Why don't the fans buy the club?

ackas

Ok, so explain Barcelona then? Aren't they the champions of Europe or something?

Ok, Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with worldwise support, a glittering hsitory who can attract the world's top players with their reputation. We're not. Ownership structure is some way down the list of differences here.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so explain Barcelona then? Aren't they the champions of Europe or something?

Ok, Barcelona are one of the biggest clubs in the world, with worldwise support, a glittering hsitory who can attract the world's top players with their reputation. We're not. Ownership structure is some way down the list of differences here.

Do all of their supporters agree on everything?

majority vote isn't it?

majority vote isn't it?

I think there's a small random selection of fans on the board and they also elect a president with a bit of nouse to do most of the work.

Probably not. But they've got a system that has been in pace for decades. People have grown up with it. So there is no decision to be made about the club being fan-owned or not- it just is.

Look at NUSC- the closest thing we've had in decades to a fan's group- and it's not been universally endoresed.

Given the complete lack of existing fan bodies, none have any pre-eminence and as such are vulnerable to splits and factions. I do not see us as a group of supporters who could collectively agree on a framework to take the club forward.

Look at NUSC- the closest thing we've had in decades to a fan's group- and it's not been universally endoresed.

I agree, but at the same time it's not been in operation for very long. The more it becomes established and the more it can get its act together, the more it will have credibility among more of the fanbase.

I can see the merits in NUSC, after all, other than a few disgruntled comments in a pub or message board nobody else has achieved anything constructive.

I think the fans MUST take a bigger stake in their clubs...as Wimbledon AFC have shown, clubs are not the playthings of businessmen going through mid life crises, they are the backbone of their communities and without representation at board level, or even complete ownership by the fans, we are always going to be subject to the whims of people who have no interest in the longevity of the club against short term profiteering.

What power would 10% give NUSC?

Too much quite frankly. Simply due to the fact at the moment they don't have the support of our fans.

Personally I don't think 10% is enough. Also nobody is going to give the fans a stake. They are going to have to get organised and grab a slice themselves.

10% is more than enough tbh but your point on grabbing the slice intrigues me. Grab it from where exactly? if we were floated on the stock market then yes, you could do that, pull some readies together and buy up enough shares to get you the required percentage. We are not and will not be in the foreseeable future therefore unless you are a master of mind bending or hypnotism then you're going to have to convince any prospective owners that giving the fans some representation is a good idea.

That is what is already going on, Colin Whittle of the NUSC is working tirelessly on us becoming a Supporters Trust and being recognised by the FSF and Supporters Direct. Thats the first moves to gaining representation in a football club. once you've done that though then you need the backing of fans, build up a membership and funds so that if they offer shares up for sale then you can buy in (I believe Manchester United Supporters Trust has about £3.5 million sitting in a bank account waiting for that to happen).

Ideally though, any prospective new owners would see the merits of having fans representation on the board and put aside a facility for them. Like I say it doesnt have to be much, just enough to give you access to the major decisions and accountability, that would ensure that if things arent being ran sensibly then at least they can shout about it and make people aware, that in itself is enough deterrent to ensure we dont end up in the kind of lunatic asylum we find ourselves now.

As Kitman pointed out, Barcelona is a totally different beast to the toon, yes both are well supported but Barca are more like an entire country or race with the Catalans than just another football club. its politics, religion and football all rolled into one.