AFC Wimbledon target return to Football League and move back to Plough Lane

Craig

AFC Wimbledon will unveil multi-million pound plans to move back to Plough Lane.

The newly-promoted Conference club, formed in 2002 when the original Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes, want to develop 6,000-capacity Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium next door to their former Plough Lane ground, which the club left in 1991 and is now flats.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...lough-Lane.html

If I was them, I'd be planning to call themselves Wimbledon FC again and ask that the history of the club is credited to them and not MK Dons.

Guest Stevie
AFC Wimbledon will unveil multi-million pound plans to move back to Plough Lane.

The newly-promoted Conference club, formed in 2002 when the original Wimbledon moved to Milton Keynes, want to develop 6,000-capacity Wimbledon Greyhound Stadium next door to their former Plough Lane ground, which the club left in 1991 and is now flats.

If I was them, I'd be planning to call themselves Wimbledon FC again and ask that the history of the club is credited to them and not MK Dons.

Already has been, they've got the FA Cup too. Was part of the FSA remit to allow MK Dons to be part of the Association, and they had to agree to give all memorabilia back to AFC.

:lol:

6000 cap? I reckon they'll average 4500 home fans.

This is good news, but Im guessing it'll depend on them staying in the conference.

Fiorentina did it, the club was effectively dissolved, and a new one set up with a different name but they were allowed to reclaim their identity a couple of years later.

Guest alex

Always thought they were a bit of a funny club in terms of fans (Wimbledon FC that is) as people from around there who were into football (which isn't that many) would have been into longer established teams like Fulham and Chelsea.

Edited by alex

Depend on them getting back into the league I should think Fish. Hope they do it :lol:

I'd imagine it's as long as they stay in the conference. I can't see them getting promoted for a while, there are a lot of much much bigger (and better) teams in the conference and the step up to League Two is massive.

My point is I can't imagine they'd talk about this now if it was a plan for League ascension.

Always thought they were a bit of a funny club in terms of fans (Wimbledon FC that is) as people from around there who were into football (which isn't that many) would have been into longer established teams like Fulham and Chelsea.

There's quite a few clubs round that way on a level with them. Kingstonian for one who are practically on their doorstep. It's a credit to them IMO that they do follow their very local clubs rather than head for the big boys.

I guess it's akin to us supporting Gateshead, Blyth, Whitley Bay or Blue Star rather than Newcastle United.

Guest alex

There's quite a few clubs round that way on a level with them. Kingstonian for one who are practically on their doorstep. It's a credit to them IMO that they do follow their very local clubs rather than head for the big boys.

I guess it's akin to us supporting Gateshead, Blyth, Whitley Bay or Blue Star rather than Newcastle United.

It wasn't really a dig or anything but I couldn't really suss out why the people who went when they were in the top flight or whatever supported them. Seemed like a lot of middle class JCL amongst the few I encountered.

It wasn't really a dig or anything but I couldn't really suss out why the people who went when they were in the top flight or whatever supported them. Seemed like a lot of middle class JCL amongst the few I encountered.

So you saw Fish then? :lol:

Guest alex

He'll fit right in anyway.

Guest Stevie

They averaged 23,000 on year. I view them as at least the size of Fulham potential. They draw their support from places like Purley, Morley, Kingston, Richmond etc...

They averaged 23,000 on year. I view them as at least the size of Fulham potential. They draw their support from places like Purley, Morley, Kingston, Richmond etc...

...Sutton and Croydon.

But the greyhound stadium at Plough Lane? (it runs around the racetrack) Thats where we've raced many times, run by Spedeworth. :lol: Surely they dont mean to get rid of Wimbledon stadium? It was always one of my favourite tracks to race as it was such a different atmosphere watching indoors. Dont think the National Hot Rods race there now but theres certainly still racing going on.

http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/raceways/wimbledon.htm

Guest Stevie

...Sutton and Croydon.

Croydon seems to be almost exclusively Man Utd and Crystal Palace fans from my experiences there. Sutton yeah, definitely, big Chelsea following in Sutton too.

Depend on them getting back into the league I should think Fish. Hope they do it :lol:

I'd imagine it's as long as they stay in the conference. I can't see them getting promoted for a while, there are a lot of much much bigger (and better) teams in the conference and the step up to League Two is massive.

My point is I can't imagine they'd talk about this now if it was a plan for League ascension.

Very true, Torquay were there 2 seasons and I think we all felt if we didnt do it this time we'd be stuck down there forever! At least two clubs go up now, but still its a nightmare.

I wonder why I presume all my posts will precede abuse.

You're all bastards.

fwiw there are a lot of premier league fans who go to the midweek games, or the games that fall on weekends where their own club is away. I go because my mate is (and has always been) a Wimbledon fan, it's cheap and it's a good laugh.

Guest alex

You're all bastards.

fwiw there are a lot of premier league fans who go to the midweek games, or the games that fall on weekends where their own club is away. I go because my mate is (and has always been) a Wimbledon fan, it's cheap and it's a good laugh.

I love you really. You stuck-up twat.

:aye:

You're all bastards.

I love you really. You stuck-up twat.

:aye::lol:

been to a few afc games and what stevie says is right. most of the fans are southwest londoners that have given up on the molesey/ walton and hersham/ kingstonian/ staines and sutton utd type of team (the ones that yoyo from conference to lower non league status.).

I hope they get a ground but from what i understood the greyhound track was to be demolished and turned into a tesco extra or something like that. I also beleive wimbledon council are not going to let this ride, and that afc are going to be stuck in the kingstonian ground for a while yet the nature of wimbledon as a place is that its not got much free space and the locals never really liked the ground being there when wimbledon were (relatively) successful.

the standard of football from what i have seen afc play over the last couple of years is absolutely shite. Its negative and the fear of losing is what drives teams, not playing good football.