Owen

Douggy B

Indeed. Duff just hasn't recaptured the form we bought him on the premise of.

Really, our attacking midfield demise began when SBR went. Souness was instrumental in that and Big Sam made sure we had plenty of cloggers.

In one respect, a couple of cloggers is not such a bad thing as long as they can pass it to someone who can do something good with it (Copyright Brian Clough).

We can't do the former and are struggling for the latter :nufc:

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Duff was bought mainly because he was available rather than due to any policy/need imo. That's a trait which we've probably seen here since Woodgate was signed.

one of the worst signings in recent times if you ask me.

We didn't need a left winger, we had Charlie and Milner capable of playing there. Of course if he hadn't come Charlie would have been first choice meaning he wouldn't have stropped about so much, probably meaning he would have stayed etc etc etc

I know it's conjecture, but I look at Duff and see a total waste of money and that he's cost us far more than the £5m we spent on him.

Duff was bought mainly because he was available rather than due to any policy/need imo. That's a trait which we've probably seen here since Woodgate was signed.

Very true.

Pretty much sums up how we ended up with R Taylor (part-exchange), Lovenkrands (out of contract) and Nolan (going backwards at Bolton) in the last transfer window.

we should try 4 - 3 - 3 again next monday night with owen playing the deep lying keeganator role. martins and viduka up top. with a midfield 3 of jonas, guthrie and joey barton. and drop the other shite fuckers from the midfield. maybe then owen could get some bastard bullets

I'd do that although Barton might be struggling in which case I think I'd play Butt and have Barton on the bench (not ideal but I prefer the former to Nolan). I'd also play Steven Taylor at RB, Duff at LB and have Beye and Bassong in the middle.

if barton is not fit can i advocate alan smith for the role instead of nicky butt and kevin, fat plodding bastard i am a footballer honestly nolan? i know alan smith is not ideal but he can move and attempts to get stuck in. not ideal like....

we should try 4 - 3 - 3 again next monday night with owen playing the deep lying keeganator role. martins and viduka up top. with a midfield 3 of jonas, guthrie and joey barton. and drop the other shite fuckers from the midfield. maybe then owen could get some bastard bullets

I'd do that although Barton might be struggling in which case I think I'd play Butt and have Barton on the bench (not ideal but I prefer the former to Nolan). I'd also play Steven Taylor at RB, Duff at LB and have Beye and Bassong in the middle.

if barton is not fit can i advocate alan smith for the role instead of nicky butt and kevin, fat plodding bastard i am a footballer honestly nolan? i know alan smith is not ideal but he can move and attempts to get stuck in. not ideal like....

I know its heresy but I though Smith did okay on Sunday.

I know its heresy but I though Smith did okay on Sunday.

Aye, he did alright. Used the ball quite well I thought.

Not saying Butt isn't well past it but I tend to stick up for him because he'll take responsibilty to the extent that he'll make himself look a cunt by trying to do stuff he couldn't even do when he was 10 years younger because no on else is willing to do that. Better him than someone like Nolan who just seemingly hides in every game.

I'm just glad the commentators have stopped saying of Butt's latest stray pass "Well that's unusual for Butt, to give the ball away so cheaply"

It's not just the five yard passes that go ten yards off target, it's the simple passes that he turns into 50/50 balls. The amount of times a pass should be straightforward that now the recipient is having to challenge for makes my eyes want to desert me

editI know what you're saying alex, but I'd rather instead of him attempting the unexpected, just get the simple stuff right first.

Edited by The Fish

Unlike Butt who was gash.

Butt is another "victim" of our shitness in the sam way as Owen - I think he feels it's up to him to create (which he's shit at) as well as to destroy/get posession (which he's quite good at).

If he had someone he could always drop it off to he'd look much better imo.

I'm just glad the commentators have stopped saying of Butt's latest stray pass "Well that's unusual for Butt, to give the ball away so cheaply"

It's not just the five yard passes that go ten yards off target, it's the simple passes that he turns into 50/50 balls. The amount of times a pass should be straightforward that now the recipient is having to challenge for makes my eyes want to desert me

It's not that straightforward finding a team mate when no one wants the ball. That applies to whoever is in possession and not just Butt, obviously.

I agree, but even when the ball is obvious, when the recipient DOES want the ball he's fucking it up.

he's been one of the season's better performers, but he's been pretty terrible in terms of ball retention... which is saying a lot for the rest of the team.

I agree, but even when the ball is obvious, when the recipient DOES want the ball he's fucking it up.

he's been one of the season's better performers, but he's been pretty terrible in terms of ball retention... which is saying a lot for the rest of the team.

Pretty much goes along with what NJS and I were saying. It's not his game but he's trying to do stuff he's not good at because the likes of Nolan don't want to know.

I've watched him closely a few times and he seems to make token, half-hearted runs (either forward or back) but mostly too late to make any difference, and I never see him looking like he wants the ball. I honestly don't know if he's any good or not because he just hides and does fuck all.

I've watched him closely a few times and he seems to make token, half-hearted runs (either forward or back) but mostly too late to make any difference, and I never see him looking like he wants the ball. I honestly don't know if he's any good or not because he just hides and does fuck all.

He's a fucking carthorse man. He does make forward runs but he doesn't look like getting on the end of anything. He then takes an eternity to get back down the other end of the pitch when the move breaks down.

He's a fucking carthorse man. He does make forward runs but he doesn't look like getting on the end of anything. He then takes an eternity to get back down the other end of the pitch when the move breaks down.

I'm far from Danny Guthrie's biggest fan but he has got to be a better option than Nolan.

Unlike Butt who was gash.

Butt is another "victim" of our shitness in the sam way as Owen - I think he feels it's up to him to create (which he's shit at) as well as to destroy/get posession (which he's quite good at).

If he had someone he could always drop it off to he'd look much better imo.

He is too old now as well, but I doubt even in his prime he'd be able to effectively replace our entire midfield. :nufc:

Owen is still a world class finisher, but you need to someone in the side to find him with the correct ball 4/5 times a game.

I beg to differ. His reactions and anticipation are world class. Not his finishing.

Owen is still a world class finisher, but you need to someone in the side to find him with the correct ball 4/5 times a game.

I beg to differ. His reactions and anticipation are world class. Not his finishing.

:D