Robert walks out on Portsmouth

Gemmill

On a serious note, when he first came to the Toon, he was probably worth all the baggage. I don't think he is anymore and that's the problem.

53743[/snapback]

Agreed, that's why I'm so annoyed. If he'd even put in half the effort most players do, he would now be the best winger in the Premiership by a country mile. Now he's just unwanted at Pompey. Well done Laurent.

I remember reading how he excelled at karate. horse-riding and football as a boy but decided the team sport would be the most challenging. Just no-one told him football was the team sport, apparently.

Fuck, I sound as bitter as an Alan Oliver piece.

53750[/snapback]

Aye, that's what really pissed me off about Robert. All the ability in the world, but no interest in applying himself unless he felt like it. That coupled with the silly interviews etc. meant the bad eventually outweighed the good.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note, when he first came to the Toon, he was probably worth all the baggage. I don't think he is anymore and that's the problem.

53743[/snapback]

Agreed, that's why I'm so annoyed. If he'd even put in half the effort most players do, he would now be the best winger in the Premiership by a country mile. Now he's just unwanted at Pompey. Well done Laurent.

I remember reading how he excelled at karate. horse-riding and football as a boy but decided the team sport would be the most challenging. Just no-one told him football was the team sport, apparently.

53750[/snapback]

Aye, that's what really pissed me off about Robert. All the ability in the world, but no interest in applying himself unless he felt like it. That coupled with the silly interviews etc. meant the bad eventually outweighed the good.

53755[/snapback]

Fucking hell man, stop talking in cliches. It's lazy.

53743[/snapback]

53750[/snapback]

53755[/snapback]

53758[/snapback]

Is that actually possible anymore in a Robert thread though?

53743[/snapback]

53750[/snapback]

53755[/snapback]

53758[/snapback]

It's only a cliche because it's all true. Renton is seething. :D

53743[/snapback]

Very little baggage compared to Dyer imo.

It'll be interesting to see if we improve without him though.

53748[/snapback]

You may or may not be right but it's a separate issue as far as I'm concerned. The problems Robert is having at Pompey highlight what Robson, Souness and Robert's team mates at Newcastle have had to put up with in my opinion.

53743[/snapback]

53750[/snapback]

53755[/snapback]

53758[/snapback]

53760[/snapback]

Well that's your opinion. Personally I don't buy it. All players have off days. When it happens to Owen, will it be because he can't be arsed or because he's just not playing well in that match? Your just shoe-horning Robert into your preconceived stereotype - you know, exactly the type of thing you criticise Oliver for doing. Lazy.

53743[/snapback]

53750[/snapback]

53755[/snapback]

53758[/snapback]

53760[/snapback]

Well that's your opinion. Personally I don't buy it. All players have off days. When it happens to Owen, will it be because he can't be arsed or because he's just not playing well in that match? Your just shoe-horning Robert into your preconceived stereotype - you know, exactly the type of thing you criticise Oliver for doing. Lazy.

53763[/snapback]

I think you'll find that Robert is doing a pretty good job of living up to the "preconceived stereotype". No shoe-horn required. I am lazy though, so you're right there.

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

You may or may not be right but it's a separate issue as far as I'm concerned. The problems Robert is having at Pompey highlight what Robson, Souness and Robert's team mates at Newcastle have had to put up with in my opinion.

53762[/snapback]

Well you're right, but that's where good management comes into it. Remember Cantona and Ferguson? Not that I'm comparing Cantona to Robert in terms of ability, but you get the point without me going further, I'm sure.

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

53762[/snapback]

Well you're right, but that's where good management comes into it. Remember Cantona and Ferguson? Not that I'm comparing Cantona to Robert in terms of ability, but you get the point without me going further, I'm sure.

53766[/snapback]

Haway man Renton, how many managers have to try and fail with Robert before it becomes Robert's responsibility? There are individuals in life who are just unmanageable.

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

53762[/snapback]

53766[/snapback]

Thing is though, Robson said he was the hardest player he ever had to manage (or words to that effect) and Perrin hasn't took long to fall out with him. I'll ignore Souness, because (rightly or wrongly) he had it in for Robert from day one IMO.

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

53762[/snapback]

53766[/snapback]

:D

Obsessed tbh.

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

53762[/snapback]

53766[/snapback]

Haway man Renton, how many managers have to try and fail with Robert before it becomes Robert's responsibility? There are individuals in life who are just unmanageable.

53770[/snapback]

Obese tbh

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

53762[/snapback]

53766[/snapback]

Thing is though, Robson said he was the hardest player he ever had to manage (or words to that effect) and Perrin hasn't took long to fall out with him. I'll ignore Souness, because (rightly or wrongly) he had it in for Robert from day one IMO.

53771[/snapback]

Seond hardest after Romario I think you'll find. :D

And that's the thing, he took the effort if he thought the player was worth it. But Souness can't/won't do this. Don't know enough about Perrin.

53743[/snapback]

53748[/snapback]

53762[/snapback]

53766[/snapback]

53770[/snapback]

Obese tbh

53774[/snapback]

Tit. :D

Robert and Romario was the worst comparison tbh :D

53804[/snapback]

Not at all. Romario was a much bigger pain in the arse for Robson than Robert, he makes a direct comparison with them in his book.

And Gemmill - both are flair franch players, who are tempermental and talk bollocks off the pitch. Class comparison tbh!

53804[/snapback]

Not at all. Romario was a much bigger pain in the arse for Robson than Robert, he makes a direct comparison with them in his book.

And Gemmill - both are flair franch players, who are tempermental and talk bollocks off the pitch. Class comparison tbh!

53806[/snapback]

Lazy tbh.

53804[/snapback]

53806[/snapback]

Joke tbh, like comparing Romario and Robert in terms of ability would be :D