Flu Pandemic

Lazarus

Didn't I read that the Spanish Flu just after WWI affected "fit" people more and left the old and weak relatively unscathed?

It sounded strange to me but I may be wrong.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't I read that the Spanish Flu just after WWI affected "fit" people more and left the old and weak relatively unscathed?

It sounded strange to me but I may be wrong.

It was an exception to the rule iirc. I'm not sure it was ever understood why it preferenced the young, but it could happen again.

Well we have it here in Torbay now :scratchhead: I work in Paignton with some of the mums of kids who go to the same school where we've had the outbreak...told them all to keep the hell out of my way :aye:

Well we have it here in Torbay now :icon_lol: I work in Paignton with some of the mums of kids who go to the same school where we've had the outbreak...told them all to keep the hell out of my way :aye:

Just let me know if you need any Vic rubbed into your chest. :scratchhead:

Talking about the spread of this, I see all the reporters were trawling the streets where the two Scottish people live. Hey-ho, then go home, potentially spreading the germ further. Just like the foot and mouth.

Well we have it here in Torbay now :icon_lol: I work in Paignton with some of the mums of kids who go to the same school where we've had the outbreak...told them all to keep the hell out of my way :aye:

Just let me know if you need any Vic rubbed into your chest. :scratchhead:

Talking about the spread of this, I see all the reporters were trawling the streets where the two Scottish people live. Hey-ho, then go home, potentially spreading the germ further. Just like the foot and mouth.

Thank you Snakey, I'll let you know! (Cant be ill cos its the big match Friday...(playoffs V Histon) Hope you will be watching?

If a pandemic does strike, can it please happen in the next couple of weeks forcing the current football season to be abandoned (can't have tens of thousands of people congregating in one place).

We can then start with a clean page again in August. :aye:

flu usually takes out half a million annually. Let's face it, media overdrive as usual.

Where did that random figure come from? I think you're mistaking seasonal influenza with pandemic influenza. The latter can wipe out tens or even hundreds of millions globally.

The thing is, if this does fizzle out, or the UK's precautions work, people will blame the non-event on media hype. On the other hand, if it proves to be serious or even catastrophic, people will blame the government for being unprepared. Either way the medical profession can't win.

Personally, I'd take notice of what the WHO and HPA are saying and not the Daily Mail, that's my advice.

The thing is, if this does fizzle out, or the UK's precautions work, people will blame the non-event on media hype. On the other hand, if it proves to be serious or even catastrophic, people will blame the government for being unprepared. Either way the medical profession can't win.

Personally, I'd take notice of what the WHO and HPA are saying and not the Daily Mail, that's my advice.

There was a good article by Ben Goldacre in The Guardian yesterday saying that the danger in the media hysteria was that poeople would think it was overhyped - there is a genuine risk which should be discussed.

flu usually takes out half a million annually. Let's face it, media overdrive as usual.

Where did that random figure come from? I think you're mistaking seasonal influenza with pandemic influenza. The latter can wipe out tens or even hundreds of millions globally.

The media love a good pandemic, they've been relentlessly hyping it since the first sniff (just like with SARs) and now it's all BAP_BBC_5213.jpg:aye:

Even the death rate is ridiculous, most all deaths (that aren't being run over by a cactus :scratchhead: ) are being attributed to it in places like Mexico, they haven't a clue about flu deaths or not most of the time.

Let's face it, media overdrive as usual.

One of the presenters had the nerve to ask that question this morning on GMTV, while at the same time having a reporter camped outside a 12 year old's home.

Fop knows more than the HPA or the WHO. What a surprise.

The are actually being fairly restrained if you actually look at what they say (Rention not paying attention, what a surprise).

The media on the other hand are about 1 step away from a running "death count" in the corner of the TV screen.

The are actually being fairly restrained if you actually look at what they say (Rention not paying attention, what a surprise).

The media on the other hand are about 1 step away from a running "death count" in the corner of the TV screen.

The WHO have put a Level 5 warning on this, that's (potentially) very serious Fop, you seem to be suggesting there is little to be concerned with when you make statements like this:

Even the death rate is ridiculous, most all deaths (that aren't being run over by a cactus ) are being attributed to it in places like Mexico, they haven't a clue about flu deaths or not most of the time.

You also belittle the problem in a couple of posts on the first two pages, flippantly suggesting that's it's some excuse for the government to raise taxes. In short, the usual Fop know-it-all bull shit agenda.

Most probably this won't even become a problem for the UK until winter anyway, if it becomes a problem at all. By that time of course the media will have forgotten all about it.

The WHO have put a Level 5 warning on this, that's (potentially) very serious Fop, you seem to be suggesting there is little to be concerned with when you make statements like this:

Even the death rate is ridiculous, most all deaths (that aren't being run over by a cactus ) are being attributed to it in places like Mexico, they haven't a clue about flu deaths or not most of the time.

You also belittle the problem in a couple of posts on the first two pages, flippantly suggesting that's it's some excuse for the government to raise taxes. In short, the usual Fop know-it-all bull shit agenda.

Most probably this won't even become a problem for the UK until winter anyway, if it becomes a problem at all. By that time of course the media will have forgotten all about it.

Yes they are looking at potential issues, not posting up spurious death counts (it's complete correct about Mexico btw - they have no real idea) and repeatedly speculating on how many millions might be killed, maybe. With an hourly update on how much panic there is. :aye:

It's not that Fop knows nothing, it's that no one really knows anything at this point, certainly not what is going to happen (although the sensible money would be on the death toll being less than 1918. Fop's said too much! :scratchhead:).