Can we still stay up

Guest 80s casual

I think we'll only need a draw next week to stay up. But this set of players has been letting us all down, and falling short when basically anything is required of them, all season. So I pretty much expect them to once again fail us.

I think we'll only need a draw next week to stay up. But this set of players has been letting us all down, and falling short when basically anything is required of them, all season. So I pretty much expect them to once again fail us.

+1

We're fucked because we're shit.

Rumours of a fall out between Owen and Shearer seem to have foundation - the only relegation bonus for me is knowing that little cunt won't ever play for us again - was watching the new shirt launch the other day and if ever a bloke looked like he did not want to be there it was Owen - face like a smacked arse - disgraceful - would be typical of that wanker to spit his dummy out on the eve of our biggest game

would be typical of that wanker to spit his dummy out on the eve of our biggest game

Would it?

What are these bust-up rumours btw?

The guy on one of the local radio stations made mention of it yesterday morning - might be shite, obviously we will never know but to me his body language and demeanour on and off the pitch smacks of someone marking time - i don't have an axe to grind with him more than any other player but he genuinely has the appearance of someone who is desperate to be anywhere else

This.

And I'm getting sick to death of hearing people claim Owen's responsible for the mess we're in. He's not been the player we hoped he would, granted but that's on account of injuries than anything else - something he can't help. Current run in the side excepted, his scoring rate for us when he has played has been pretty damned good considering the mess the club's been in since he's been on the payroll.

There's 11 players on a field, 42 first team players in our squad.. .we can't blame it all on one player.

Daft thing is, a draw yesterday probably would have been enough to keep us up.

Aye :(

Mark 'Bastard' Schwarzer.... <_<

Guest alex
I don't blame Owen for our failings that would be ridiculous but i find his obvious indifference highly irritating.

Symptomatic of the club as a whole really. Run like a joke with Kinnear at the helm and the players doing what the fuck they liked etc., etc. You would have liked to think Owen could have given us something which might have helped keep us up in the last few games though.

the real tragedy is we had to resort to kinnear and hughton and calderwood as coaches. they are all not premier league quality and that ( and various other forms of indifference) have rubbed off onto the players.

I think martin o'neill may do us a favour. i watched motd yesterday and he seemed to allude to being happy with 6th. on decent form Villa would beat us quite easily i beleive. they have a much better squad, or at least first XI.

The really daft thing is that a win on September 13th would have made everything ok and would now have had the bottom three relegated. The makems shouldnt laugh, they would have been safe too!

Bottom of the table would be:

16 Newcastle 37 6 7 6 25 28 2 6 10 16 29 -16 37

17 Sunderland 36 6 3 9 19 22 3 6 9 12 26 -17 36

18 Hull 37 3 5 10 18 35 4 6 9 20 29 -26 32

19 Middlesbrough 37 5 9 5 17 20 2 2 14 10 35 -28 32

20 West Brom 36 7 3 8 26 31 1 4 13 10 34 -29 31

I don't blame Owen for our failings that would be ridiculous but i find his obvious indifference highly irritating.

Symptomatic of the club as a whole really. Run like a joke with Kinnear at the helm and the players doing what the fuck they liked etc., etc. You would have liked to think Owen could have given us something which might have helped keep us up in the last few games though.

Being unable or unwilling to turn things round on the pitch is, as you say, symptomatic of what has been wrong all season but last week , of all weeks , when there was a glimmer of hope on the back of the boro result and a real atmosphere of hope building ,to see his face like a slapped arse at the shirt signing was a really depressing sight and must rub off on the other members of the squad.

Not going overboard on him just something that riled me.

ask liverpool fans how owen was when he was about to leave them. the lads precious and all about the money (and trying to break the england goalscoring record). now that he's never going to play for england again, he's copped a strop.

ask liverpool fans how owen was when he was about to leave them. the lads precious and all about the money (and trying to break the england goalscoring record). now that he's never going to play for england again, he's copped a strop.

<_<

The really daft thing is that a win on September 13th would have made everything ok and would now have had the bottom three relegated. The makems shouldnt laugh, they would have been safe too!

Such a winnable game as well, even in adverse circumstances you'd think Home v Hull should be a banker. But I'd say of all the avoidable mistakes made this season the two periods of 'drift' under Hughton - especially the second, since it was clear he couldn't cope from the first spell - condemn Ashley more than anything else. It was neglect of the club, almost certainly cost us a lot of points, and is inexcusable really. We reached the ludicrous stage where the players felt compelled to ask the board if they could please have a manager!

In late February Llambias was still saying they were comfortable with Hughton and happy to wait for Kinnear's return. We were fucking haemorrhaging points at the time.

Such a winnable game as well, even in adverse circumstances you'd think Home v Hull should be a banker. But I'd say of all the avoidable mistakes made this season the two periods of 'drift' under Hughton - especially the second, since it was clear he couldn't cope from the first spell - condemn Ashley more than anything else. It was neglect of the club, almost certainly cost us a lot of points, and is inexcusable really. We reached the ludicrous stage where the players felt compelled to ask the board if they could please have a manager!

In late February Llambias was still saying they were comfortable with Hughton and happy to wait for Kinnear's return. We were fucking haemorrhaging points at the time.

The only up side (or at least slightly less bitter downside) is that if it was a money issue, at least it's going to cost them a lot more now.

But frankly the writing has been on the wall since before Christmas, even if Kinnear had not got ill we might be in the same position, although probably we would have squeaked a point or two more and just about been safe.

I don't think I can think of another example (at least where a club hasn't gone bust or something) where the beginning of the season can look so good (genuinely) and yet end up like this. <_<

Guest alex

I wasn't that confident going into yesterday. I thought there'd be another twist in the tail. I think there might be another one too. I fucking hope so anyway.

I wasn't that confident going into yesterday. I thought there'd be another twist in the tail. I think there might be another one too. I fucking hope so anyway.

If you look into AS's eyes in the Sky interview, he still thinks we can do it. <_<

Guest alex

If you look into AS's eyes in the Sky interview, he still thinks we can do it. <_<

We can. Battling draw would probably do it.

I can't shake the feeling that we're gone now. I don't see enough fight in this bunch of players to go there and get a 'battling point'. I can see Villa scoring and heads instantly dropping. O'Neil is a fucking mackem as well.

We can still do it, Villa aren't playing well at the moment and Man U will slaughter Hull even if the kids play.

7th place? <_<