Why don't the fans buy the club?

ackas

it's not at all feasible in the short term and probably not ever. What is possible is the long term aim of the NUSC which is to gain fans representation at board level through being a supporters trust (see our website for details).

boring

New plan. barca is owned by circa 156,000 according to that article. there's more than 156,000 newcastle fans, so why don't we take over barca and rename them to FC Newcastle, the Camp Nou to Park St James, and Etoo to Shola Ameobi, and lets all decamp to Spain.

Come on NUSC, there's a manifesto

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it's not at all feasible in the short term and probably not ever. What is possible is the long term aim of the NUSC which is to gain fans representation at board level through being a supporters trust (see our website for details).

I don't want to be represented at the board level. I want the board to represent me. If you change your aims then I will sign up.

boring

New plan. barca is owned by circa 156,000 according to that article. there's more than 156,000 newcastle fans, so why don't we take over barca and rename them to FC Newcastle, the Camp Nou to Park St James, and Etoo to Shola Ameobi, and lets all decamp to Spain.

I'm arranging a committee meeting as I type, consider it done

boring

I'm arranging a committee meeting as I type, consider it done

Couple of questions... can we still call ourselves a massively underacheiving club, everybody's second club, can we still aim to win the Premier League? Can we still take off our shirts and shoes?

Will the New Nou Camp sell shit, warm flat beer at excessive prices?

How are we going to find the money to buy players ?

If the money isn't there then we don't spend it.

Isn't that part of the reason we are in this mess???

It might mean that we have a spell where we struggle while we shake off the hangover of the debt burden that we have been struggling with for the last few years.

In the long term though, the income that we generate will stand us in good stead.

I would be interested in Barcelona's numbers.

How many fans? How much each? Where does the transfer wedge come from? How are decisions made?

FC Barcelona's ownership structure is revered across the world and regarded as a model of the ideal football club.

A group of Liverpool supporters plan to buy the troubled Anfield club from its American owners and run it using a system similar to that of the Catalan giants.

Barca is owned by its ever-growing membership of 156,366 'socis' (members), who pay 150euros each year and are represented by a randomly-selected group who meet with the board and vote on major decisions.

These representatives have a major say on significant issues such as sponsorship, finances and sporting affairs, while the president of the club is elected in four-yearly polls.

The achievements of the illustrious club since its founding in 1899 are testament to the ongoing success of the structure, as is the fact many clubs have attempted to copy the model over the years.

So why does Barca's system work so well?

All adult members are eligible to vote in the presidential elections every four years.

Club members selected randomly by computer and age, and 25 chosen by the board, join the directors, former presidents and other officials at the annual delegates assembly to discuss key issues, approve the annual report and forthcoming projects.

Only members can buy season tickets, with membership fees contributing to the overall price of the ticket.

Fiscal rewards for membership include discounted tickets for the club's various sports teams including football, basketball, handball and hockey as well as club magazines, e-mail updates, sporting and cultural activities and free entry to the Nou Camp tour and museum.

Ultimately, though, it is not the material rewards which make the Barca membership structure so prestigious.

In a modern game spoiled by disaffected supporters and unaccountable owners, it is FC Barcelona's utopian democracy which justifies its famous slogan 'More than a Club'.

22million a year!

You'd still need to shift some shirts and season tickets!

It might mean that we have a spell where we struggle while we shake off the hangover of the debt burden that we have been struggling with for the last few years.

In the long term though, the income that we generate will stand us in good stead.

How many fans? How much each? Where does the transfer wedge come from? How are decisions made?

FC Barcelona's ownership structure is revered across the world and regarded as a model of the ideal football club.

A group of Liverpool supporters plan to buy the troubled Anfield club from its American owners and run it using a system similar to that of the Catalan giants.

Barca is owned by its ever-growing membership of 156,366 'socis' (members), who pay 150euros each year and are represented by a randomly-selected group who meet with the board and vote on major decisions.

These representatives have a major say on significant issues such as sponsorship, finances and sporting affairs, while the president of the club is elected in four-yearly polls.

The achievements of the illustrious club since its founding in 1899 are testament to the ongoing success of the structure, as is the fact many clubs have attempted to copy the model over the years.

All adult members are eligible to vote in the presidential elections every four years.

Club members selected randomly by computer and age, and 25 chosen by the board, join the directors, former presidents and other officials at the annual delegates assembly to discuss key issues, approve the annual report and forthcoming projects.

Only members can buy season tickets, with membership fees contributing to the overall price of the ticket.

Fiscal rewards for membership include discounted tickets for the club's various sports teams including football, basketball, handball and hockey as well as club magazines, e-mail updates, sporting and cultural activities and free entry to the Nou Camp tour and museum.

Ultimately, though, it is not the material rewards which make the Barca membership structure so prestigious.

In a modern game spoiled by disaffected supporters and unaccountable owners, it is FC Barcelona's utopian democracy which justifies its famous slogan 'More than a Club'.

22million a year!

Does membership entitle you to see matches? Otherwise you'll have gate and TV money on top.

It does say the membership cash comes out of your season ticket....so the club would get nowt more.

...but let's not dismiss the pipe dream out of hand. it's just completely unfeasible, not impossible.

One of the things that saddened me about the last visit to Barca was a load of these members who were invariably old trying to flog their unwanted match tickets to people outside the ground - why not just go to the game?

22million a year!

Does membership entitle you to see matches? Otherwise you'll have gate and TV money on top.

They also have the benefit of being one of the most succesful and famous clubs in the world.

I know it was a flippant remark, but why cant the city of Newcastle buy the club. Could they not hold a referendum of poll tax payers. Surely the council could put together £80 mill and then appoint a board (including fans)

They would be the most loved council ever.

I am sure there will be some boring political rule that gets in the way, but The city of Newcastle, ie the peeps, should be able to own such a great institution which does wonders for the city over the years.

That's about 1/3 of the current budget. Can't see them penny pinching that much....or getting re-elected if they whack 33% on top of everyone's bill.

There wouldn't be universal support - look at the fuckers who objected to the new ground.

It's a pity Tyne & Wear was abolished - I would have loved the reaction if it had been mooted for all of those areas to pitch in.

Edit - Of course the TWDC did facilitate the SOL but you aren't allowed to mention that.

Edited by NJS

I know it was a flippant remark, but why cant the city of Newcastle buy the club. Could they not hold a referendum of poll tax payers. Surely the council could put together £80 mill and then appoint a board (including fans)

They would be the most loved council ever.

I am sure there will be some boring political rule that gets in the way, but The city of Newcastle, ie the peeps, should be able to own such a great institution which does wonders for the city over the years.

That's about 1/3 of the current budget. Can't see them penny pinching that much....or getting re-elected if they whack 33% on top of everyone's bill.

Well we could add North Tyneside and Gateshead councils as well. Naturally sand dancers and other outsiders would be denied access to the match, and rightly so.

Wasn't the last Prime minister a Geordie? Why on earth hasn't he secured our financial security with a multi billion pound loan from the IMF?

Why hasn't Basil Hume incurred heavenly intervention for that matter?

Or John McCririck use some of his exception betting tips to put a large wadge on a nag so that we've got enough money to buy the club..... :lol:

Think about it...

If the club can be had debt free for £80m then that is 40,000 fans paying 2 grand each.

Isn't Barcelona owned in this manner?

Wouldn't something similar work for our club?

:lol:

And then our running costs come from where exactly? :P

From the income that the club generates.

The income the club generates doesn't come close to covering running costs man :D

It does if you don't spend all of it. :P

You're either extremely thick or a WUM with a bit of brain. What's it to be?

I don't want to be represented at the board level. I want the board to represent me. If you change your aims then I will sign up.

Think about it...

If the club can be had debt free for £80m then that is 40,000 fans paying 2 grand each.

Isn't Barcelona owned in this manner?

Wouldn't something similar work for our club?

And then our running costs come from where exactly? :P

From the income that the club generates.

The income the club generates doesn't come close to covering running costs man :D

It does if you don't spend all of it. :P

You're either extremely thick or a WUM with a bit of brain. What's it to be?

Eh? I'm neither of those.

I don't understand why we have to rely on some Billionaire/Millionaire businessman/consortium to front our club.

The resources available to a well run and successful NUFC would dwarf most other clubs in this country.

Have a look at our revenue. It is more than enough to build success on. We just have to stop spending all of it on players like Viduka, Geremi, Owen, Duff, Barton, Smith...

As much as the fans of Barcelona own the club, I think they always have and therefore they bought it when the value wasn't so insane. Also a few of their fans are horrendously rich, add to this a 70'000 average attendance and the fact they are sponsored for pretty much everything apart from the shirt and they are doing ok.

Wasn't the last Prime minister a Geordie? Why on earth hasn't he secured our financial security with a multi billion pound loan from the IMF?

Could've claimed for it on expenses.

Chris Mort MP

1st home - near his law company

2nd home - St James' Park

Daily Telegraph this time next year:

So Chris, how do you justify claiming £2 million on Ameobi expenses this past year

Chris: :D