Why don't the fans buy the club?

ackas

Think about it...

If the club can be had debt free for £80m then that is 40,000 fans paying 2 grand each.

Isn't Barcelona owned in this manner?

Wouldn't something similar work for our club?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Think about it...

If the club can be had debt free for £80m then that is 40,000 fans paying 2 grand each.

:lol:

And then our running costs come from where exactly? :D

Think about it...

And then our running costs come from where exactly? :D

From the income that the club generates.

How are we going to find the money to buy players ?

If the money isn't there then we don't spend it.

Isn't that part of the reason we are in this mess???

It might mean that we have a spell where we struggle while we shake off the hangover of the debt burden that we have been struggling with for the last few years.

In the long term though, the income that we generate will stand us in good stead.

I like it. Feel free to take my business plan to NUSC

Step 1: Buy Newcastle United

Step 2: ???????

Step 3: PROFIT

p.s. Mike Ashley, please don't sue me for stealing your business plan

If the NUSC is to become anything meaningful then this is an opportunity for them.

A world away I know but Torquay did it, after a time of complete and utter game show goings on (during which time we dropped into the conference and were about to slip into obscurity forever) Finally the club was bought up by a consortium comprising of fans and local people. At that time Buckle was appointed manager he had only 3 players on the books! But we still made the Conference play offs that season and this season have gone up back to the league. No mean feat to get out of the conference when you consider the complete mess we were in.

£5000 staked by 100,000 members. That would get us a decent kitty after paying off Arseface.

I'd be up for it. 99,999 to go.

Facebook group anyone?

It might mean that we have a spell where we struggle while we shake off the hangover of the debt burden that we have been struggling with for the last few years.

In the long term though, the income that we generate will stand us in good stead.

I would be interested in Barcelona's numbers.

How many fans? How much each? Where does the transfer wedge come from? How are decisions made?

If the NUSC is to become anything meaningful then this is an opportunity for them.

OK, now I'm actually concerned that you might be being serious.... :lol:

I would be interested in Barcelona's numbers.

How many fans? How much each? Where does the transfer wedge come from? How are decisions made?

FC Barcelona's ownership structure is revered across the world and regarded as a model of the ideal football club.

A group of Liverpool supporters plan to buy the troubled Anfield club from its American owners and run it using a system similar to that of the Catalan giants.

Barca is owned by its ever-growing membership of 156,366 'socis' (members), who pay 150euros each year and are represented by a randomly-selected group who meet with the board and vote on major decisions.

These representatives have a major say on significant issues such as sponsorship, finances and sporting affairs, while the president of the club is elected in four-yearly polls.

The achievements of the illustrious club since its founding in 1899 are testament to the ongoing success of the structure, as is the fact many clubs have attempted to copy the model over the years.

So why does Barca's system work so well?

All adult members are eligible to vote in the presidential elections every four years.

Club members selected randomly by computer and age, and 25 chosen by the board, join the directors, former presidents and other officials at the annual delegates assembly to discuss key issues, approve the annual report and forthcoming projects.

Only members can buy season tickets, with membership fees contributing to the overall price of the ticket.

Fiscal rewards for membership include discounted tickets for the club's various sports teams including football, basketball, handball and hockey as well as club magazines, e-mail updates, sporting and cultural activities and free entry to the Nou Camp tour and museum.

Ultimately, though, it is not the material rewards which make the Barca membership structure so prestigious.

In a modern game spoiled by disaffected supporters and unaccountable owners, it is FC Barcelona's utopian democracy which justifies its famous slogan 'More than a Club'.

OK, now I'm actually concerned that you might be being serious.... :lol:

There was a BBC documentary about Barcelona, which followed Joan Laporta after he was elected as President.

Its probably available on YouTube.

I can't think of any reason why the Barca structure wouldn't work when applied to our club.

Obviously its a bit more complicated than me rolling up to the training ground tomorrow and having a word with Derek and Clive. However I would have thought that the NUSC would be an appropriate vehicle to see if this is a goer.

Or are we all just going to sit around waiting for another Ashley to turn up???

Do you seriously believe there's time to organise something like this? The season kicks off at the beginning of August. Before then a manager and his staff have to be appointed, a massive overhaul of the whole club needs to be set in motion, and half the squad need to be moved on and replaced. Do you reckon the banks and Ashley are just going to hang around paying the bills till the NUSC arranges all this? :lol:

Lets assume all the practical problems can be overcome and enough people are willing and able to stump up enough cash to make such a thing possible, you are looking at a period of years not weeks for something on that scale to come together. By which time the club will have been long sold. Barcelona is a unique institution; you can't replicate something like that just because you admire it. Not a fucking chance of it ever happening.

New plan. barca is owned by circa 156,000 according to that article. there's more than 156,000 newcastle fans, so why don't we take over barca and rename them to FC Newcastle, the Camp Nou to Park St James, and Etoo to Shola Ameobi, and lets all decamp to Spain.

Come on NUSC, there's a manifesto

Edited by Neville Neville Neville

it's not at all feasible in the short term and probably not ever. What is possible is the long term aim of the NUSC which is to gain fans representation at board level through being a supporters trust (see our website for details).

Think about it...

And then our running costs come from where exactly? :P

The income the club generates doesn't come close to covering running costs man :D

Think about it...

And then our running costs come from where exactly? :P

The income the club generates doesn't come close to covering running costs man :D

It does if you don't spend all of it. :P