Surely ManUre second team will beat Hull, No?

shear class!

I dont think theres too much wrong in the other areas of his game either to be honest... I've never seen him spill the ball in the box, his kicking is on par, if not better than Givens, his reflexes are nowhere near Givens like but who's are?

If i had to pick out anything imparticular its that he doesnt seem to command the box as well.

I think we've been used to having someone like Given for so long that its easy to pick out the differences for a lot of people, therefore Harper being unfairly judged.

Never catches a cross, always punches (often back into danger).

Never comes off his line to close down

Evidently doesn't communicate with defence (Boro game proved that when instead of Harper booting it out of play, Bassong had to turn around and face the attackers).

He's a good championship keeper. He's not of Premiership standard however much we'd like him to be.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think theres too much wrong in the other areas of his game either to be honest... I've never seen him spill the ball in the box, his kicking is on par, if not better than Givens, his reflexes are nowhere near Givens like but who's are?

If i had to pick out anything imparticular its that he doesnt seem to command the box as well.

I think we've been used to having someone like Given for so long that its easy to pick out the differences for a lot of people, therefore Harper being unfairly judged.

Never catches a cross, always punches (often back into danger).

Never comes off his line to close down

Evidently doesn't communicate with defence (Boro game proved that when instead of Harper booting it out of play, Bassong had to turn around and face the attackers).

He's a good championship keeper. He's not of Premiership standard however much we'd like him to be.

Thanks again Shay, your loyalty during the Champions League and UEFA Cup seasons is commendable....

Guest alex

Fair enough like but (without having dropped any obvious clangers) he doesn't real look the part to me. I suppose we've been spoilt a bit by having the best Newcastle keeper in recent memory (if not the best) with Given.

Fair enough like but (without having dropped any obvious clangers) he doesn't real look the part to me. I suppose we've been spoilt a bit by having the best Newcastle keeper in recent memory (if not the best) with Given.

We've obviously been spoiled to some extent but I never rated Given as much as most people did. He was clearly a very good keeper but I don't think his command of the back line was anything to shout about and his distribution was usually average at best. He LOOKED like a good keeper from an acrobatic point of view on many occasions but I wouldn't put him in the Schmichel bracket by a long way. Bassong's had a few poorer games lately...Enrique was written off in his first season etc etc... the point I'm making is that I don't think Harper's costing us points although he seems to be the fashionable player to knock at the moment for some reason.

Guest alex

We've obviously been spoiled to some extent but I never rated Given as much as most people did. He was clearly a very good keeper but I don't think his command of the back line was anything to shout about and his distribution was usually average at best. He LOOKED like a good keeper from an acrobatic point of view on many occasions but I wouldn't put him in the Schmichel bracket by a long way. Bassong's had a few poorer games lately...Enrique was written off in his first season etc etc... the point I'm making is that I don't think Harper's costing us points although he seems to be the fashionable player to knock at the moment for some reason.

We're on the same page re: Given but he's a class above anything I've seen in goal for us all the same.

We're on the same page re: Given but he's a class above anything I've seen in goal for us all the same.

Yeah, I'm largely talking shit. <_<

Aye Given was far from the finished article but he's a million miles ahead of Harper.

Take the blinkers off man Asprilla - he's not good enough.

Guest alex

Nah, I agreed with you. You're right he's become a bit of a target of abuse and you're right it's unfair as he is the least of our worries.

true enough but his communication to the back 4 and kicking were shit. still are at city. other than that though, probably the best keeper in the premier league at most other things.... harper is not as good and currently plays rather too nervously for my liking.

This article in today's Sunday Times doesn't help my battered and twisted nerves at all <_<

Possible United team v Hull on May 24

Tomasz Kuszczak , age 27 (league games this season 3)

Richard Eckersley, 20 (1)

James Chester, 20 (0)

Jonny Evans, 21 (16)

Fabio Da Silva, 18 (0)

Zoran Tosic, 22 (1)

Darren Fletcher, 25 (24)

Darron Gibson, 21 (2)

Nani, 22 (12)

Federico Macheda, 17 (3)

Danny Welbeck, 18 (2)

I can't see Man U fielding anything different.

Given was a world class shot stopper, as good as any keeper, it was his command of the box and distribution that weren't as good as the very best. Harper obviosuly doesn't match Shay as a shot stopper, but he's looking poorer at commanding his area as well and his kicking and distribution have been very poor this time round.

I still rate Harper though, he has a part to play for us next season in either division, but i'd like to see Krull or whoever given a chance pre season to see which of the keepers looks the best and is in the bets form.

Nah, I agreed with you. You're right he's become a bit of a target of abuse and you're right it's unfair as he is the least of our worries.

Don't think he's the least of our worries like.. Beye or Bassong maybe, but not Harper.

Guest alex

Don't think he's the least of our worries like.. Beye or Bassong maybe, but not Harper.

Ok Craig, he isn't our biggest problemo though :(

The worry with Beye and Bassong is will they fancy the championship?

The worry with Beye and Bassong is will they fancy the championship?

The hypothesis I'm giving it is if we survive. If we go into the Championship, I reckon they'll both be away. I also reckon Harper will be good enough down there.

To be honest it depends on who owns us and who manages us?

Ashley and Kinnear? we'll lose the few good players we have (Beye, Bassong, Enrique) they'll be replaced by cloggers on inflated wages.

Ashley and Shearer? I'd expect us to keep a few of the better players, shear a few of the dead wood from the squad and give more chances to lercal lads

Gates and Shearer, whey it'll be Kaka, Raul, Barzagli, Nesta, et al... you know, past their best, but still got something to offer.

To be honest it depends on who owns us and who manages us?

Ashley and Kinnear? we'll lose the few good players we have (Beye, Bassong, Enrique) they'll be replaced by cloggers on inflated wages.

Ashley and Shearer? I'd expect us to keep a few of the better players, shear a few of the dead wood from the squad and give more chances to lercal lads

Gates and Shearer, whey it'll be Kaka, Raul, Barzagli, Nesta, et al... you know, past their best, but still got something to offer.

I don't want Mackem Eric anywhere near my club thank you very much <_<

This article in today's Sunday Times doesn't help my battered and twisted nerves at all <_<

James Chester, 20 (0)

Jonny Evans, 21 (16)

Fabio Da Silva, 18 (0)

Zoran Tosic, 22 (1)

Darren Fletcher, 25 (24)

Darron Gibson, 21 (2)

Nani, 22 (12)

Federico Macheda, 17 (3)

Danny Welbeck, 18 (2)

Ronaldo will be begging Fergie to play, thanks to the Anelka goal today. I think he may feature against Hull IMO he'll be begging he wants that golden boot all to himself.......

Any thoughts on this anyone?

James Chester, 20 (0)

Jonny Evans, 21 (16)

Fabio Da Silva, 18 (0)

Zoran Tosic, 22 (1)

Darren Fletcher, 25 (24)

Darron Gibson, 21 (2)

Nani, 22 (12)

Federico Macheda, 17 (3)

Danny Welbeck, 18 (2)

Ronaldo will be begging Fergie to play, thanks to the Anelka goal today. I think he may feature against Hull IMO he'll be begging he wants that golden boot all to himself.......

I think you're right he will want to play but i think Fergie will tell him he isn't!

James Chester, 20 (0)

Jonny Evans, 21 (16)

Fabio Da Silva, 18 (0)

Zoran Tosic, 22 (1)

Darren Fletcher, 25 (24)

Darron Gibson, 21 (2)

Nani, 22 (12)

Federico Macheda, 17 (3)

Danny Welbeck, 18 (2)

I think you're right he will want to play but i think Fergie will tell him he isn't!

Not even on the bench? I hope he does TBH..