years that's about £9.4m. What do you think you'd get for that? That's transfer fee + wages btw, because that's what you'd have to pay.

Edited by alex

Luxury player we cannot afford wages wise or in our team. Just let him go and accept we did not get our money's worth for various reasons.

If he would take a major wage cut it would be different surely. Even if he was on 60k (I'd want him on less) over 3 years that's about £9.4m. What do you think you'd get for that? That's transfer fee + wages btw, because that's what you'd have to pay.

A player who we cannot play to his strengths so he will be frustrated and no threat again. regardless of wages. i would rather have Lovenkrands :o

Guest alex

A player who we cannot play to his strengths so he will be frustrated and no threat again. regardless of wages. i would rather have Lovenkrands :o

Well you're letting your hatred of the player cloud your judgement then because Lovenkrands is just as injury-prone and nowhere near as prolific.

Well you're letting your hatred of the player cloud your judgement then because Lovenkrands is just as injury-prone and nowhere near as prolific.

I do not hate Owen (I do not know him) recently, current form Lovenkrands has looked like a good buy. Take into account the lack of service and Owen is still not effective. He is slow, he is not creative. Yes he does have a god football brain. But he is not doing anything for us.

If it was the Michael Owen of a year or two ago we would not be having this discussion.

by the way if he scores on Saturday i would love him. :o

Do you not think you are a little blinkered when it comes to the litttle lad? :o

Guest alex

I do not hate Owen (I do not know him) recently, current form Lovenkrands has looked like a good buy. Take into account the lack of service and Owen is still not effective. He is slow, he is not creative. Yes he does have a god football brain. But he is not doing anything for us.

If it was the Michael Owen of a year or two ago we would not be having this discussion.

Do you not think you are a little blinkered when it comes to the litttle lad? :o

How am I blinkered? I've already said he's nowhere near the player he was etc. I'm only saying he'd be worth keeping on significantly lower wages because a worse replacement would cost more. You were making the argument on the basis of economics and I was countering that. I don't think he's a class player any more - he isn't. But he's low on confidence which has affected his form, that's all. The Owen of a year ago is the same physical specimen he is now imo, because he had the exact same attributes then. The team's even worse but that's no reason to discard one of the better players. Replacing players like him with players like Lovenkrands is a bit like replacing players like N'Zogbia (another one who struggled of late tbf) with players like Ryan Taylor - i.e. it's a one way ticket to the Championship next year (if not this).

If he goes, he goes - and he won't have been good value at all. Letting him go might be even worse value though, I think it will.

Nowt against Lovenkrands btw, he's been a good stop-gap but that's all he should be.

Edited by alex

I've made the point elsewhere but I still say it comes down to service, pure and simple. His conversion rate this season is statistically as good as ever. His dry spell has probably affected his confidence so he's now a player out of form, but I don't believe for a second he's a lesser player than he was last season, and he was pretty effective then. People are reading too much into him missing one sitter against Portsmouth in my opinion.

I've made the point elsewhere but I still say it comes down to service, pure and simple. His conversion rate this season is statistically as good as ever. His dry spell has probably affected his confidence so he's now a player out of form, but I don't believe for a second he's a lesser player than he was last season, and he was pretty effective then. People are reading too much into him missing one sitter against Portsmouth in my opinion.

Aye.

:o

Do you not think you are a little blinkered when it comes to the litttle lad? :lol:

How am I blinkered? I've already said he's nowhere near the player he was etc. I'm only saying he'd be worth keeping on significantly lower wages because a worse replacement would cost more. You were making the argument on the basis of economics and I was countering that. I don't think he's a class player any more - he isn't. But he's low on confidence which has affected his form, that's all. The Owen of a year ago is the same physical specimen he is now imo, because he had the exact same attributes then. The team's even worse but that's no reason to discard one of the better players. Replacing players like him with players like Lovenkrands is a bit like replacing players like N'Zogbia (another one who struggled of late tbf) with players like Ryan Taylor - i.e. it's a one way ticket to the Championship next year (if not this).

If he goes, he goes - and he won't have been good value at all. Letting him go might be even worse value though, I think it will.

Nowt against Lovenkrands btw, he's been a good stop-gap but that's all he should be.

good points mate :lol: still don't agree but I doubt you will lose sleep over that :D

have fun

Guest alex

:o

Do you not think you are a little blinkered when it comes to the litttle lad? :lol:

good points mate :lol: still don't agree but I doubt you will lose sleep over that :D

have fun

You as well, I don't give a fuck who scores of Satda, as long as we win.

Re: Ant's point. Souness wanted Anelka if rumours are to be believed. Shame that never happened.

A one-in-three conversion rate would put him right at the very top of the striking bracket - very few players get anywhere near that. Torres, for example, this season has 21 goals to 141 shots (21 to 59 when you only count shots on target). Owen has ten goals from 45 shots, 28 on target. His numbers stand up to any scrutiny, even now. He's simply not getting the chances man.

Edit: I've counted Torres' international record in those numbers as I can't be arsed to subtract them; it makes no material difference.

Edited by Big Onion

Guest alex

I'd put that into context by saying his shot is weak as piss now, so he isn't going to shoot from any sort of distance (his shot was never that powerful anyway though). Agree about the lack of chances though.

You can hoy stats around all you like. Anyone thats seen him play the last 3 months knows hes probably the least effective striker at our club right now. Hes not fast, he cant hold up the ball, he cant shoot from distance, hes too short to win most headers. Hes done and the sooner hes off the wage sheet the better imo

I'd put that into context by saying his shot is weak as piss now, so he isn't going to shoot from any sort of distance (his shot was never that powerful anyway though). Agree about the lack of chances though.

Yep. I've never argued he's anything other than a penalty-box finisher. I just maintain he's still very good at that, and it ought to be enough in a side like ours but our midfield is so utterly gash any striker would be struggling to play effectively in front of it.

Guest alex

Yep. I've never argued he's anything other than a penalty-box finisher. I just maintain he's still very good at that, and it ought to be enough in a side like ours but our midfield is so utterly gash any striker would be struggling to play effectively in front of it.

I think it's a telling stat btw, just (like most stats in football) it doesn't tell the whole story.

Guest alex
You can hoy stats around all you like. Anyone thats seen him play the last 3 months knows hes probably the least effective striker at our club right now. Hes not fast, he cant hold up the ball, he cant shoot from distance, hes too short to win most headers. Hes done and the sooner hes off the wage sheet the better imo

You were saying recently you'd put Barton in ahead of him. Although after Barton got sent off you said you'd told us all along that would happen. Basically, you talk shite.

It's Martins we should be looking to keep, Owen is replaceable now, (when we bought him he was the best though).

I can't see why we don't go for Adriano if we stay up, I mean he fucked off to a Brazilian club on loan, so surely he'll come to us.

Edited by BigChrisfgb

Guest alex
It's Martins we should be looking to keep, Owen is replaceable now, (when we bought him he was the best though).

I can't see why we don't go for Adriano if we stay up, I mean he fucked of to a Brazilian club on loan, so surely he'll come to us.