Laser Eye Surgery

donaldstott

I wear glasses most of the time and daily lenses occasionally but reckon it's time to get my eyes lasered. Not for vanity, more for convenience.

But for every person you speak to who say best decision I ever made there is another who has a horror story.

Anyone had it done? Is it painful?

Had it done 11/12 years ago - one of the best things I've ever done.

In my case it was unpleasant in that I had to have 2 ops on one eye (a year apart) and on all 3 occasions I had a bad 24 hours afterwards which I coped with by sleeping as best I could (plus TLC from my Mam) but it was still well, well worth it.

I also think the techniques have moved on which would even take that unpleasantness away.

Every optician and opthalmologist ive spoken to says dont get it done as the long term side effects arent known.

Genuine concern or naked self-interest?

Every optician and opthalmologist ive spoken to says dont get it done as the long term side effects arent known.

If I wait to find out the long term effects I'll be in my fifties when it's virtually impossible to look good wearing sunglasses!

What's the point, you'll still not see anything.

When I read at night my eyes hurt.

You need genetic enhancements, not glasses. Book a short trip to N Korea.

If I wait to find out the long term effects I'll be in my fifties when it's virtually impossible to look good wearing sunglasses!

All treatments have unknown long-term consequences, I'd take the chance personally if it was me because, well, glasses are shit aren't they?

I'm sure Dr Noisewater will have an opinion. <_<

All treatments have unknown long-term consequences, I'd take the chance personally if it was me because, well, glasses are shit aren't they?

I quite often like lasses wearing geps for some reason.

I quite often like lasses wearing geps for some reason.

:D Spunk deflectors :lol:

Can't watch the vid but when I describe the process most people balk when I mention being able to smell the burning lens flesh and it smelling like pork cooking <_<

I had this done 7 years ago. Even if it reverted to the pre-op quality tomorrow i would still say it's been worth it.

So are you back to wearing glasses already?

No, where does it say that? My eyesight is still very good.

I had this done 7 years ago. Even if it reverted to the pre-op quality tomorrow i would still say it's been worth it.

They do warn you that it is possible as a "natural" consequence of ageing - much like anyone with perfect vision from birth can still need glasses late on.

Can't watch the vid but when I describe the process most people balk when I mention being able to smell the burning lens flesh and it smelling like pork cooking <_<

The surgeon who zapped me claimed the smell was ozone cause by the laser.

Ozone is formed naturally in the atmosphere, as a colourless gas giving a very pungent odour It is the ozone formed by lightening discharges during a thunderstorm which gives the air its characteristic fresh and clean smell afterwards. An ozone smell can also be detected around office copy machines and laser printers. In fact, ozone in air can be readily detected by smell at concentrations as low as 0.01 ppm

Sorry you wrote pre-op and I read post-op...

The missus had hers done a month ago at Optical Express, after service has been great.

She said it wasn't painful, just a bit weird having your eyes pinned open and people buzzing around.

Don't forget to haggle on price. We asked for a discount and got £300 off, then rang up and said Optimax were £200 cheaper and they said they'd price match - even though we never went to Optimax.